DT 175 steering bearing issues ......aarghhh

This post is 4220 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok here we go

IMG_02341-1.jpg

Yoke showing shoulder

IMG_02301.jpg

Grease seal in place

IMG_02231.jpg

Bearing in place

IMG_02211.jpgIMG_02221.jpg

IMG_02181.jpg

Cups driven in to shoulders

IMG_02171.jpg

Top bearing in

IMG_02161.jpg

Stem in

IMG_02151.jpg

Top seal on

IMG_02421.jpg

Drawn up with threaded bar

IMG_02141.jpg

lock nut on

IMG_02451.jpg

5-6 mm gap between top of stem and top of yoke.

I have just re fitted it with the old grease seal which has given me an extra mm or so, see image below

IMG_02401.jpg

thats not good! :eusa_think:

The castle nut should be pretty much filled with the stem thread

The old seal fits around the shoulder doesnt it, thats why you gan a bit extra there.

are both the new seals the same with the same sized holes through them?

of course if you rough it together with no seals you should have lots of stem thread available...if not then the bearings are no good! ?

Yes you are correct the old seal fits around the shoulder but omitting both seals only gains me about 2mm

I have tried the seals every which way even the wrong way up :eusa_whistle: the holes are the same size.

Think I am going to order some more bearings, can you recommend a supplier I was going to go through Yambits

Yes you are correct the old seal fits around the shoulder but omitting both seals only gains me about 2mm

I have tried the seals every which way even the wrong way up :eusa_whistle: the holes are the same size.

Think I am going to order some more bearings, can you recommend a supplier I was going to go through Yambits

by all means use yambits but why not ring them and speak to Dave (mr Yambits) talk to him about all the issues you are having with this

Well that's kind of a pisser isn't it? Isn't a reason behind getting the tapered ones to get away from the older style? Hmm I hope I don't run into that. :shakeno:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, yeah all good. after assembling and disassembling it so many times the whole thing went together in about 20 minutes. came across another issue (see topic - front wheel alignment)

set out for its mot last Saturday but the gear shift pedal broke before i got to the end of the road :eusa_doh:

fingers crossed for this Saturday

I have the top and bottom yokes of a ct1 if they fit? in good nick if any use.They were not on taperd bearings but i beleve you can fit them .Looking at your pics the replacement bearings look wrong anyhow good luok i am only near crewe if you need the bits Ian Edit i see the problems sorted..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online