XJ600 Diversion as 1st big bike?

Twisted2004
This post is 6620 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I PASSED!!

Havent got a long enough, straight (safe'ish) road to test any sort of speed, and to be honest don't really want to at this stage! 85-90 good enough for me!

Congrats Twisted! B)

With more experience, the speed thing will come around......85-90mph is plenty right now ;)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I PASSED!! Took my test for my full licence on Wednesday and passed with two minors!

Been riding around on the divvy and LOVING IT!!

The new braided line is on its way should be with me next week sometime hopefully!

Should sort out the spongy brake!

Know what u mean about the vibrations, but compared to the DT125 the vibrations are barely noticable!

I suppose its the advantage of going from an old two stroke to a modern'ish bike!

I've gotten up to 100 is a small blast, but generally i've been riding around like a grandad in 6th gear constantly, its fanstatic soo much torque! Pull at 25mph in 6th gear i was amazed!

Havent got a long enough, straight (safe'ish) road to test any sort of speed, and to be honest don't really want to at this stage! 85-90 good enough for me!

Congrats Mate nice one.

Take care on them roads, I agree theres no need to be trying to get top speed, just take it easy and have fun ( beating "Gary Boyz"-"Boy Racers" off the lights ) you gotta love it! :)

Its a crazy powertrip knowing that your the quickest thing off the lights! (...other than other bike ofcourse)

I feel i can pull up to anything now and have no worries!

It brillient i love it! only been riding it less than a week and i'm starting to think....

.."u know what, i'm faster than u, but i don't even need to prove it HA!"

Gonna do a little tour of the south coast in late august, should be interesting, really looking forward to it.

Hi Twisted,

big congratulations on passing :D I bet it still feels as good now as it did when I passed (too long ago so don't ask :) ).

Just go steady out there, there are more idiots than sensible road users to be found and you don't want to find the wrong ones at all!

85-90 is a nice speed to get the feel of your bike, and you still have a chance of seeing the scenery too.

Have fun.

Andy

Good to see ya around Andy! ;)

& What more fitting a subject to post on than a Divvy thread B)

How's your's holding up BTW? :)

Hi Scott, Twisted & all,

to be truthful I can't get out on it enough, it's a great bike :D I must admit that I am adjusting to the forks but I would still like to have a bit less "softness" about the front brake. However I can't complain as the other night I went off for a ride and hadn't gone a mile when it's round a right hand corner and the road was blocked by a tractor and trailer pulling out of a field. On cold tyres and cranked over I thought I had two choices, hit the trailer or go in the ditch because there was no way round, and I swear if I had been on the RD it would have been one or the other. Not the Divvy though, the beast really looked after me and though it was tight we pulled up still on the black stuff and with a couple of feet to spare. Phew!

So I reckon you can say that I am really chuffed with it. It does everything pretty well, and what an engine, as Twisted says it just pulls from nothing in top gear which is a hell of a shock after the RD. I collected William (9 years old) from school the other day and he seemed to think the pillion was much more comfortable too, although he seemed to find having a top box a big plus factor :D I had to keep telling him that it's NOT a backrest lol.

So a big thumbs up from me for the Divvy :D:D

Andy

Andy,

What sort of top box have u got? and how did u pay for it?

I need to get one! Can't be bothered to carry my chain round me like a rack sack!

Hi Twisted,

When I got my Divvy it had a Givi rack fitted, so naturally I had a look at Givi boxes. Our local 'agent' didn't have any in stock but had a virtually new one with a duff lock which was supposed to have gone back having been replaced. He had the new lock ready to fit so we did a deal and I got it for half price :D so out came the plastic and it was mine.

I have to say that it is a brilliant piece of kit with the 'Monolock system' on it where with one key you lock it onto the rack or remove it and carry it around like a suitcase on it's handle. It will hold two full face helmets so that makes life a lot easier when you park up and gives a wonderful reason to use the bike to nip down the shop to buy the milk etc.

As with the Divvy (see above) I am very impressed and would reccomend.

Andy

Well I am new to this place but as a recent Yamaha owner thought I should join!

I passed my DAS 2 weeks ago and went on the hunt for the right mid-range bike to get my going.

Soon stumbled across a lovely Divvy 600 and as soon as I test rode it knew it was the one :)

A new chain and sprocket set later and we are good to go!

(Well, except that the dashboard lights have gone. I have purchased the replacement bulbs but the guy in the shop said they are a pig to change, is this true?)

Have been riding it a week now and it has been brilliant.

I am glad someone has mentioned about the vibrations at 4k, I was worried that it was just mine and that there was a serious problem with it!

One new divvy owner very happy here!

• 1 month later...

The thing to remember about the Divvy is that "it is what it is".

So you can throw some money at one area, but the result is that will then highlight deficiencies in other areas.

You could in theory spend a small fortune....but at the end of the day it's still a 60bhp old tech bike. And you'll never recoup those costs.

My advice? Ride it, get experience, build up NCB, and then move on to a Fazer!  B)

Hi everyone, just stumbled across this forum and thought I would sign up.

It seems i've been living the same life as Twisted and Sloces. Been riding a CG 125 on an 'L' plate for the past year as a cheap commuter to work - racked up 7,000 miles in 12-months. Got the opportunity to buy a nice Divi off of my bro'-in-laws best mate so had to snap it up. A 96' model on an 'N' plate with 18,800 miles on the clock - came with a full set of Givi too and he let me have it for £800.

divi2bs.jpg

The route to my DAS turned out to be a whirlwind trip. I booked it all on line as soon as my bro'-in-law dropped the bike off at my house - that was on the Tuesday. On the Thursday I did my theory and then the following Monday evening I did the conversion from 125 - 600. Tuesday was spent practicing for the test which i took and passed on Wednesday afternoon.

That was on 3rd August and since then i've racked up 2000 miles on the Divi - what's the point of having a bike if you don't use it..lol. Anyway, temptation got the better of me last week when I was wandering round George White's and needless to say I didn't leave the shop empty handed. I collect my brand new FZ6 Fazer on 1st September :D . It was a deal that I couldn't refuse - they let the Fazer go for £4500 and gave me £1000 for the Divi. I also managed to get in on Yamaha's cheap finance deal before it runs out - 1.99% over 4-years.

05mcyfz6blu447591vn.jpg

So there you have it, my time with the Divi was brief but rewarding - a bit like my route to a full licence. I hope the Fazer turns out to be as much fun.

Cheers all, nice to meet you

Joe

• 1 month later...

I passed my bike test about 10 years ago and had a gt185 (nail) and after about 18 months went back to four wheels and spent the next 8 years driving to and from work in a car, and hated it. So about 4 months ago i decided it was time to go back to a bike but realised i needed a big bike so after doing some research and asking a few freinds i decided on a xj600. And i am really pleased i did. It was a bit scary at first but once i got used to the weight and power, but now i am really enjoying it. Its no rocket but it is giving me much needed experiance for when i get an even bigger bike.

Congrats at passing your test!!!!!!!

There`s no stopping you now. It seems.

I passed my test back in June and just couldn`t wait to get a bigger bike. It took me a while to decide what to get but I ended up with a R46. Loving every minute.

Sorry to post late but was scanning this morning while I have more time than usual. Didn`t notice til after I posted then read further on how long ago you paseed your test. Will teach me a lesson to read the whole topic before posting.

It seems like ages ago that i passed! (well it was i suppose!)

I actually getting a bit bored of the diversion and i'm getting a little hungry for.....MORE!!

Thinkin about Thundercats now- just need to get all the money together! :(:(

• 4 months later...

The divvy is an all right bike passed my das on one.

but after much research bought a fazer 600 to use for comuting now that was a brilliant bike

and after 14 months the allure of the 1000 finally got me and i picked up new one on the first of march

now that is a cool bike fast stable and good looking see my web site at

www.fazer1000.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online