What now, next steps? Advice Please.

Grouch
This post is 4262 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

Haven't been on here for a while because I've been busy at work. Right here's the dilemma.....................

I bought my 125 in March and now am seriously bored of it. I have an XT 125 X four stroke which is an excellent beginner's bike but slow as.....

My plan over the last few months was to get a 125 2T sports, Aprilia RS or equivilent which I would keep as weekend bike to satisfy my need for speed and to get my kicks. But, now I am thinking shall I just do my test?

I don't know whether to get a 125 sports or just do my test.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

...................... Aprilia RS or equivilent .............................

Fantastic but very temperamental. Get a weekly bus pass as well because chances are you will need it.

I don't know whether to get a 125 sports or just do my test.

Test will nearly always get harder and more expensive so bite the bullet now and it opens the door to a lot more choice.

I have to admit I have my heart set on a 2T but then again while I have the spare cash it would be more sensible to get my test out of the way. Obviously it differs on the individual but how much total (approximate) will it cost for a full licence? Also I can't myself going and getting a 1000 when a 600 will have plenty of quality and capability. MCN did a good article the other week about 400's which got me thinking.

Can't help with the cost. Use your favorite search engine. I can't remember what my test cost but I just rode around the block a few times.

Focus on the test then look around.

If you think you'll pass, do the test.

New rules being applied all the time.

Soon, you'll need to be 24 years old or, have experience on big bikes to be able to get one.

About; £30 for theory and hazard awareness, ???? £s for lessons, £80 for module 1 + 2 and a few quid to upgrade license form

provisional to full.

Well worth it, what a blast riding a bigger machine!

I also think,,,, do your test

Then you can have a big cc bike and go as fast as ya want,,,,,,,, after a while you will realise that going fast all the time is no fun either,,,,,,, there are many ways to enjoy biking,,,,,, going fast is one of them but it comes with a hefty price tag (life or death)

125cc is a it slow specially if ya want to do distance traveling,,,, so do the test, get bigger bike, but dont get yourself dead.

I don't want to give off the wrong impression about my intentions. I do want a faster bike although not for the sole purpose of joyriding and acting like an irresponsible idiot. Granted from time to time I might get a bit carried away but only when it is completely safe and the time and location is right.

I think I'm going to phone the guy who conducted my CBT on Monday and take it from there. Hopefully I can get it done and dusted before the winter kicks in.

Take the test now, you will not regret it. 400 is a nice size for a step up and will go fast enouigh to be fun but not so fast as to rip your head off, buy an old one as a beginner bike that way if you do drop it it's not such a drama. good luck. :jossun:

Do the test, youll get bored of a 125 2t quickly as well. Most people will always want more, agreed though a 600 sports bike is more than enough for the road!

A 600 will definitely suffice. I have been reading in MCN that when they race the 600's against the 1000's on the track, theres virtually no difference in lap times. The insurance on my Xt is fully paid up until March so there's no point wasting it.

Another vote for do your test.You don't have to ride at stupid speeds to be quick, I can do the ride into work on my 650 Draggy ten minutes quicker than in my tin box, not because I am speeding but because the traffic has less effect on me.

I agree with campaman, you dont have to go quick to be fast.

Iv found for my old commute through busy towns my old ccm 644 supermoto was perfect, was more than enough. Being higher up was an advantage as youd know from having the XT, also being a narrow bike was good for town riding. But it depends what you need it for, i personally think my r6 is a bit overkill, good fun on bigger open roads but a bit pointless and a bit firm.

Yes the old Supermoto is comfortartable and very practical to ride about the city. I may even get another supermoto style bike, just a bigger engine. I was looking at a few Triumph explorer's today up at Squire's, very nice bikes.

Test - Simples. It's an investment in your future.

I have been reading in MCN

That will soon pass....... You'll get better, honest

Yes the old Supermoto is comfortartable and very practical to ride about the city. I may even get another supermoto style bike, just a bigger engine. I was looking at a few Triumph explorer's today up at Squire's, very nice bikes.

There are a good few SuperMotards about now, and with a restricted licence the 600 range is excellent as you don't loose too much of the power.

My favourite SM is Dorsoduro..

P8120148.JPG

But it's a bit of an animal and like other Italian bikes can be a little, erm,,, interesting!

The XT660X would be a good move for you too, rides like the 125 but with more smiles-per-mile than the others. Of course there is the Austrian stuff, but I won't mention anything Orange here...

The Dora (Triumph Explorer) would be a bike to stay clear of for a few years. They are a big lump to haul around and a different riding attitude, the 800 Tiger's are much more flexible (ahem!), like this one:

T-Tiger0006.jpg

or, you might consider something that rides great on the twisty roads, is a good commuter, has a massive tank range, can tour or take on the rough roads =>

Port021.JPG

Once you pass your test,, the world is there for the taking, You choice of bike becomes less important as to what you want to do with it, choose a bike that does everything you want and you'll get more out of biking (a bike just becomes a tool to see the world).

I hope this has been of some help to you, if not, no worries, even bad advice is still useful.

Good advice from gas up. It also depends on your budget as well, the bikes listed above are (to me) quite expensive and insurance is another factor to consider as well.

Dare i say it, a drz? Could be a good move from a 125, iv not tried one myself though and have heard they are a bit lardy for a 400, maybe a ccm 404 would be a better option?