TY175 trials bike insurance

jim*jimbo
This post is 4281 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Here's a real curved ball guys -

Just aquired a lovely 1981 TY175 with a daytime MOT and no lights.

Flippin insurance companies want crazy money to insure it - i.e. more than a Z750 I've just sold. I've also got an RSV4 Aprilia Tuono but MCE won't insure the TY under a multibike policy for an array of totally irrational reasons.

The various companies also tell me that I can't use my no claims discount on more than one insurance policy - Errrr, hang on a minute, I don't think its possible to ride 2 bikes at the same time DOH. Also insurance is about risk so if you've got no claims discount it should mean that the discount applies to however many policies you have!! Or am I wrong? Oh no, Mr Angry is coming out.

Anyway, putting the soap box away - does anyone out there know of a company that might cover my little TY for sensible money?

Cheers

Jim.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi Jim

I know what you mean, I can get insurance for my FJR easy, but the 1976 DT twinshock that is different, I eventually got it covered via a classic policy £101, I have built up NCD on both bikes though.

Aj

Thanks guys I'll give ty trials a call and let you know how I get on.

Hey Aj - my second bike was a candy gold DT 175 twin shock - loved it! Seemed like a rocket ship after the FS1E. Is that your white DT in your picture profile?

And airhead - my third road bike was a white DT175 MX - one of my mates had a tuned up DT100 that was about the same speed as my 175 but it keep seizing up.

Happy days!

Hi Jim

Yes the DT is my profile pic, It is nowhere near a restored show piece, I wish it was, and that I had the money to make it so, but it is used 2 or 3 times a week and it is so useful at nipping through the town, I have even took it down some local green lanes, got the foot pegs wedged in the sides of a 4x4 wheel track and did a superman over the bars, much to the delight of the orange brigade that I was with,

I have brought one or two parts from TY trials, the last item was the TY175 gear selector plate.

Aj

Did the same thing riding through long grass on my DT175 - hit a hidden tree stump and straight over the bars, and yes i also had an audience!

I put nearly 20k miles on that DT including a lot of weekends riding/racing around a huge old chalk pit near Luton, absolutely bullet proof, it just wouldn't break.

If only I'd have kept it...........................

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online