Your First Bike Adventures...

bippo
This post is 4169 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys, so I'm counting down the days until I get to collect my YBR125 at the end of this week! It's been such a long passion of mine to ride motorbikes, but before I knew it work, cars and a house got in the way.... Anyway, here I am at 27, getting my first bike! I can't wait to get out and practice so I can work towards my full licence next year. :)

So, help inspire me to get the most out of my (speed devil) 125, and share some cool stories about your first bikes - what was your first bike? Did you go on any mammoth trips? Find yourself riding in crazy weather for the first time? Etc...

I'm hoping I'll be able to share my own stories in the not too distant future... :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a spotty teenager. Brought a TS90 secondhand from John's of Romford. Never ridden a bike before and had a full car license. No one in my family rode bikes (still don't). I rode it all night and have never looked back. Once it's in your blood, resistance is futile. That was 36 years ago BTW (I know - I am an old barsteward).

Since then been all over Europe and North Africa touring. Le Mans and Bol dor circuits.

Too many bikes to list, too many bikes to count to be honest.

I grew up with bikes (Dad had Norton's and BSA's), and my mum was a 'biker chick' in her hay day. Subsequently, I wasn't allowed to have one when I was younger :shakeno: I've only been riding for two years, not really been far as yet, but I did do a charity bike ride out to the coast and back shortly after getting her. I think that was the furthest I've been in a day so far.

I'm currently looking at sports tourers. I've been out to look at a few already and have settled (at the moment), on a Suzuki GSX 750 F. I should be getting her shortly, before Xmas anyway.

We are planning to go around the Highlands next year and then across to Norway and Sweden.

Our 'bike adventures' are only just beginning. Can't wait :hyper:

Wasn't my first or last but most memorable....Went out for a day trip ran into a buddy who was going to Laguna seca for the GP in 1993 Long story short 6000 miles and 13 days later made it home. Got fired from my job but it was worth it. To see the 500 2 stroke's scream music to my ears. And the grand canyon is bigger in person... arizona is dry,,, the salt flats roads are no speed limit during the day and boring as straight as a arrow but 3 hrs at 125 mph + you can make time Chicago is named the windy city for a good reason riding on a 30degree angle for hours to keep the bike in a straight line not fun .

Would I do it again YES!!!!!

Turns out laguna seca is not in laguna beach it's in montrey 400 miles north wish we has GPS then.

My first bike was a Yamaha FS1E 50cc when I was sixteen, there were a group of around 5-6 of us that had mopeds and we spent most evenings just riding around town, surprising how many miles you knock up doing that, my first job was 15 miles away in Northampton and the journey took a while as even though my ped was un-restricted its top speed on the flat was still only around 45mph. 34 years on still into bikes.

Well its not my first adventure but I will just give you a story of how great motorbiking really is.

Rode to work this morning loverly sunny warm weather, at work for 10 hours.......still gorgeous weather, clocked out ready for the mad dash through the gates and then dun dun duuuuun!!!! Fucking tsunami.

Riding home in the worst rain possible, 9 or so miles on duel carrage way at a steady 70 (open face skid lid and the rain soon feels like nails being thrown in my gullet. Cock soon buggered off up with my lungs for some warmth and then you have the Mr fuck nobber in his nice warm cage cutting you up with no indicator as he cant figure out what the little stalk is on the steering wheel but I digress.

Finally got home to a warm towel and fresh clothes and talc powder for my feet (joys of a wife) but I had to make my own cuppa tea.

In summary, riding bikes is as fun as you make it, man up and remember.............skin is water proof.

Yeah I am a total newbie and my first ever best adventure was an experience to remeber !

it actually was a decent dry sunny day (not warm though) and i decided am going to take a trip

to tesco !

was the best trip ever !

went to the check out with 2 dvds, packet of dorritos, sweets , juice all the usal things and then realised i had nowhere to put all this junk !

had to phone my mate to meet me at tesco and take my junk home for me :|

:D thats how I roll :D

went to the check out with 2 dvds, packet of dorritos, sweets , juice all the usal things and then realised i had nowhere to put all this junk !

had to phone my mate to meet me at tesco and take my junk home for me :|

Lesson to be learned there, allways carry a rucksack.

Lesson to be learned there, allways carry a rucksack.

you arent kidden !

XVS125 - Cornwall and back, London every Friday and everywhere I could.

Some great stories from you all, thanks! Thinking about it, I do have one story to share from a while back - purely from a pillion perspective mind...

My ex had a TW125 (one one with the HUGE back wheel!) He had gained his full license, so that bike carted us everywhere for a while. Anyway, it was a really nice day so we decided to go and have a BBQ. The bike consisted of:

• Biker and pillion
  • Backpack on rider (and in my face), filled with burgers and salad
  • Top box filled with disposable BBQ, drink and blanket
  • Portable speakers and CD player, mounted onto the handlebars

Idiotic teenagers... :shakeno: The handlebar mounted music was pointless as neither of us could hear it about 20mph. Still, we made it to our destination - and the trip home was far easier!!

Needless to say, that bike was soon traded in for something bigger!

First for me was in 74 when our techy teacher wheeled in a box and presented the class with our project for the year -a totally stripped Lambretta we built it in three months and then got riding lessons from the bold teach around a field at the back of school for the rest of the year "feckin ace" after that i got my little suzi 90 trailie great times and good memories

mo

....................after that i got my little suzi 90 trailie great times and good memories

mo

If it was a TS90, that was the same as my first bike.

When i had my DT i rode to Exmoor with some friends for a long weekend and covered around 1000 miles in total, we also travelled to Wales for another weekend again covering a good 1000 miles on and off road. It did seize on the way home from Wales though :icon_sad:

Its the only bike i actually miss so far.

I certainly don't have some of the adventure stories some of you have. My dad is about as adventurous as a can of spam. My mom, however, had a pair of Tomos mopeds that we rode around when I was a teen. In fact I rode one during my senior year of high school as my primary means of transportation. Mom didn't like me taking it on the streets, so I took it on the dirt and back roads of the town. Poor moped ended up being used like a motocros bike. Now I have my first big boy bike. I'm still working on it be now that I have my endorsement I'm starting to use it regularly.

So, I've stumbled across an adventure and a half on t'internet tonight:

Around the world, solo, on a YBR125, ha ha!

I'd bet get a wiggle on....

• 2 weeks later...

When my brother teach me how to drive he said: "If you'll be hurt driving this motorbike, our mother will kill me" :smash: instead of "Be careful, take it easy!

First for me was in 74 when our techy teacher wheeled in a box and presented the class with our project for the year -a totally stripped Lambretta we built it in three months and then got riding lessons from the bold teach around a field at the back of school for the rest of the year "feckin ace" after that i got my little suzi 90 trailie great times and good memories

mo

Sadly, that just wouldn't happen today, elf & safety/risk assesment/out of school hours/written permission/insurance etc etc etc

How sad

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having my first bike adventure I have a 2007 ybr and I must say its it works out cheeper for me than running a car or getting the bus so its a big bonus I only passed my cbt a month or so ago and all is well so far my only problem with being a noob to motorbikes is riding in the harsh weather it was all fine in the dry then all of a sudden I'm driving in gail force winds and freezing conditions but my only problem is with not being a car driver is I get lost alot lol