TDR 250 problems that I really ought to know about...but don't

bonnietiler
This post is 4184 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As a cret...novice when it comes to all things TDR..my last 2 stroke, a 1968 YDS5E back in 1972...yes I'm really THAT old!

Could anybody guide me through the main reasons why I ought to wear stout walking boots and have a fully paid up road recovery membership in operation?

Did the TDR have an achilles heel and are there any warning signs I ought to be aware of?

Much thanks in anticipation of your recommendation that it'll be a fine trans continental tourer..ahem..

Cheers

bonnietiler

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye bonnie " only gripe i heard of is oil light [ bulb] Q_ Cynic = :babyha:

Sereously tho , fuel tanks are paper thin / my mate has one , he says cranks are fit for only 6000mls,, :eusa_think: dont kno if that true,

uh oh, your not gonna like this.............

So you want SPECIFIC bad points, not content with knowing every arrival is a bonus huh.

First off, they rot like cheap fruit, i'm not kidding not uncommon for uk bikes at this vintage to have holes in the frame under the seat, the tank thickness is measured in microns too. It is complex, small, bloody expensive to replace and rots from the inside out. Little bubbles in the paint is a good indicator. While were on about the tank. Make sure you have a 2stroke bottle with a filler tube. The castrol 2T is pretty good as the position of the filler makes it impossible to fill otherwise.

The plastics are equally nasty, they will crack if abused, even the slightest spill will wreck the bodywork, even overtightening will do it. The seat is not good either after 60 or 70 miles.

Ah 60-70 miles, ridden properly thats all you will get from a tank, restrained cruising will get you nearer 90 maybe 100 miles from a tank but thats about it, works out at about 45MPG absoloute tops. You can get down to 25mpg if you really try.

As were on MPG we may as well get to the engine, ALL the usuall 2 stroke worries here, not so many as the suzuki's though with their self destructing power valve. The TDR engine has the waterpump seal for that, when it goes the resultant goo gets sprayed over the rear wheel from the vent! The powervalve needs to be in good nick and set as well as the carbs having to be set just right for her to fly. Do not never ever let the exhausts blow, if you can hear it it will kill the motor. The gear linkage falls apart too, a 600 divvy set up will swap without too much stress.

Wheels, if still on the spokers they dissintergrate unless you get them rebuilt, they also rot from the inside out (heard that before). Alloys make the steering lively but are generally ok. So long as their fitted right as the bike was only ever sold with spokes.

Front disk can warp and overheats pretty quick.

Suspention is pretty good esp the front end, that is divine, feels weird to start off but you get used to it, they generally sit a bit low and soggy on the rear, jack up plates are a common mod. Jap stuff had an ally sw arm and damping as well as preload on the shock.

Electrics are ok, a good battery is usefull. She will run without it but it can make some odd things happen with the PV and will stress the charging system, the headlight by the way is fucking A for a bike of this age.

Thing is all of that goes away on your favorite road as the bike has a tiny hessitation at 5500rpm then hit six wide open and hang on. The top 4 gears are spread across 50 to 100mph so she will sing till you get nicked or run out of talent.

That by the way is the biggest problem, there ain't many left cos an awful lot got smashed. Red mist, dangerous, performance bikes reconed Cliff Richard could get points on a tdr, well ridden avoiding the flat fast stuff anything 600cc and under is fair game.

Bring it........

I can just about cope with fuell consumption/range etc having run a Triumph Hurricane...many many moons ago 30 mpg 2 gallon tank.

I'm impressed with the brakes front and back although I reckon I might have to fiddle with the master..it has little feel..maybe it's that R1 Caliper?

Unsure whether to fit an original caliper or a narrower bore master?

Any ideas?

I've got to be honest this is my fun bike...hopefully... I run an 07 Rocket for touring and such, the Pyrennes was an intersting experience on it last year, I dreamt of something like a TDR then!

Much thanks for the help so far

Cheers

bonnietiler

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online