Getting a screw/bolt out with no head

Phil Carlsen
This post is 4148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all, just wondering if there is any tips around for getting a stubborn air screw out of a carb?

The head has nothing left on it to grip and it's pretty small to get at, i was thinking

maybe to buy an extractor kit but if there's a cheaper alternative i'd rather do that.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hmm, difficult

I can only think of a couple of options, both involve some neat drilling

1) Screw extractor. Normally available as part of a set. Drill down the centre of the screw, the extractor then screws in anti clockwise to unscrew the screw

2) You can buy reverse fluted drills. When put against the head of the screw and the drill switched on, it may unscrew the screw.

Either of these options is not for someone inexpirienced, risk of damaging the carb

Can you get the carb off and take it to a local engineering workshop?

thanks for the reply, i'm quite capable of doing the job i was just hoping i didn't have to buy an extractor

kit.There's a shop near me that could possibly do it, i think i'll take the carb down on monday and see how much he will charge

to do it and replace the screw. :)

+1 for the extractor drills, i.e. "Easy out" sets.

make sure you know the size of the screw or the part number before you extract it, im not familiar with your bike type but if it is a bleed JET and has a hole in it as soon as you use an extractor on it you will need to replace it as it is no longer a metered size.

good luck to you :)

Take a hack saw and cut a new slot in the screw,even if you have to cut into the carb your not going deep enough to hurt anything.

Then warm it up before you try to remove it.

thanks for advice, but sadly is still stuck! I've done the usual flathead screw driver trick but looks like the only way to get this out is extract it.

As for the "hacksaw" idea, it's way to deep into the carb to even think about trying that one,

I'm going to take the carb off today and see if my local shop will get it out for me without costing much :praying:

Appreciate all the help :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online