Help me identify this bike

kaneys
This post is 4197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

stuff it heres some more

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_DT400

Even the site for the link you gave me says your wrong.. haha...

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-dt400c-19751976_model8553/partslist/%21SERVIC1.html#results

Also your list says it was not available in USA, Canada, Europe, Oceana or Japan.. Gee a special model built for Africa.. back then would have sold heaps.

Thanks anyways..

So now can you stop wasting my time please airhead and Nev.. thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not out to be rude I posted on this site to get some genuine help as to what this bike is. I thought this site had genuine motorbike enthusiasts and someone may have had some experience in these types of bikes I certainly wasnt ready for the bagging sarcasm and false info that followed. I am not posting as a joke I have posted all the info i have on this bike we are aware the numbers are unique hence why we are looking for info.

How rude are you!

I am sorry you felt i was being rude I wasnt the one posting winky faces etc If i cant suggest someones guesses are wrong how am I to get to the right answer. Maybe it is a slang barrier between australia and america Im just trying to figure out what the bike is. Yamaha Australia are struggling to work it out so clearly the answer lies in the US.

Well you know what they say "you can lead a horse to knowledge, but you can't make it think"

http://www.cmsnl.com...C1.html#resultshttp://www.cmsnl.com...C1.html#results

Check the 500 out at the top of the spec sheet, then go look at your barrel again.

A lot of us on the forum are uk based.

The issues we have sometimes is that we try and help using the information we have gathered over the years. As with all things Internet, half of it is just plain wrong. Even official service manuals of their time are not correct as they seem to change parts on a whim.

Any hybred bike will be difficult to get plain and clear information on. Even simple things like cables may have come from something completely different. That is just the way it is.

When guys try and help they are giving you the best information they can. We often get questions about similar things and any diagnosis online is going to be a best guess which is based on common faults with a model, standard fault finding protocol or similar experience.

Even if people have tried to help and the information that they have shared is wrong. Due to wrong information out in internetland, this often helps as it can eliminate things or lead you closer to getting a definitive answer. As frustrating as this can be you have had assistance from some of the most knowledgable and respected guys here.

Er, that's about it from me.

Thank you DirtyDT, I do understand that some info on the internet can be incorrect. I know it will be difficult to get a complete answer online but we are getting a better picture.

The first reply I got in this forum was a smart arse comment and I think if you read the posts you will see it was not rudness on my part but confussion due to the fact that Airhead & Nev were saying the DT400C is serial Number 475-XXXXXX

That every other Web site and now Yamaha Australia Say 475-xxxxxx does not exsist. Instead of saying ok then lets rethink this like lots of others are and have done on other forums. They are more obsessed with proving they are right and that is not helpful.

Thank you for your concern

By the way Nev you crack me up mate

Fair dinkum

Just throwing something onto the fire here.

I'll use my DT as an example. It spent its first 5 yesrs as a private enduro ride and was found as part of a house clearance.Its an 81 frame with 79 cdi a 125/175 hybrid engine with parts from at least 3 bikes. I have cut and modded the frame too.

I know cos its all me i have had the bike from 16. Wifey moans about needing a bloddy big coffin come the day i drop off.

Could this explain your bike. Mine in truth is just a 175mx as far as it goes but if you get into the numbers it makes your head hurt.

Just a thought. 40 years is plenty for your bike to have been mauled.

Just re-read over the thread and theres a couple of points, I'd like to clarify.

Also your list says it was not available in USA, Canada, Europe, Oceana or Japan.. Gee a special model built for Africa.. back then would have sold heaps.

Thanks anyways..

So now can you stop wasting my time please airhead and Nev.. thanks.

You'd be surprised the later DT'S, TDR's, TZR's were country specific, ie France, Italy and Switzerland being a couple that spring to mind, all being in EUROPE, but not being supplied to Europe as a whole until a year after.

The first reply I got in this forum was a smart arse comment and I think if you read the posts you will see it was not rudness on my part but confussion due to the fact that Airhead & Nev were saying the DT400C is serial Number 475-XXXXXX

I've read, re-read, and read again, and nowhere can I see I answered in any relevance to a 475-xxxxxx serial number, what I did do was to re-iterate that the model code for a DT400C is 574.Somewhere for you to use as a start off, to find whatever serial goes with a 76 DT400C.

Personaly I think someone needs to sit on the naughty step, until they come up with an apology.

So Nev your saying that the the DT400C model is 475 but the engine serial number could start with 401-XXXXXXX.

If this is so please look at my original post.

At first glance it looks like a DT400 engine in a MX250B frame, but the guys at Yamaha had it for a couple of weeks and said there have been Modifications

Frame # 509-007392

Engine # 574-000323

there is a 50000 stamped under the head fins

From what I can see the 574- engine number is not a dt400 number at all

Based on the above why would you be focussing on the model code at all if it has nothing to do with what I asked..... Gees.. talk about not being helpfull

More rudeness

Personaly I think someone needs to sit on the naughty step, until they come up with an apology.

Personaly I think someone need to sit on the STOP POSTING step, if your want to keep going on about some model code.

No apology coming from me mate, stop holding your breathe you with pass out..

Just throwing something onto the fire here.

I'll use my DT as an example. It spent its first 5 yesrs as a private enduro ride and was found as part of a house clearance.Its an 81 frame with 79 cdi a 125/175 hybrid engine with parts from at least 3 bikes. I have cut and modded the frame too.

I know cos its all me i have had the bike from 16. Wifey moans about needing a bloddy big coffin come the day i drop off.

Could this explain your bike. Mine in truth is just a 175mx as far as it goes but if you get into the numbers it makes your head hurt.

Just a thought. 40 years is plenty for your bike to have been mauled.

Thank you Cynic, I appreciate your input. We did think of that Yamaha had the bike for a couple of weeks and come up short on what it is apart from the fact the frame appears to be a mx250 frame and that it is original. They also believe that the engine is 500cc, but it is possible that it is a hybrid done by yamaha.

So Nev your saying that the the DT400C model is 475 but the engine serial number could start with 401-XXXXXXX.

If this is so please look at my original post.

Erm nope, I'm saying your 400c engine is a 574, hence the pic of the model code I posted as the 400c engine being a model code 574

574p.jpg

I'm also saying that your engine is a 500 series for 1976 and not the 1977 1m2 series that it became. thats on the CMSNL website link I sent you.

now yer doing it on purpose, ya must be.

From my perspective it looks like you listed the engine number as 574.xxx and the spec sheet Nev posted lists that number as a 1976 DT400C. So that would be the engine model based on the 574 prefix. Maybe I misunderstand. ?? What's the original question? I've lost sight of it amidst the raucous. :) (she said playfully not meaning offense to anyone)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online