1970 DT1 Oil Seal replacement

RogerD
This post is 4132 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Haven't been here in awhile...had another bout with congestive heart failure that kept me down for a bit. Ready to start on my restoration - 1970 DT1.

I know we've been over this all before, but i need to replace the oil seals. Can I just pull them off the ends of the crankshaft without splitting the cases, and just press the new ones in?

Any tricks or advice? A good source for the seals other than ebay?

Roger

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yip rodger , you can remove the old seals from the crank, after flywheel , and pinion gear removed, two or three self tappers screwed into old seals, to aid removal,

yeah greetings again Roger, as blackhat said...maybe with a bit of a blow over from a hot air gun just to warm them a bit first.

According to the parts list the seals are

Right side...SW-42-72-10

Left side...SW-30-72-10

You should be able to pick them up cheaply at any good industrial bearings and seals supplier...Far cheaper than Yamaha packaged ones :thumb:

Thanks for your help! I've never changed them this way before.

The bike runs, but kinda rough and I always like to get them running well before starting restoration work.

Hopefully the seals will do it. I didn't do a leak test, but suspect that's the case...

Roger in Florida

th_DSCF0006.jpg?t=1325713176

Had another case of Congestive Heart Failure last Thursday.... Got out of the hospital last night. I'd still be there if they decided to do the bypass surgery....

Felling better, may even do the oil seals this weekend!!!!

Rog

:yeahthat: Hope you stay feeling better! Take care of yourself.

• 1 month later...

Finally felt good enough to work on the bike.

I am trying to replace the clutch-side oil seal on the crankshaft.

I have the clutch removed.

I have the nut and gear removed from crankshaft.

I removed the large c-ring, and It looks like there is a large washer behind it holding the oil seal in place.

I,m afraid to just start prying on it. It looks like there is a sealant of some kind around the outer edge of this washer.

Advice???

Thanks,

Roger

Yeh rodger" i scewed two self tapping screws in , to give me some purchase, thier will be sealant on outers edges of seal,

. just wrestle it out, , :smash:

Sorry for the delay - I've been trying to put a photo in here for half an hour......

What I'm talking about is not the seal itself, but a big copper-colored washer keeping the seal in place right? I have a new seal, but not a spare washer.....

Still trying to post a phto from photobucket - drives me nuts!!!!

tn_gallery_21379_50_33056.jpgtn_gallery_21379_50_30707.jpgGot it!!! I was fooled because the old seal looks different than the new one. The metal was part of the seal.

Do I need to put some sealer around the outside lip of the new seal before pressing it in?

tn_gallery_21379_50_31954.jpg

tn_gallery_21379_50_29535.jpg

Thanks for the help!

The seal popped right out with the screw just into the metal face of the old seal.

Now I'll do the Magneto side and see if it runs a little smoother..

Roger

tn_gallery_21379_50_922332.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online