DT cutting out

Andy68
This post is 4122 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me with a problem I have when selecting first gear. The bike starts fine and ticks over but when I select first gear it stalls. The kickstand is up properly and clutch pulled right in when selecting gear. Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the stand switch and its wiring.

Find the connections in the headlight and bypass of need be.

clutch plates arent slipping.... try reving it to say 3,000rpm then knock it into first gear with clutch pulled in should jump a fraction but cover the front brake incase it pulls off on you.

if it jumps but still stalls increase the revs a litlle more next time

i only say this because mine does it if its been standing a couple of days, and i havent changed the gear box oil in a while

woops sorry forgot to add, you could try kicking/elec starting it over in gear then see what happens you might feel the bike wanting to go forwards or then again it might be the stand switch the process of elimination

Thanks for the replies, the bike has been standing for about two weeks perhaps it needs a good run ( if the weather ever breaks ), The gear box oil has recently been changed so perhaps a good run will sort it out.

My Dt also does this the first time i run it after its been standing a while - i tend to keep the rev's up the first time a select a gear after that its fine (make sure you apply the brakes before putting it in gear though !)

Dtdan that is not a good idea. Put it in gear and rock the bike with the clutch in. Keeping the revs up and clunking it into gear can damage the dogs or the selectors.

assuming it is the clutch plates sticking it would jump forward when put into gear, if it doesnt jump forward it is likely to be one of the safety switches.

Dtdan that is not a good idea. Put it in gear and rock the bike with the clutch in. Keeping the revs up and clunking it into gear can damage the dogs or the selectors.

Its not an idea its a fact ! i always use this method and providing you keep the revs fairly low (3000 is fine) and select without forcing, the clutch free's off.

As for damaging selector forks, guide pins, selector drum etc - you must know something i don't because in the 15 years i've been working on 2t 125cc engines (on road and offroad) i've never seen this happen !

As with most things in life there is more than one way of obtaining the result, my way works for me although i would agree your method is probably more suitable in this instant (if the clutch is at fault) :razz:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online