WR450 F

Grouch
This post is 4075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In the next week or two I am going to start making preperations to get my full licence. Initially I was going to buy a 125 2T but realised I would soon get bored of it after a few months. Once I have passed my test I want to get a WR 450. I don't want to get a big bike staright away as I am only used to my 125 4T, which is very slow. Does anyone have WR and are they good bikes, or what other bikes should I consider? I want a trail sort of bike because it will be getting used every day and they are better suited for my commuting needs.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what you like grouch"o, The old DT250MX is good reliable and cheap, you"l be under the 33bhp, as well. Them Wr450"S will be quite a handfull , , any other idea"s folks ,, :eusa_think:

I like them myself too but you'll need to have it restricted as blackhat pointed out, also theres the suzuki DRZ's to consider

I saw a video review of the DRZ on Youtube and it looked really good.

Depends what you like grouch"o, The old DT250MX is good reliable and cheap, you"l be under the 33bhp, as well. Them Wr450"S will be quite a handfull , , any other idea"s folks ,, :eusa_think:

I want at least a 450. I was going to get an XT 660 but thought the jump to 600 from 125 was a bit steep.

I have a WR250R, a great bike. Not sure if the WR450 has lights as standard. I think a XT660 would be a lot easier than the highly tuned WR450 F to handle.

Yes the WR 450 will have lights, the WR is the road version of a YZ. The engines and gear boxes have being modified to be better equipped for road use. WR means wide ratio gearbox. I want a WR even more now that you have said it would be easier to handle an XT 660.

I have a WR250R, a great bike. Not sure if the WR450 has lights as standard. I think a XT660 would be a lot easier than the highly tuned WR450 F to handle.

Yes the WR 450 will have lights, the WR is the road version of a YZ. The engines and gear boxes have being modified to be better equipped for road use. WR means wide ratio gearbox. I want a WR even more now that you have said it would be easier to handle an XT 660.

:eusa_shifty: Errr WHAT?

:eusa_shifty: Errr WHAT?

Sorry, my mistake. I'm getting tired now sat at this PC. What I meant to say is that I want a WR even more now you have said it will be more powerful than an XT 660. :icon_redface1:

I have had a WR426 and take it from experience the bigger WR 's are a handful,and not much fun due to there raw power, the only other bikes that i have that comes near is the YZ 465 and the 490 both of which are too much. Spinning the rear wheel in 2nd is great fun but not on tarmac and not when the rear wheel is trying to follow the road camber.

I have 2 XT600 2TT600 and a XT660R , my own preference is the 2001 TTR600 which has lots of usable bottom end grunt and handles well due to the Ohlins shock, The softer version is the TT600RE which is more ideal for green lanning and commuting. It all depends on what you are going to use the bike for but the TTR250 is a good bike except its power restriction.

Good luck with whatever you get.

TTB

I have had a WR426 and take it from experience the bigger WR 's are a handful,and not much fun due to there raw power, the only other bikes that i have that comes near is the YZ 465 and the 490 both of which are too much. Spinning the rear wheel in 2nd is great fun but not on tarmac and not when the rear wheel is trying to follow the road camber.

I have 2 XT600 2TT600 and a XT660R , my own preference is the 2001 TTR600 which has lots of usable bottom end grunt and handles well due to the Ohlins shock, The softer version is the TT600RE which is more ideal for green lanning and commuting. It all depends on what you are going to use the bike for but the TTR250 is a good bike except its power restriction.

Good luck with whatever you get.

TTB

Thanks, I will be using the bike every day for commuting and probably a bit of off roading at the weekend. I don't want a slow bike. I have to admit I really like the look of the WR's. People seem to be telling me to avoid them. I'm a very sensible 29 year old. I am bored of my 125 and think it's time to move on to a bigger bike. I looked at the WR450's because I didn't want to jump up straight to a 600.

Thanks, I will be using the bike every day for commuting and probably a bit of off roading at the weekend. I don't want a slow bike. I have to admit I really like the look of the WR's. People seem to be telling me to avoid them. I'm a very sensible 29 year old. I am bored of my 125 and think it's time to move on to a bigger bike. I looked at the WR450's because I didn't want to jump up straight to a 600.

But Grouch...people are telling you the jump to the 600's mentioned will be less of a 'jump' than the WR450

I know but I want a WR they are a much sexier machine. My hopes and dreams have been crushed lol. Seriously though the XT 660 looks like a right beast, the WR's look more slimline. The XT's look really big and heavy.

yeah the WR is a proper powerful enduro bike, I cant comment on their rideability but at 29 I'm sure you will be OK, I suppose you feel the WR250 will be to small then?

http://www.yamaha-mo...97/0/video.aspx

No mate a 250 is definitely not big enough. I want a 450 - 600. I don't want a big bike to joyride and be a prick, I'm past that stage of my life. Obviously I will have my fun when the time and place is right, but only then. I have outgrown my faithfull XT 125 and it's time for me to progress onto a bigger machine. It will be used every day as my primary mode of transport. I wanted a 600 supersport but that wouldn't be practical for my needs.

The WR is a far faster bike than the XT660R and the TTR600 and as far as sexy well this does it for me.

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

TTB

There is no denying that is a sexy machine. For some reason I considered the TTR to be the more inferior of trail bikes. It looks nicer than it's XT counterpart.

Grouch, have you ridden a TTR to know its inferior?? Horses for courses, a WR450 is a cracking bike, for a days trail riding on proper trails or a days enduro racing/practice, much like a KTM300exc.

The 450 isnt as lairy as its 426 predecessor, but is still a potent bike(more useable power, better spread). The service intervals and costs on these highly strung 4 stroke race bikes (because that is what they are) is a lot more than your common or garden 125, and more than the TTR or XT.

What do you plan to ride most? Would a supermoto be a better bet?

Dont discount the suzuki DRZ, they are more powerful than a 250, more reliable than a WR450, cheaper to run, and whilst being more novice friendly, I dont think you'll get bored as quick as you think.

Ive have a TTR 250, which is great for a days trail riding, but is uninspiring on the road, my Dad has a DRZ 400, and it is as comfortable on the road as ikt is off, and its amazing the stuff he can do on it. A KTM 300exc would be a good bet if you really want a silly quick, featherlight, chuckable, fun machine. I was fortunate to swap my DT175 for a bit as a mate with the KTM fancied a go on it, like alot of things everyone should try it at least once!

Having said all that, even the WR250 should be given a look, a few I know have started trail riding on them, and experienced riders love them too.

Whatever you buy, if you buy sensibly you will always sell it on for what you paid, or possibly more. Buy something, try it, and sell it if you dont like it.

I would see if anyone you know would let you have a go.

Hi busyeddie, I have never ridden a TTR but from what I have read and heard they are just standard and nothing too special. I'm still undecided as to get another supermoto or buy a trail/enduro. The TTR's & XT's do look like really nice bikes, and they are definitely on my list of options. I read somewhere that WR's are YZ's that have been tuned down to equip them for road use. This does not seem the case though, I have noticed that they don't even have brake lights or indicators so it looks like I have been misinformed.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online