just when you think it cant get worse.... your clutch goes

Migthy Mule
This post is 4185 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well, thought I had it all sorted, set of early for mot this mornin but on the way my f left indicator stopped working, turned out to be a bad earth, but buy the time I had sorted it and got to the garage there wasn't time to mot it as they finish at 1 on sat.

to make matters worse on the way home my clutch went light and then stopped working, there seems to be very little resistance there, I wound all the adjusters as far out as they would go just in case but it made no difference. any pointers of where to start greatly appreciated

on the plus side I did get to ride the bike for the first time in about 4 years and its loads lighter to push on the walk of shame than the suzuki.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:lol: if it werent for bad luck youd have none at all

put some slac into the cable,

push the operating arm on the engine mounted operating lever forwards untill you feel resistance

check the pointer at the end of the operating lever...against the pip on the casing

adjust the clutch pressure plate adjuster to align these two

adjust cable for around 5mm free play end of clutch lever

well, I took off the cover and it turned out that the lock nut on the end of the push rod was loose, (1980s DT 125 bottom end), following the instructions in my Haynes manual I adjusted it to the pip on the case but when the lever is pulled in it has no affect, though I can see the pressure plate moving out it wont disengage

by continuously adjusting everything as far as it will go I can get to the point where it allows the bike to be pushed though there is a little resistance but at this point the lever dose nothing it still moves the operating arm and there is pressure there but its already as disengaged as it will go and when the lever is released its exactly the same,

Am I missing something obvious. I still have the right hand case off so there is no oil in there but I dont think this would cause it.

could the lock nut becoming lose have caused some damage elsewhere?

Did you turn in the screw till it bottomed out then out 1/8 of a turn before tighting the lock nut with the cable as loose as possible?

Order of adjustment.

1 loosen or remove cable

2 adjust free play at basket ( locknut and screw

3 install cable and adjust

If the arm has been installed in the wrong position then it will never line up with the case,, just take the free play out fo the push rod then worry about lining everything up.

Put it together and adjusted it as far as I could, got a small amount of free play at lever but the clutch still drags slightly, wondering if I should try a different grade oil ive put 10/40 in,

good news is it passed its mot on Saturday :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Massive thanks to you all for your help, especially Airhead seems like its been a long road and its not over yet still a few niggles to sort but at least I can ride it now,

Had to mot both my bikes on Saturday and the Dt was the star of the show. I lent it up against the wall at the garage (no stand) and went in to pay, when I returned to it there were two blokes stood admiring it, I was greeted by "where did you find this little treasure mate" , looking forward to showing the guys at work tomorrow just got to gently run it in over the next couple of weeks. thanks again all

Great stuff Sam It's been a bit of a journry for you eh...It's always nice to see one of the DT's returned to the road...Hats off to ya and dont forget to post up a piccie eh?

keep in touch

Oh yeah...if the clutch is dragging a bit and you havent over filled the oil and if it doesnt get better after youve run the motor in why not try some thinner oil

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-934-motul-transoil-10w-30-lubricant-for-gearboxes-with-wet-clutch.aspx

Stripped down the clutch today and cleaned all the plates with a bit of petrol, I noticed there was a little surface corrosion on the plates so I polished them up with some very fine wet n dry and a little auto sol . Success, nice light clutch working properly :thumb:

Ive done about 100 miles on it gently so gave it a little stick today, feels like its boging down a little so think ill try a smaller jet its got a 160 in at the moment any ideas where I can get a 150 from i cant find it on yambits or wemoto, thanks

Sam" search Mikuni jets on ebay, thers lots,,, & more bogging down issues, thers a thead here someplace,, :eusa_think: airbox . etc

Stripped down the clutch today and cleaned all the plates with a bit of petrol, I noticed there was a little surface corrosion on the plates so I polished them up with some very fine wet n dry and a little auto sol . Success, nice light clutch working properly :thumb:

Ive done about 100 miles on it gently so gave it a little stick today, feels like its boging down a little so think ill try a smaller jet its got a 160 in at the moment any ideas where I can get a 150 from i cant find it on yambits or wemoto, thanks

Sam buy your jets from allens, they are genuine ones not pattern...so you can trust what it says on the jet, might be worth buying a few different sizes they increment in 5's at this size

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/

Thanks both,

ill give allens a call on monday and yes at the price i should likely try a few sizes, Im assuming that by sealing up the air box propperly i have reduced the air flow,

I have not oiled the air filter yet, its dry but once I do there is no going back

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online