ThunderCat first bike

stuntman
This post is 6338 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm new to the road bike world but i've just started learning CBT on SAt and a few lessons then off for a 5 day DAS in a few weeks. i'm quiet stocky and looking fro my first real road bike. i did like the GSXR600 or R6 but seam too small for me, and i have been told a little too daft for my first bike. i was recomended a thundercat but i can find much out about them. would they be recomended as a started sports bike? are they that much slower that the others? i.e will it struggle to keep up with my mate CBR600RR?

please help.. just got change of a cheap cosmetic damaged thundercat ...

cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought a R6 as my first bike fella..........

i like the r6 but they is no room on it for me i'm quiet stocky and my elbows stick out all over. i've had a nighmare getting leathers to fit a 54 chest and a 34 waist. 750s seam more roomy but as a first bike seams a bit daft for me...

your thundercat would keep up with the cbr no problem, its a case of who's got the biggest balls on the twisties :P dont forget to downgear it...maybe 1 or 2 teeth smaller sprocket on the front :D and that will give it some extra acceleration B)

I had a Thundercat for my first bike, and it was absolutely brilliant. I covered 36k miles in just under 3 years and it never let me down once. It would keep up with other 600's and was competent in the corners. You may need to play about with the suspension a bit to harden it up just a little, but that would go for any bike getting it to your preferences. I'd say the Thundercat over the R6 for a first bike ... and I now own an R6. Get some experiance first and some 'no claims bonus' behind you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just got a YZF 600R thundercat for my first bike it has a nice soiled feel to it

make you feel safe on it at speed.

my brother inlaw as a GSX 600 i have no trouble in keeping up with him at fast

speeds.

The Thundercat is a nice first bike.

• Admin

I sooo nearly brought a thundercat, they had one in the garage before i brought my 750, the 750 swung it as the insurance was almost the same!

Ive just got a YZF 600R thundercat for my first bike it has a nice soiled feel to it

make you feel safe on it at speed.

I so hope you mean nice solid feel.

I wouldn't want to be riding along thinking, "hmm this bike has a nice soiled feeling to it, the previous owner must have shit himself several time to get it to feel like this"

• 2 months later...

I wanted a Thundercat for my first bike but settled for a mint 1992 FZR 600 which is currently challenging my wife for my affections...

Its a bit like dating a bad girl after the choir girl 125 I have ridden for the last 11 months.

• 4 weeks later...

ive currently got a thundercat and its still my first bike after ridding 3 yrs its never let me down, servicing it it piss easy and a diy job, the only thing that is causing expence is tyres as i use the cat as a daily transport, fantastic bike if you can get 1 in good condition, as some have been neglactied as i found out when looking origionaly.

im fairly stocky myself and have no probs with the bike at all, the slightly bulbous fairing is great at keeping the wind and to a point the rain off you as your going along.

if it was just my decision then id say go for it!

Ive had a Thundercat for six weeks since I passed my test. I'm 6'0 and shall we say heavyset and I'm told it fits me well and thats by the kind of people who would tell the truth.

It's the nuts after about 6500rpm but up until then totally usable for a beginner. Somthing happened the other day that took me by surprise though I was travelling up the A1 snicking the gears up and down nice and smooth a quick blast etc and all of a sudden I just started laughing in my helmet like a nutter it just all felt so gooood.

Clearly another of those little biking pleasures that no one actually says but is summed up in that little nod to one another as you go past

Buy it now

Edited by Joolz

• 2 months later...

I've just bought a Thundercat and cant wait to ride it. It has a little cosmetic damage (slight to r/h/s fairing) but will come with new tyres and 12 months MOT. I got it for just over £400 under the CAP price and got a good trade in price for my wee Divvy.

Glad to read some of the more chunky (athletic) guys find it suitable as i think i fall pretty well into that catagory. ;)

• 7 months later...

I have a thundercat aswell and it too is my first bike and i have great fun on it mind you couldnt keep up with mates R1 but gave it a bloody good go.As for speed its good for just over 150 so will keep up with most 600,s.Very good riding so smooth and as its a sports tourer and not a full on sports bike you dont get back ache if traveling lots of miles.

• 3 weeks later...

ive just passed my das and bought my first bike-yup a thundercat. absolutely love it! both my cbt and das instructors said a cat or a cbr for a first bike, tried both but its the cat for me. I don't think you'll regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Thundercat for my work hack. Its fast reliable and economic. I get 50 to the gallon, I turned my tyres blue in the summer, and its easy to work on. I do about 500 miles on it a week and am up to 50k.

Ive taken this week off work to service it and get the back shock rebuilt. So it just happens to be in bits waiting for the shock to come back :D

And I am just about to replce the back tyre, Ive got BT020s on it and I have just had 7500 miles out of ythe back and its still (just) road legal :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I can't see any reason why the Cat wouldn't be a great first bike. OK it's a bit on the heavy side in comparison with bikes like the R6 and CBR600 but that doesn't really affect it and when you do go to upgrade you'll appreciate the lighter bike even more.

I bought one two months ago as an upgrade from my DT125R and I still enjoy winding the throttle on and feeling that smooth rush of power. Downgearing should make it fun to wheelie as well if you're into that kind of thing.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online