Mod 2 and ice

Grover
This post is 4153 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive got my Mod 2 on monday, and with the weather we've been having recently, ive been thinking about ice, and how to deal with it properly (IE. to keep an examiner happy that im not gonna kill myself)

is there a proper way to traverse a patch of ice, or do we just avoid it wile the plague and ask the examiner to use another road for the route?

thanks fellas

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What time is your test? by about 10:00 the roads should be clear of any ice, if there is any.

Bear in mind the examiner will take road conditions into consideration.

Good luck with your test and let us know how you get on

Forward planning :icon_wink:

I don't want muddle your head with too much to think about on the test but if there's a chance of ice, think ahead.

Its likely to be in the shade of a tree/bridge/tall building cos the sun don't get too high in winter

If you hit some, try to travel straight, don't grab for the brakes, keep a bit of power on

Mikes right, the examiner will take account of conditions, and is likely to know which of the routes will be least affected by the conditions, and select accordingly

Above all, be confident, keep calm, and good luck

the sest is at 9:17 :(, guess id better keep a god eye on the road and hope that sunday night/monday morning will be a little warm

thanks fellas

Good news Grover, just looked at the BBC weather satellite for my area. It's going to be 8 degrees above freezing, I know you are more north than me but it looks good.

Anyway, as I said before, all the best and let us know how you get on.

I cant see that frost will be a problem because by 09:00 not only will the roads be frost free but a lot of traffic would have used the roads making it more warmer.

just failed the test because of some absolute retard at a roundabout

approaching, he appeared on my right, indicating LEFT (so we would never have crossed paths)

as i committed, they suddenly decided to go right, set off before i was clear, and the examiner judged that i should have anticipated coming across a retard

then a boy racer had a good try at killing me within 3 minutes of leaving the test centre!

im ready to kick the crap out of something now

You have my sympathy Grover. but just think... these things will only help hone your riding skills. (always look on the bright side...?)

true, but failing exams is an expensive way of finding flaws in your riding, and its annoyying when it could have saved you £75 had they known how to indicate properly

true, but failing exams is an expensive way of finding flaws in your riding, and its annoyying when it could have saved you £75 had they known how to indicate properly

Buggers! Sorry man... didn't even think of the cost for your tests. :( It only costs $10 for the skills test, $3 for the knowledge test, and $15 for the instruction permit... far too easy to get a motorcycle license here (IMHO).

I don't really trust other drivers or their indicators and I was taught that on my CBT, so I only commit to pulling out when I actually see the vehicle follow through.

If that was the only fault then there isn't anything to worry about on your next test - apart from other drivers of course. Are you able to book another test before the change in January? I had the unfortunate experience of going around a roundabout and meeting up with a cyclist and only after a few minutes in to the test. Wasn't really sure what I had to do so I just stayed behind him and thought I had failed for some stupid reason but ended up passing at the end. Watch out for them cyclists too, I've heard people failing because of them.

Hard luck Grover. A lot of people don't know how to indicate properly.

Quite often I see a driver coming towards me and when we get to a mini roundabout they put their right indicator so I stop to give them the right of way and they carry straight on. Also a lot of people don't even indicate at all so when you think they are going straight on they turn right in front of me.

As Sacha said, look on the bright side, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

As others have said you can't trust indicators, what would you have done if the car wasn't indicating? That's the answer you need and keep in your mind for the future.

Good luck and don't give up.

You know this day and age you would think moving a stick up and down would be so simple everyone can manage it!

It's absolutely disgusting the amount of lazy people out there on the roads.

It's a shame you failed pal, hope it goes better next time

thanks, but i didnt manage to get a test slot before the change in jan ("reserved" a space in case one frees up though!)

how will the change affect me? will i have to retake any tests? and will i still be able to ride myself to work with only the certificates i have right now? (CBT, Theory, Mod 1)

thanks

What age are you grover. Heres the link to the changes

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/learning-to-drive

scroll down to motorcycle practical test. Go to sect 8 and its all there.

Bummer about not getting a test date. As I said earlier, there must be a rush on. My boy had to wait 6 weeks from mod 1 to mod 2. He failed that and cant get another date until 11th December

Sorry to hear you didn't pass, but stick with it, you're so close!

I'm afraid I don't know how the changes will affect you I'm afraid.