Dragstar 650, or stick with Virago 535?

EazyDuz
This post is 4252 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So i absolutely love cruisers and particularly the build quality of my 1990 535.

The problem is this bike has been discontinued for a long time so parts will be difficult to find as time goes on.

So im considering an xvs650. Thing is they never seem to come up in the UK, they seem very rare. I am particularly after a Classic one as they look better than the custom imo.

One thing is, do they even make these still or did they stop production in 2008?

Also, did they change anything from their release in 1997 to present?

Any replies from people who have owned an xvs650 would be useful, or someone who has owned that and a 535 and can give a review of the differences?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

>so parts will be difficult to find as time goes on.

Will they?

Most Viggie owners I know are doing fine.

>So im considering an xvs650.

Also discontinued in 2004... but again, no biggie.

>Thing is they never seem to come up in the UK, they seem very rare.

Well... I have one, my Mrs has one and about fifty people here all have one, there's several for sale on Bike Trader, several more on UK eBay, some on MCN's thingy, a load of them in all the local pages and parts are pretty darn plentiful (albeit comparatively expensive).

Like Microsoft Helpdesk, I seem unable to replicate the problem... :D

>I am particularly after a Classic one as they look better than the custom imo.

Yeah, well.... :)

I prefer the Custom as it's 20kg lighter and the styling is less showy. A lot of what makes the Classic look bigger is just a facade, like the cowl things over the front forks - Underneath, both models are the same. The ONLY advantage in the Classic, IMHO, is that it can fit bigger saddlebags... but 10 minutes and you can fix that with the Custom, too!

>Also, did they change anything from their release in 1997 to present?

Minor bits and pieces, but if it really makes a difference then the parts shop will usually ask what year yours is. If they don't, find a better parts shop. I recommend Wemoto for starters!

>or someone who has owned that and a 535 and can give a review of the differences?

1/. Google some comparison reviews, as there are literally THOUSANDS of them out there!

2/. In brief: The 650 is bigger, but heavier and actually puts out less HP than the 535 with a lower power-to-weight ratio, but the difference isn't really evident in general. Most of it comes down to how you ride. I personally believe the 650 has better handling, especially when you bump up the rear monoshock and shorten the wheelbase.

The 535 is piddly-small, too upright for my preferred styling and is often viewed as a Old Man's Bike, even though it was originally conceived as one sized for women and smaller riders in general.

The 650 has a much larger tank and a longer, lower, sleeker profile (more evident in the Custom version). The brakes seem generally better and the 650s shaft drive is a massive improvement.

I could probably go on all day, but I need to do some work and you really should go post an Intro - We tend not to respond well to those that don't :D

I think that you have been particularly generous Ttm :eusa_clap: but then you went and spoit it by casting nasturtiums :ylflower: :ylflower: re the merits of your Custom v Classic. :eusa_think:

My Classic was first registered as new in 2007 so they may have stopped in 2008 but as Ttm said, loads around when I bought it 3 years ago and still today if you bother to look.

So i absolutely love cruisers and particularly the build quality of my 1990 535.

The problem is this bike has been discontinued for a long time so parts will be difficult to find as time goes on.

So im considering an xvs650. Thing is they never seem to come up in the UK, they seem very rare. I am particularly after a Classic one as they look better than the custom imo.

One thing is, do they even make these still or did they stop production in 2008?

Also, did they change anything from their release in 1997 to present?

Any replies from people who have owned an xvs650 would be useful, or someone who has owned that and a 535 and can give a review of the differences?

Its unlikely that you'll struggle for parts for an xv535, they sold by the boatload in the late 80s and well into the 90s, good late models hold their price well. Model was only discontinued because of emissions regs, and replaced by the Dragstar range.

The Dragstar 650 aint rare, plenty for sale and they hold their value

thanks for the replies. I love the nimbleness of my 535 so i think ill hold on to it for a year or 2 before treating myself to a dragstar.

Randomly passed a yamaha dealership yesterday so i popped in to see what they had.

The woman said they rarely get the xvs650 in, but they did have a brand new xvs950 in stock, that thing looked insane.

Hi

I am in Leicestershire, where abouts are you?

World of Bikes at Corby have a Dragstar Classic in at the moment, its not far over the border dependent on where in Leics you are.

Hi

I am in Leicestershire, where abouts are you?

World of Bikes at Corby have a Dragstar Classic in at the moment, its not far over the border dependent on where in Leics you are.

http://www.worldofbikesuk.com/

awesome you are in harborough, im near lutterworth.

Went to harborough the other day to buy a windscreen off a bloke.

You on facebook?

The woman said they rarely get the xvs650 in, but they did have a brand new xvs950 in stock, that thing looked insane.

That's because it's a dealer and they'll want to sell you the newer, more expensive version. Look around online. We've told you where to look...

but then you went and spoit it by casting nasturtiums

Eh?

What has water cress got to do with this?

And yeah, those are the differences between the two - The Custom is about performance, while the Classic is the same model, but with 20kg of extra styling on top which IMO drags it down and holds it back. It's also more expensive, generally.

Everyone *knows* the Custom is better than the Classic, just like everyone knows the RED version of any bike model will always go faster!! :D

Yeah I am in Harborough, and the wife opened me a Facebook account but I don,t use it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online