Paranoia or catastrophe?

FlyZanzibar
This post is 4264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

So I've been trying to answer posts on this forum and not just run here for help, but it would seem that I lack the knowledge required to post, or indeed fix. Apologies...

Anyway. I changed my rear sprocket and chain today on my TTR, which was too much of a job in itself. After finishing off, putting everything back together, and feeling far too worn out than I should've been, I went for the customary test run.

And I noticed this whine. I don't mean a small one, like you'd get from a fuel pump, I mean quite a considerable note, resonating quite nicely at about 50mph. I think it was roughly A#, although it might have been a B.

I've googled the problem, and many people seem to say that the problem is:

My chain is too tight (it isn't)

My wheel is misaligned (it isn't)

There's no rubber on the new sprocket (there was none on the old one)

OR

Some chains just do that.

Do any of you fine fellows know any other reason why I could be getting this noise? I would love for you to tell me that it's nothing, but I suppose honesty is best.

I'm riding round Europe for a week soon, so I'll post a nice little story in return for your help. It might even have pictures :)

Thanks very much!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Fly - tricky to get the chain tension right on bikes with lots of suspension travel - I guess you've tried slakening the tension a bit to see if the noise goes away?

Jim.

Yeah, I've tried changing the tension. It was actually too loose when I first tried it. I'm about to go out for a bit now, see if I can't run it in a bit, maybe that'll help.

Oh and I should also mention, since I forgot, that I've dropped 2 teeth from the rear sprocket. I doubted that could be the cause, but anything's possible... (unfortunately)

Thanks for the help so far

And of course that sprocket is the right width and pitch for the chain?

Yeah, it is. I checked it with calipers and suchlike :)

I've just been out, and I think it is just noisy. The noise, I have now realised, is exactly the same as the noise you get from a go-kart (I work at a kart centre), and we've already proven that's just chain noise. It's also a little quieter now, but maybe that's just me getting used to it.

The noise is also definitely coming from the front sprocket/transmission area, not the rear. You can still hear it with the clutch in and/or the engine off, and it is not gear-dependant (it rises with speed, not revs). Load makes a difference, which is also in line with the kart comparison.

It might well be that, where the front sprocket is not new (about 1-2 months old), it's worn to the old, stretched chain, so the teeth are striking or catching the links a little harder than they should. Sounds like a good way to wreck a chain, but it should wear in soon.

Unless anyone has any other brainwaves, I think we've solved the mystery - thank you all, your help is very much appreciated. I owe you all a beer, if we ever meet!

Do you reckon I need to? I'm reluctant to spend mmuch money right now, and I've heard from someone that it should 'wear in', as it were (this would be my reaction as well).

Is this not the case?

Damn virgin internet - the whole cable service has been out for days...

Ok, cheers. I'll try that, although I should still ask if you think a front sprocket that's only a couple of months old would still be a problem.

Thanks a lot everyone :)

A sproket run on a fooked chain can be just as fooked in a couple of hundred miles, less on a chain killer like your TT.

So I've been trying to answer posts on this forum and not just run here for help, but it would seem that I lack the knowledge required to post, or indeed fix. Apologies...

You don't even have to be able to help - Just contribute to the community and general chit-chat. That's really all it takes to be a useful member of the forum, yet some people have difficulty with even that!

Fair enough, I'll crack out the bad joke book :)

Also please excuse my sporadic posting, I've figured out that the electrical rennovation in my village is playing havoc with everything... Had to use a camping stove last night when the power went!

I've replaced the sprocket Cynic, although the noise is still there a little. It got quieter before I changed it, and was roughly the same volume after. I'm pretty sure it's just chain noise now though, because I went through and eliminated the other possible causes. Cheers for the advice!

Fair enough, I'll crack out the bad joke book :)

Also please excuse my sporadic posting, I've figured out that the electrical rennovation in my village is playing havoc with everything... Had to use a camping stove last night when the power went!

I've replaced the sprocket Cynic, although the noise is still there a little. It got quieter before I changed it, and was roughly the same volume after. I'm pretty sure it's just chain noise now though, because I went through and eliminated the other possible causes. Cheers for the advice!

Are you sure it is not the chain having a greater contact patch with the chain-guide at the front of the swing-arm? On the XJ6 it makes quite a pronounced noise rubbing on the chain-guide rubber, more so if you run smaller sprockets. Never appeared to be a problem though.

If you change your chain you should change your sprockets at the same time otherwise the chain wont last 5 minutes. That may sort the noise? Is the chain lubed up properly?

You say a couple months old on the sprocket, how many miles is that?

The sprocket is now new, and yes it's lubed. That didn't solve the problem though. Took a stethoscope to it at work yesterday, and the noise is coming from all around the chain itself - I think it may be where the O-rings are stiff and new. It's hardly a top spec chain! :)

pilninggas - not entirely sure what you mean, but the chain only contacts two places other than the sprockets. These do make a bit of a noise, as tested, but aren't really the cause.

I have a job at a good outdoor kart centre, and I listened to the chains on the karts. The company karts don't have O-ring chains, and don't make the same noise. A private kart owned by a colleague DOES have o-rings, because he can't be bothered to change it all the time. He bought a more expensive one, and as such you can't hear the noise over the engine, but with the stethoscope you can hear it, albeit much, much quieter.

Lesson learned :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online