Cooling fan motor/switch?

yamahajrb
This post is 4228 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, can someone tell me if the ignition needs to be ON for the fan to kick in or should it still kick in when the ignition is in the OFF position, ie: should the fan continue to cool the bike even when you've taken the key out until normal temp is reached, thanks, john

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes I think you're both right, I suspect both fan switch & temperature switchs are faulty (not switching in boiling water), fan only works with ignition on so I'm going to isolate ignition live to the fan switch & connect a permanant fused live to the switch instead & replace both switchs of course, please let me know what you think of the above, (they should operate in boiling water should'nt they?), thanks, John

I think I'd better give you the whole story, after a ride out yesterday I found a lot of dirty white stuff around each of the exhaust outlets where the downpipes fit, I can only think its either gasket or more likely gasket seal as I believe the gaskets are copper but not sure, I could only think that the bike must have overheated to cause this, I left the bike running in the garage for nearly an hour this morning & neither the fan or the temp warning light came on so I assume both switches are faulty, I've since found out that the temperature that both switches operate is 102c-108c so boiling water would not have operated them anyway, apparently because the cooling system is pressurised that raises the boiling point of coolant, the white stuff is like chalky & has formed a ring around the exhaust outlets, I can break it off in chunks, the bike starts & runs ok, any ideas guys, thanks John

Are you losing any water from the system?

If you look at the oil, is there a white "mayo" type of slime floating on it?

Not nessarly ..water boils at 130f and the cooling system operates at `180f the switch probably wont close untill 185f or higher to turn the fan on some dont come on untill 210.

A hour is more than long enought to trip the fan on ..probably what is happening is air is traped arund the switches not alowing them to be heated by coolant.

is the thermostat opening?

If the white chunky stuff is coolant you have to be loosing coolant from the system.

You can put some head gasket in a bottle to temporaly fix it.

If it leasking out there won't be coolant in the oil most likely

Thanks for replys, no loss of coolant at all, no boiling over, no water or steam from exhaust, the Haynes manual says that both switches operate at between 102C & 108C, not sure if the thermastat is opening or not, not tested yet, cheers, John

A hour is more than long enought to trip the fan on ..probably what is happening is air is traped arund the switches not alowing them to be heated by coolant.

is the thermostat opening?

If the white chunky stuff is coolant you have to be loosing coolant from the system.

You can put some head gasket in a bottle to temporaly fix it.

K seal form Solv-tec works very well www.solv-tec.com don't bother if the coolant is mixed in the oil but if its only blowing out it will seal it in about 20min run time

Thanks for replys, no loss of coolant at all, no boiling over, no water or steam from exhaust, the Haynes manual says that both switches operate at between 102C & 108C, not sure if the thermastat is opening or not, not tested yet, cheers, John

The thermostat must be opening if not then it would boil over or run cold if stuck open and the fan wouldn't need to come on check the eng temp with a temp gun.

The white chunky stuff does it keep comming back? or did you just ride through some stuff on the road

The white stuff has not reappeared while I ran it in the garage this morning, do you think checking the thermostat is a good idea, also immediatly before this ride out I changed the coolant 50/50 mix, I should add I have never heard the fan run in the 9 months I've had the bike, I've bypassed both switches & both the fan & the warning light are working ok, cheers John

I've just tested the thermostat, book says: opens @ 80.5c - 83.5c, 8mm min @ 95c, just short of boiling it only opens 1mm-2mm, boiling water & it opens 8mm-10mm, cheers, John

I've just dropped the oil & theres no sign of water in the oil, no sign of oil in the coolant either so I hope the head gasket is ok (everything crossed), will fit new switches & new thermostat & hope that cures it, I'll let you guys know what happens & thanks to you all for your help, cheers, John

New never hurts but might not be nessary.

Spend a fewbucks on a none contact temp gun and check the temps all is prob ok and your woring about nothing

John you may never hear the fan run in the climate you live in ..it`s more of a back up for high temps that you guys realy never see.

here it`s been 30 c for weeks not a barely drop of rain for a month nights 25c we need fans just to keep the bike from over heating in traffic but they go off soon after you get roling.

anyway let everyone know how you make out

:beerchug: UPDATE: Right, fitted new fan sensor switch, fitted new temperature warning light sensor switch & for good measure, fitted new thermastat, everything is now working as it should :hyper: , changed oil & filter while I was in the mood to spend money, talking of money, these bike manufacturers should be bloody ashamed of themselves, the way they are ripping their customers off, get this lot: fan switch £45.00, warning light switch £65.00, thermastat £33.00, then oil & filter on top, another £35.00, makes me really f--king angry :madflame: ,

but what can we do, they've got us by the buster browns aint they :madflame: , thanks for all your help & advise & ride safe guys :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online