Homebrewing

Grouch
This post is 4104 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm thinking about turning my bedroom into a microbrewery. I've always fancied having a go but I am a complete novice. I imagine brewing wine would be the easiest? I've been looking at wine kits on-line and it seems cheap enough, the only doubt I have is the quality of the finished product. Also I would think it takes a lot of time, effort, and mess, is it worth it all?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ive done it!

the best results i got where from stout but thats not every ones cup of tea but i liked it

if your after a decent larger or anything with some fizz you wont get the desired results unless you invest in some kit that can inject co2 into the liquid, these screw on co2 bottles pressurise the barrel but dont inject it into the beer.

ive gone the keg and bottle route and ive never been able to produce a larger with a decent taste and a decent fizz so all in all its rubbish unless you invest in some proper kit or your happy drinking flat beer or stout, i know 2 other people who bought the same kit as me and they both dont do it anymore.

i tried the better quality sugar and yeast also using heater belts to regulate brewing temp, putting the extra brewing sugar in bottles to try and give it some fizz

i was looking into getting the whole pressurised system with the co2 bottle and inline cooler with a bar pump - keeping all the barrels and co2 bottles in the shed running a line into the house where the bar pump would be but to be honest your looking at spending a decent wedge £500+ on kit.

its one of them hobbys where you go whole hog or dont bother, wine i do belive is a different matter and alot of experimenting in flavours can be acheived, ive done some rose wine for my girlfriend and she drank them bottles quicker than the local tramp knocking back cider

you will get pissed no doubt but i rather drink for taste hence the reason i dont do it anymore

cheers

ken

I tried it in the eighties (wine) took about two or three months to brew and a weekend to drink then I had to start all over again much to the missus annoyance. Unless you do it in a big way and are very patience you'll lose interest.

Don't believe it Grouch, you can make a good brew from just about anything but the ready made kits are ok for starters, give it a go and you will see how easy it is, just buy what you need and if it rings your bell then buy the extra stuff to get really into it. I would suggest you start with a wine first as it doesn't take to long to brew and you can "TEST" :buzz: it on a regular basis, just do it and see for your self.

Agreed its not hard to get good results with the basic kit, Wilkinsons do starter kits and I have always got two of their own brand home brew kits on the go at any one time.

Currently I have 80 pints brewing, 40 pints need bottling this week, I just use the 2L plastic bottles that Cider or lemonade comes in from supermarkets.

For a simple wine all you need is non diet fruit juice, Sugar, yeast & yeast nutrient and you can make a smooth white that's drinkable in 2-3 weeks.

Have a look at this forum for some ideas and recipes. (The wine is called Wine No.1)

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/index.php

I got good results with the stout but larger all 3 times was utter shite!

Got to remember everyone tastes are different, you find the ale which doesn't need to much in the way of fizz gets good reviews like the stout!

Maybe you should post up what sort of stuff you like to drink!

I'm just about to start my 3rd brew. The first one (a Pilsner) was a bit flat, but I don't think I primed it enough before bottling it. The second brew - an Australian Pale Ale - has got plenty of life in it. Hopefully I've got it sussed now! I'll find out when the next brew is ready!

FYI, I bought a starter kit, and invested in some 1 litre bottles. I find 2 litre bottles a bit too much, especially as my brews come out between 9 and 11 % abv!

i did wine for a while and very successfully. I just got pissed off cleaning all the time, it took hours to do properly.

my best wine was banana and rose petals, lovely. My bro came home one day to find all his roses in the garden gone.

I also did a sherry which was very nice too the alcohol was increased by adding a bottle of vodka.

a cheap easy one to do is elderflower champagne

http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk/growing/wild-food/elderflower-champagne-recipe

was up at leicester uni last night with some old mates, we ended up mulling our own cider and stayed up until 3am drinking and listening to pink floyd, was a very mellow time, man :|

oh no there werent any funny cigarettes, just normal tobacco, i get drugs tested at work :(

the cider was good though, just looked the recipe up on google, bought the spices from tesco and lumped it all in the biggest saucepan we could find, couldnt find a strainer so it was like proper scrumpy

fuck knows where he got it, was looking at it on his iphone as we staggered down to tescos to get the stuff after Soar Point served me a john smiths that was 90% line cleaner... will ask him

EDIT: Mulled cider recipe

Tried making wine when I was a student and it tasted like paint stripper. 9 bottles drank in 2 days (5 of us).. great laugh but ill for about 4 days after.

Go for it!!!!

If you are making wine start with the 6 bottle youngs kits. They come in a tin and are failsafe and really good. So simple to make, open tin, pour into demi-john add sugar water and yeast, wait a while then add stabiliser and shake like fuck a few times..wait a little while longer, et-voila! perfect clear tasty wine!

The elderflower and sauvingnon blanc are good in white, for red blackberry or black cherry are delicious. About £8 for 6 bottles..

.... add sugar water and yeast, wait a while then add stabiliser and shake like fuck a few times..wait a little while longer, et-voila! perfect clear tasty wine!

Hey sickness

Thats a great set of instructions

1/ Add ingredients

2/ Wait

3/ Add stabilising agent

4/ Shake like fuck.

If all instructions were worded like that most guys would probably read them. :whistle::whistle:

easy wine kit , 1 homebargains ,

2 pay cashier £2.99 1ltr bottle of cheep wine

3 go home get pished.

4 fall asleep.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online