bad vibes

Bob22
This post is 3585 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I am a new member and hope one of you bright boys out there can help me,

I own an XJ900s Diversion and love the bike the only problem I am having with

her is vibration that sends me hands to sleep,

I had her servised about 1500miles ago and when I asked the chaps at the garage

about the numb and tingly fingers the answer I recived was " Oh yes they all do that ".

Has anybody else had this problem and if so is ther a FIX.

I awaite with eger anticipation any replies.

Bob :blink:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hiya bob.

I ride a 600, and have the same problems, and so has everyone else i know of.

the only thing that helps a bit is to try not to grip the bars to tight, (easier said than done on bumpy roads! ) and stay out of the buzzy rev range -- on the 600 it's around the 4K rev range where you get the nasty vibes, i think its the same on the 900 isn't it?.

other than that the only other thing i do is wear thick(ish) winter gloves all year round :)

Roll on pay rise, so i can start saving for a Fazer 6 ;) one day ........ :huh:

Guest Tomg

i did have that problem in the very revvy area on my bike but it was due to my grips being cheap and crappy. i have now brought some new thicker MOTRAX ones which are much more comfortable. hope this helps.

Engine vibes are common to just about all Divvie's and peak at about 4500rpm.

Making sure your carbs are balanced will lessen it to some extent, but I found the best solution was to stay out of that rev range; when I had a divvy 600 I kept it at about 5 - 5.5k, fine in most situations, and good engine breaking too! Around town that was too high on the 900 though, so tended to hold 4k, increasing to 6 on the twisties.

Oury makes a nice pair of sticky grips that absorb vibes well, that I've used in the past on my XJ's & my RD also........another possible vibe relief would be a good pair of weighted bar-ends........got those on the RD as well & gotta say, they do the trick ;)

Bob....all the Divvys are vibey....you can't avoid it.

However if you suffer from numb fingers there is an answer....and I've found it after years of discomfort.

Hand guards....it won't eliminate it completely, but you'll notice a big difference.

Hiya bob.

I ride a 600,  and have the same problems,  and so has everyone else i know of.

the only thing that helps a bit is to try not to grip the bars to tight, (easier said than done on bumpy roads! ) and stay out of the buzzy rev range -- on the 600 it's around the 4K rev range where you get the nasty vibes,  i think its the same on the 900 isn't it?.

other than that the only other thing i do is wear thick(ish) winter gloves all year round :)

Roll on pay rise, so i can start saving for a Fazer 6  ;) one day ........    :huh:

Hiya bob.

I ride a 600,  and have the same problems,  and so has everyone else i know of.

the only thing that helps a bit is to try not to grip the bars to tight, (easier said than done on bumpy roads! ) and stay out of the buzzy rev range -- on the 600 it's around the 4K rev range where you get the nasty vibes,  i think its the same on the 900 isn't it?.

Roll on pay rise, so i can start saving for a Fazer 6  ;) one day ........    :huh:

Thanks for advice Ill try and keep out of the 4000-4500 rev range, If I get a pay rise I would go for the FJR 1300s I wish,Iwish I really wish.

catch you again.

Bob :P

Bob....all the Divvys are vibey....you can't avoid it.

However if you suffer from numb fingers there is an answer....and I've found it after years of discomfort.

Hand guards....it won't eliminate it completely, but you'll notice a big difference.

Hi Pete thanks for taking the time to reply, You mention hand guards

are these the type that you see on the off road bikes. I am willing to give this a go. Bob. :rolleyes:

Oury makes a nice pair of sticky grips that absorb vibes well, that I've used in the past on my XJ's & my RD also........another possible vibe relief would be a good pair of weighted bar-ends........got those on the RD as well & gotta say, they do the trick ;)

Hi Would you say double the weight of my bar ends ?

This sounds simple must give it a go on Monday , Ill let you know how I get on.

Many thanks Bob B)

i did have that problem in the very revvy area on my bike but it was due to my grips being cheap and crappy. i have now brought some new thicker MOTRAX ones which are much more comfortable. hope this helps.

HI , I have had a pair of softer grips fitted, but after about 30 miles my hand is white and numb still thanks for taking the time to reply

Engine vibes are common to just about all Divvie's and peak at about 4500rpm.

Making sure your carbs are balanced will lessen it to some extent, but I found the best solution was to stay out of that rev range; when I had a divvy 600 I kept it at about 5 - 5.5k, fine in most situations, and good engine breaking too! Around town that was too high on the 900 though, so tended to hold 4k, increasing to 6 on the twisties.

Hi Baz, will make an effort to kepp to the rev range you suggest. If this dosent work

I will have to convince me misses that I need a bike like yours.

many thanks. Bob :)

• 8 years later...

Hello

I have the xj900 diversion. what i have done which helps and will make you all laf is this. gel heel pads for ladys shoes around the frame for the seat to sit on and also under the fuel tank so it also sits on them, a round mouse matt with the gell rist rest cut then put between the tank and the seat held in by the seat cuts down the vibration on ya man bits. Now you may laff at this but trust me it all works a little and that little helps and it was all very cheap off fleebay. Mouse matt 99p, Gel heels about £3 for 20. Have a go its a cheap part fix. Most things Gel are good for stopping vibration. I did read once on the yamaha xs1100 owners club site that somebody put clear gel into there handlebarrs they claimed it worked a little.

14 years between posts in a thread, that has got to be a record..............................hasn't it?

• Like 1

It most definitely would be, tho the 9 years on this thread is pretty good as well eh :icon_wink::icon_wink:

It most definitely would be, tho the 9 years on this thread is pretty good as well eh :icon_wink::icon_wink:

Oooop's. Obviously I can't count at the minute. Tough couple of weeks hence not much progress in my projects. :zzz:

• Like 2

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online