ferry to holland

nev-spark
This post is 4189 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi you, Im going to Holland from Hull, (P&O ferry) any info on bike tie-down on board, do I need my own ratchet straps ? ease of boarding ? any info Id be grateful, thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi you, Im going to Holland from Hull, (P&O ferry) any info on bike tie-down on board, do I need my own ratchet straps ? ease of boarding ? any info Id be grateful, thanks

Well I haven't done that route - but have used ferries a lot. They usually keep rachet straps in a box/bin near the bike parking places. Some will lash the bike down for you, some will leave you too it. Some have cushions to protect the seat - i'd take an old towel just in case.

I've used P&O Dover-Calais and I think they leave you to sort it yourself. If you have sidestand and centrestand, as improbable as it sounds, it is better (in my exp) on the sidestand, as the tension compresses the suspension.

Where are you going?

thanks for the tip, will take towel n ratchets just encase! going down to Herentals in Belgium for wedding then back up to Uden, relatives war grave, and calling in Den Bosh on way home, in all about a week

When I went France to Calais the other year it was side stand & 1st gear. The guys tied the bike down on handlbars and rear crash guards (cruiser). Fortunately the sea was calm as I reckon the rear crash guards would have snapped in rough sea as they bent on tie down. Also take care on boarding as the deck will be slippery & you might have to u-turn...

Enjoy your trip

I used a small piece of carpet on the seat as the irish ferries use a rope and not a ratchet.

luckily I'm a scout and know my knots :)

As the lads have just said.

sidestand

1st gear

full stering lock to the left

Bring a bit of carpet

ya wont need rachet straps with ya

If they tie your bike down,,, i wait till they go then i undo there work and do it my way so am happy with it.

Have a good trip !

great replies thanks to all of you, Im a bit nervous 1st time bike on ferry so all info gives me more confidence " even for a 64year old" it all helps

luckily I'm a scout and know my knots :)

Who's a knotty boy, then?

I dunno what it's called, but that slidey one that you use to keep tent lines taught - Round turn and 2 half hitches, is it?

Thread through tie-down ring, bring it back, loop it round and through the first line, but then pass it through a 2nd time behind the first pass, then loop it over and past this, to another loop and pass-through. Pull taught and you have a knot that looks a bit like a 3-turn noose and will just slide tight, but hold in place nicely.

Watch out for them there Dutch folk, mate - They're nuts!! :D

If they tie your bike down,,, i wait till they go then i undo there work and do it my way so am happy with it.

Brilliant idea Pat, that's exactly what I would have done.

I forgot to mention !!!!

On some ferry's bikes are tied down using round lugs that pop outa the deck. They ratchet the bikes down to these.

Now a lot of the time these lugs are rusted and dont fall down flat with the deck (floor) when the ratchets are loosened and taken out of them.

These things are seriously dangerous,,,,, some are up and some are down,,,,,,they are like a mine field.

SO WATCH WHERE YOUR GOING WHEN LEAVING THE BOAT.

Once there was a lad in front of me,, he was kinda rushing arround his bike getting himself organised,,,,,, then he tripped on one of these bloody

things and wacked his head on the car window that was behind him.

Anyway dont be worrying about the ferry,,,,,,they are grand,,,,,, unless they sink that is !!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, the towel is a great idea and I've always found that even a thick face flannel does the job. I fold it into a third to make it thick enough to raise the strap or rope high enough off the seat so it doesn't touch the sides and mark them. Depends how wide your seat is tho!

When embarking and disembarking, take your time and don't let anyone rush you, especially as you'll want to go VERY easy on the brakes regardless of whether the car deck is dry or wet.

As mentioned, don't worry you'll really enjoy it and there's always other bikers to chat to on ferries. Have met all sorts of wierd (in the nicest possible way) and wonderful bikers on ferries over the years.

Also highly recommended for long distance trips and an absolute godsend for my FZ1 which has a particularly heavy thrrottle http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/503589/Bars-And-Footrests/Bars-and-Foot-Rests-Other/On-Two-Wheels

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...

Hi all, been to Holland done the ferry thing, they got new regs now you have to strap your own bike down, they have thin webbing straps not proper ratchet type, that are pointed out by the side of the bike bays for your use also short lengths of that blue rope, easy to use,and the ship, entertainment, bars all great, we had a wonderful time glad we give it a go thanks to all for your comments and help. :jossun:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online