TDM 850 Project

Screw Guernsey
This post is 4163 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, it's been a while since I've been on here. But I have acquired a new project bike, picked up at a very VERY reasonable price! It was a runner, but hasn't been started for a while. Needs an exhaust system, as there isn't one on it at all! New battery also required, and a screen. Might even treat it to some fresh fuel!!! Then I'll see if it starts and runs. Not sure quite what I'll do to it. Maybe just a fresh coat of paint in my fave colour! But I'm always open to suggestions as to what I can or should do with it!

4jv0pk.jpg

aaeiax.jpg

swbrpx.jpg

286rdoi.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well that's the beast sprayed in her new livery. I went with something a little different - leather effect! I haven't seen any other bikes sprayed like this - it's definitely a one off original!!

b6pkco.jpg

A couple of close ups of the paint effect:

pq2l3.jpg

sex4w1.jpg

The photos don't do it full justice - I reckon it looks better in the flesh.

Looks great .........and what a great way to skip finnishing the body down smooth...How do you do it?

To be honest, I came across the effect by accident when painting a previous bike. Basically, I just wiped the existing paintwork down with a dry cloth, then sprayed straight over it with GraviGuard stone chip paint. As it dries, it separates and cracks. I then just sprayed over it with primer and then matt black top coat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, she's finally up and running. Alarm/immobiliser removed, exhaust and new battery fitted. New fuel in, and started almost straight away, having not run for over a year! I need to get some rubber under the silencer exhaust brackets, and do final alignments on the pipes, but she's ready to roll. I definitely need to get smaller indicators now though, so they miss the silencers!! I know the setup won't be to everyone's liking, but I like it, as it's different!!badgrock.gif

2holpoh.jpg

2ithdfp.jpg

jayo3t.jpg

i got that effect when i used petrol proof laquer then sprayed over the top with black when i never got the laquer right didnt realise it would go all cracked...

you could spray with a bright orange then laquer then black so all the cracks would be a different colour - now that would look different

ken

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online