DT 125R rebuild...

NathanH
This post is 4212 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Ive not had my DT long and have only done about 1000 miles on it when it decided to go pop. During a spirited ride the big end decided to give up the ghost. Not one to do things by halfs I decided to completely rebuild the bike as it has a few bodges I wasnt happy with. enjoy.

Day 1

PICT0720.jpg

On inspection it looks like the nut wasnt torqued up properly, its ended up coming off and chewing off the threads, the woodruff key as moved forward disengaging the balancing shaft drive and its gone down hill from there...

PICT0759.jpg

Stripping

PICT0845.jpg

One of many bodges

PICT0847.jpg

PICT0861.jpg

17" rim to be laced to the TDR hub

PICT0860.jpg

Ready for shot blasting

PICT0863.jpg

Custom chain roller

PICT0874.jpg

PICT0875.jpg

Blasted and etched

PICT0985.jpg

New plastics, SM front guard and HP rear fender

PICT0984.jpg

New tyres and seat cover and a quick mock up. 160/60 and 120/60

PICT1084.jpg

Refurbished fork parts with new seals etc

PICT1089.jpg

New suspension linkage bearings and swing arm bearings... every bearing is new

PICT1091.jpg

Custom crash bobbins and modified front spindle. Im still to modify the rear spindle for the crash bobbins to fit

PICT1093.jpg

More to follow when I get time :)

Nathan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks top notch. :thumb:

Nice one Nathan.

Lookin' forward to seeing how the fine job progresses!

Keep us posted!

V.

Going to be painting the frame and other parts next weekend but I cant decided on satin black or gloss black. Definitely going to be spraying the yokes, swing arm and forks metalic silver. Wheels will be stripped down later in the week to paint the rims gloss black and the hubs metallic gold.

I would go with the gloss for the frame,,,,, i thing it is more resistant and hardier than the satin.

• 1 month later...

Tiny update.

New front end mocked up. I plan on using the bike in the summer months, hence the sticky tyres but If I want to use it all year round Ive got an aftermarket headlight off ebay just incase.

PICT1178.jpg

Nice job so far it's going to look alot newer with the later model fenders and all fresh painted .

As your doing the motor top to bottom any plans for a porting job?

Yeah, cant beat new plastics and paint!

No, it was already running a 32mm flat side, some carbon reeds and a DEP exp and big one silencer but I havnt got any plans to tune it. Im not fussed about speed to be honest. I'll just get a bigger bike if I get bored :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online