FZ6 with a dead ECU for its third birthday present

dolau
This post is 4200 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Salutary tale for FZ6S2 owners- my bike failed to start on its third birthday while it was in the garage having the radiator fan checked,

The mechanic was attempting to use the engineers codes to get the radaitor fan to run but the bike wouldnt even start let alone let him into the back door.

He unplugged the ECU from the loom and found that at least four of the ECU pins stayed in the loom plug and there was obvious signs of corrosion inside the plug.

Dont know if you are familiar with the ECU position- I wasnt - Under the tank behind the air box but exposed to a hole to the back mudguard area where the top end of the rear suspension unit is- should be fairly protected but obviously not. I have never power washed the bike and have had it from nearly new.

First estimate of cost was £2000 for a new OEM ECU plus a complete lock set and new red key and seriously considered scrapping the bike for parts to make money for a replacement (Honda maybe?)

I asked Yamaha if they could help with the cost as I did not feel that this was reasonable but after nearly a month with very little contact from them they basically told me to go forth :shakeno: ........ Only help they gave me was that an OEM ECU from a Yamaha dealer is 'virgin' and can be coded to the red key that came with your bike.

Contacted my local Yamaha dealer and found that with the VAT it would be £600- better than £2000 but this is a 3 year old bike for heavens sake! Tried Yamaha again to see if they could assist with the cost but no.

£600 is a lot to find plus the labour on diagnosis etc so I looked for other alternatives.

On Ebay I found a company called Motomatrix.co.uk who can chip second hand ECU's off scrap bikes presumably and make them 'virgin' for £170

I have ordered one and it should be with my mechanic next week but it is guaranteed to work and just plug in and start the bike with a full battery with your red key and it will code itself to your red key- at least that is the theory- what have I got to lose?

So- moral of the story- I guess the Yamaha loom plugs need to be cleaned and protected from corrosion even though it doesnt say that in the owners manual and must include plugs and electrical equipment hidden away in places I had never hoped to see on my bike

Really pissed off with Yamaha's attitude to customer service :madflame: , lack of response to emails and lack of compassion when this appears to be a design fault not a users error or lack of scheduled maintenance.... what do you think? :shakeno:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nice thought Airhead but I hink not- this is sealed giblets with pins on the end... or not any more as the case may be- I am assuming that there is nothing can be done without dismantling with a hammer.... Come to think of it - I might try that when I get it home- it might make me feel better

Sorry for the poor picture but you get the idea.... green stuff in the plug which I thought should be waterproof as it is such an essential piece of the bike and is situated under the tank and behind the air box

Gutted for you, I was actually in Motonatrix's shop the other week because I bought a speedo from them, when I noticed they were in the same city I just went to their shop and saved my self £4 postage. The guy in there seemed ok, hopefully your new ECU will work. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Been on holiday and found the ECU on MY floor instead of them delivering direct to the bike shop as I asked.

Took it in this afternoon and he will try it later today or tomorrow and see if it works.

I am hopeful that this will be a £170 (plus labour) fix rather than a £600 fix :madflame:

Probably riding my sons Blackbird or CB1300 on Friday unless mine is back together by then

Yep- the motomatrix.co.uk virgin second hand virgin ECU worked a treat and the bike is running again.... but the roiginal reason I took it in the shop- the radiator fan is buggered as I thought- still shouldnt need it this side of next spring!

Yep- the motomatrix.co.uk virgin second hand virgin ECU worked a treat and the bike is running again.... but the roiginal reason I took it in the shop- the radiator fan is buggered as I thought- still shouldnt need it this side of next spring!

Great news dolau, now wrap up that cable connector well, have you considered that yucky but extremely effevtive greasy tape stuff

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cromwell.co.uk/images/product/AVN/981/AVN9817100K_0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cromwell.co.uk/index.php%3Fq%3D0%26p%3Dbrowse%26c%3D040110&usg=__bdBXZH_AkVa_zHlwWOJ6tgDXWP8=&h=500&w=484&sz=55&hl=en&start=2&zoom=1&tbnid=7v3-xC7JqtGVIM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=126&ei=hPBiUMfQJqmg2AX36IDQAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwaterproof%2Bgrease*%2Btape%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

Happy for you, nothing worse than a bike in a state of disrepair.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online