fork oil and amount

yamahayzf
This post is 4149 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the fork oil comes in different weights depending on how stiff/soft you prefer the suspension. The amount of oil would probably be listed in the manual. If all of the old oil isn't drained you'll probably want to measure the height rather than the volume. ?? But others probably have a better idea. I don't have a yzf so I've no idea what all needs done for the fork oil change. I'd recommend getting a manual though. :)

It's notjust pour in the right amount it's a max min level depending on your weight. As well their is a complete procedure for removing the air to obtain the measurment do it wrong and you start allover.

I have the factory shop manual and the spec is "01"oil.... oil level euro130mm,, 140mm USA CANADA 5.12 in +-3.15~5.91 fork compressed with spring guide installed compressed measured from the top of the tube with the damper rod compressed no spring. Now is the part where a suspension shop come in they can set it up better for your weight as you can fill it from 3.15 to 5.91 depending on your weight. Tomuch oil for your weight and blown seals again not enough and you bend your damping rod or crush the valving.$$$$$$$

To remove the air you have to stroke the damper rod 10x after filling the tube then re fill,then stroke the outer tube but do not exceed a stroke of 7.9in or this will cause air to be traped and you start over. Wait 10min and take your measurment

Next ;the damper rod must be adjusted to min of 20mm,0.79 in locknut to top of rod again this setting depends on your weight and how fast or slow you like the damping what type of track your riding.

I will fix anything on any bike but when it comes to suspension on my wr that I leave to the pros. at protech suspension.

Next ;the damper rod must be adjusted to min of 20mm,0.79 in locknut to top of rod again this setting depends on your weight and how fast or slow you like the damping what type of track your riding.

I have a 1998 FZX 250 and the damper rod is a fixed length, non adjustable.

It appears the only adjustment available is the amount of fluid and weight you put in.

It also has distance pieces that are thin wall tubes 110 mm long.

I was told 350ml each leg, This sounds correct as the there was 300ml in when dismantled.

I agree and it makes sense to control amount of fluid to riders weight and to take your time when filling. Just can't understand the bit mentioned above.

Probably perculiar to the later YZF 250

RegardZ.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online