fully comp but rider not covered

spermwail
This post is 4160 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi everyone .. first time on forum so be gentle with me .. i just phoned bennets to add panniers to my fully comp insurance (£70 per year for my xj600 well i am over 60 so it should be cheap) .. and was told that did i know that most motorcycle insurance policies do not cover the rider for his/her injuries ? for this you need personal injury insurance which cost me £33 more per year .. so all the years i have been riding bikes i have not had injury cover even though i always have fully comp .. the moral is just because you have comprehensive insurance dont take it for granted that you have cover for your body in the event that some .... in a car causes you to damage your body .. the bike is covered plus any third parties but not the rider ?? is it just me being ripped off by bennets or is this the norm .. i only wanted to add the panniers as every added extra needs to be insured or they use it a get out of paying clause in the event of an accident .. any thought's on this ... spermwail

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not sure I understand this. If someone hits you then you might have a personal injury claim under normal insurance. If you injure yourself then you would be covered under the NHS, unless you are saying that some/all bike policies cover private self injury healthcare?

I'd recommend reviewing your insurance policy docs - I know sometimes they try to sell extras that aren't always needed, because it isn't like they get enough money out of us... In fact I get this most of the time when ringing my insurance companies for the car or bike! It could be that you're covered up to a certain amount, and that the extra they are trying to flog you is for those really bad accidents that you just don't want to think about...

If it turns out that you aren't covered for personal injury (despite being fully comp) then it may be a good idea to look elsewhere?

Alternatively, if you have personal injury cover elsewhere (perhaps with your bank), then it's definitely nothing to worry about, just as long as the policy docs state you'd be covered in a road accident.

you don't get personal injury in a car either, its the vehicle that's gets insured along with 3rd Party.

so what every one is saying is..

Even without personal injury. provided that the person that hits you "not your fault" was fully comp HIS/HER insurance will pay for your injuries?

But if you crashed in to some one els "your fault" then your fully comp would pay for other peoples injuries, but not for you own??

Thats what I get as the jist of what every one has said.

hi .. when we get full comp insurance we think every angle is covered but that is not true .. what bennets comprehensive policy says is the rider is not covered for his/her injuries .. yes we get free treatment ..

so if you cause your own injury while biking even with fully comp you are not covered for loss of bodily parts .. but your bike is covered for loss of bits and bobs .. plus all third parties are covered ..

on my full comp car insurance it states if i lose a limb or an eye i get paid out for this but with bennets full comp bike insurance i get nothing for loss of bodily bits ..

for this i would need personal injury insurance ..

my full comp car policy covers me the driver and anyone else for injury so why is the bike policy different ??

this is not stated anywhere when you go on comparison sites which i think is wrong (even though i love the meerkats) it needs to be stated up front ..

i have spent ages looking right through my documents and nowhere does it state the rider is covered for injury to him/her ..

yes i will be on to bennets today to take off the personal accident insurance as it was only set up as an extra yesterday ..

i enjoy my bike and try to do the right thing but fully comp should be fully comp covering both the rider and the bike and we should not have to take out an optional extra for rider cover ..

i will post a reply when i try to extract an answer to this from bennets later today .. meanwhile me and my bird are off on the bike for a run .. ta ta for now

hi .. well i got my payment back and cancelled the personal injury insurance .. now i just have fully comp ..

young lady on the phone at bennetts assures me that no insurance company in uk covers the rider for injury to him/her this has to be an added extra ..

when i asked her why the comparison sites do not tell you this she replied thats the way it is ??..

insurance is nothing but a rip-off anyway without all the get out of paying clauses ..

i will take my chances without the extra as long everything else is covered ..

yes we had a great ride for a couple of hours into liverpool can't count the amount of pot holes or sewer tops set too low trying to catch out the biker .. ta ta

Not sure I understand this........If you injure yourself then you would be covered under the NHS

DT.... The NHS is not insurance. There is a system in which fees are charged back to the insurance company, Once you book in via A&E, details are recorded and 'somehow' it goes via insurance, I'll check with the coding girls how it all happens,

I know they do some treatment codes at the end of the episode, but i'm sure a lot of it charged back to Primary care.

DT.... The NHS is not insurance. There is a system in which fees are charged back to the insurance company, Once you book in via A&E, details are recorded and 'somehow' it goes via insurance, I'll check with the coding girls how it all happens,

I know they do some treatment codes at the end of the episode, but i'm sure a lot of it charged back to Primary care.

That is not quite what I meant Neo.

I understand the "tariff" system but am not sure of any reconciliation back to individual insurance claims. My, limited, understanding is that the PCT's/Commissioning body pays based on the patient record coding. We get patients for local private plastic surgeons where something has gone wrong mid surgery and they are quickly sent to "us". I don't think that we send them a bill. The only chargeback I know is if a patient is not entitled to NHS treatment (ie a visitor to the country) and then we struggle to get any cash back for them.

Airhead - yep mate.

hi .. if you have comprehensive insurance for a car you the driver are covered for personal injury as part of the policy

but if you get fully comp for a bike you the rider are not covered for injury unless you take out extra cover so to me its not fully comp if the rider is not covered ..

yes you get treatment at hospital but nothing else ..

if you have an accident in a car you get a lump sum payment for injury to you the driver if you lose a bit of your body but not so the rider of a bike you get nothing .. so its a rip off as is all insurance ..

I once saw on tv that after a rider was killed in a biking accident (no other vehicles involved) the council/highways agency sent a bill to his family for the cost of fixing the road... They apologised eventually & said it should have gone to his insurance company. I wonder if he wasn't fully comp whether the family would've had to pay...?

Doesn't surprise me that insurance companies charge extra as riders are more likely to be severely injured even in a minor accident than they would in a car. I think the personal injury includes cover for loss of earnings etc

• 1 month later...

something else you may not realise..........

if you have seperate insurance for your bike and car

to protect each other no claims

it dont matter

i just got a call from my car insurance the other day

they say because i had an accident on my bike policy my car insurance premium goes up???

i had 1 years ncd with the bike and 13 with the car

i asked them in that case i should have 13 with the bike and would it be the same if i sank a boat how would that affect my car

apperently any claim goes onto a main database and just screws you when you try to renew

be aware

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online