Wd40 on front brake.

Liam Wallace
This post is 4148 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Good evening everyone.

Yes i am that big of an idiot i managed to get wd40 onto my front disk.

Just wanted to clarify between two bits of advice i received from my bike riding friends on how to solve my obvious braking issues.

1 I will need to buy new pads and try not to be such a fool again.

2 clean disk off with a clean cloth then go out and brake until it burns off my pads.

What one is correct?

Thank you.

Liam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

brake cleaner should do the trick :) although the chances are the pads will never be as good again

I dropped my pads into a bucket of brake fluid when I was doing the seals (oops) then dried and cleaned them back up and they worked fine the times I had the bike out, BUT I will still be changing them for next year

Good evening everyone.

Yes i am that big of an idiot i managed to get wd40 onto my front disk.

Just wanted to clarify between two bits of advice i received from my bike riding friends on how to solve my obvious braking issues.

1 I will need to buy new pads and try not to be such a fool again.

2 clean disk off with a clean cloth then go out and brake until it burns off my pads.

What one is correct?

Thank you.

Liam

Yes clean the disc with degreaser but dont ride on the pads. Take them out and using 80grade paper sand off any contamination.

Then refit and treat them like new pads for a few miles..first 20-30 so they can bed back in again.

They should be fine then.

A friend thought he was doing me a favour by blathering my brakes in WD40 to stop them squeaking. I had to use brake cleaner and replace the pads. The pads did work to an extent, but not to a satisfactory level.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online