XJ600 running in netrual problems

FattPatt1984
This post is 4158 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My XT600 was stolen from outside my house, so i brought the cheapest bike i could... Been a XJ600 from ebay 360 quid...

But came to do the mirror repairs needed for a MOT and came across this problem that has thrown me completely:

My XJ600 wont run in netrual if the side stand is down... Keep the clutch pulled and it'll run, let go and it stops with the stand down... Side Stand up and it'll sit in netrual no problems... The Netrual light is on in netrual and the light goes off in gear. Theres no wierd noises from the engine.

I know about the kill switch on the stand, but i thought that only worked if i put her in gear...

Any ideas as what the problem could be?

I did drop the bike in the back of the van though while getting it home. But the front brake lever punched a hole in the van's ply lining and stopped it going over completely...

any help would be great...

Someone surgested it could be the clutch lever switch, when i posted in the wrong section of the forums. but havent got round to looking at that yet. Wanted to see if there were any other surgestions before i havea look sunday.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 1 month later...

Right, just a update on the problem....

I think the engine has had it... slips in 6th gear, the oil keeps coming out of the overflow so i'm gona replace the engine... it has done 80k+...

But solved the problem of it not running in neutral while on the side stand...

STOPPED using the side stand cause i found the CENTRE stand under a thick layer of oil/grease

problem solved for now :)

Very common problem that I always address 1st thing after getting home with every newly aquired bike....

BYPASS the Sidestand switch! :eusa_whistle: ............ :icon_wink: