Re fitting barrel (DT 175)

This post is 4179 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello again, the Dt developed a head leak so I have removed the barrel and ordered a new gasket set, I thought it best while I was at it to check the faces were flat but I now have to re fit and I dont have a piston ring compressor, as there are only two rings I was hoping it should be easy enough.

I was planning on cutting a slot in a piece of ply and sliding it under the piston and around the con rod to lock it in place. any suggestions or hints gratefully received.

Soon I shall have adjusted and replaced everything on the bloody thing and by then I hope to be able to ride it :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sam your idea about the ply is a tried and tested method. all I will add is...pack the crankcase with rags, in the unlikely event you break a ring It'll keep it out of harms way.

It's quite an easy job on a single cylinder bike though I dont think you'll have any bother with it

Thanks Paul, yeah good plan, should the worst happen I dont fancy trying to fish bits out of the bottom of the engine.

oh thanks for the heads up on allens performance. really nice bloke, ive now got a few sizes of jets to try, ill post some pictures when its all back together.

while were on the subject there is another method

Remove the piston from the rod and offer the top of the piston and rings into the barrel leaving the pin hole exposed.

Place the pin in the deep freezer for 1/2 hour

Heat the barrel / piston up in the oven to about 60 degrees C

Then position the piston to align with the small end of the rod and bearing

Finally slide the cold pin with some oil on it into position and fit the clip

Rags still applies in case you drop the clip

while were on the subject there is another method

Remove the piston from the rod and offer the top of the piston and rings into the barrel leaving the pin hole exposed.

Place the pin in the deep freezer for 1/2 hour

Heat the barrel / piston up in the oven to about 60 degrees C

Then position the piston to align with the small end of the rod and bearing

Finally slide the cold pin with some oil on it into position and fit the clip

Rags still applies in case you drop the clip

This is the way I have used, but it is easier with my bike as there are 4 long studs that slide through the cylinder barrel, I then use a small wedge of wood to hold the barrel up off the base of the engine to allow me to use both hands to slide the conrod and gudgeon pin.

• 2 weeks later...

had 7 thou skimmed off the top of the barrel, No problems fitting it back over the rings, I oiled the bore and just squeezed the rings with my fingers. waiting for a converter to arrive so I can torque down the head.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online