XJ600 Project

GREIGE
This post is 3323 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a Haynes Manual

Getting a Clymer Manual

Where do I find parts manual ? How much do they cost ?

Full o questions me ....

:biggrinbounce::biggrinbounce::biggrinbounce:

google is your friend, no posting on this forum regards links.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Couldnt find anything about parts manual unless you count fiches which arent any good without a reader(unless they are on CD)

All the stuff from Wemoto came yesterday !

Those gel Batteries way a ton dont they ? For such a wee item.

Another step closer to getting bike on road.

If this works here are some up to date photos of the XJ ;

P1020440.jpg

Rusty Shock STILL MOVES ! ! Hopefully when i get it off the bike it will be OK to be refurbished. Red Spring maybe ? ?

P1020437.jpg

Forks are rusty, Not leaking but really need rechroming. Putting seals on other forks I have means I can do this whaen I have more money.

P1020446.jpg

Got given this exterior grade light to put up in my carport. It works but needs wired in somehow.( Before winter ! ! )

P1020431.jpg

Bike sitting in splendour of carport. Is covered when Im not working on it. Still clearing rubbish out to give me working space.

forks will be £200 for a grind/rechrome down here, i think theres a guy that does them about £150 a set near luton (philpots) but its a case of shopping around to see who will do them.

the rusty shock?, that may cost £100 to rebuild, but if it works id just clean it up and reassemble it, i'd be more owrried about that shitty swingarm, get it off and shotblast/powdercoat it!.

ive just about finished shotblasting my XJ650 parts so if you want anything doing let me know, ive got all the gear to do it sat in the shed.

Thanks wild foamy. Will work out what to do with shock when I get it off and have a proper inspection. Dont know what the seals or bushes are like on it.

The swing-arm does look a bit awful doesn't it ! Think I might also be looking at new bearings for it as well as shot-blasting/powder coating/finding decent one on ebay cheap to give me another bit to work on.

Thank you for the offer of shot-blasting. Probably take you up on that. Its something I know nothing about & haven't priced anyone up here for doing.

swingarm bushes are a standard thing i think, i ended up having to rebuild most of my shock absorber link assembly as there was about an inch of play at the rear wheel :o.

Hoping for s l i g h t l y tighter play than that !

Latest purchase arrived today.

Spent a few hours trawling the internet on a search for brake lines.

Finally decided on ones from HEL.

Went for black covered lines with shrink wrapped ends & black stainless banjos.

photos to follow when I get organised.

Also purchased DID sprockets & chain Set. Awaiting delivery on that.

Budget now 60% spent and I still have to get tyres,steering head bearings,possibly swing arm bearings, MOT,Tax & Insurance.

Oh for some Overtime....

Tyres can be picked up cheap enough aslong as you arent too picky, when i had my XJ600 i used to pick up front tyres for about £30 a pop on eBay, mostly new old stock or from unfinished projects.

i also ended up buying stainless braided lines and they made a big difference :), cost about £60 though.

Hel ones are a wee bit more expensive.

£126 complete set. But since its my life I'm mucking about with I'm not being cheap !

Never thought about looking for tyres on ebay. cant fit tyres so always got tyres at a establishment that can do all.

fitting tyres is easy enough, its getting the old ones off and breaking the bead that is a pain in the ass :(.

i ended up with a brand new continental on the front for £30, and the hoses i had were goodridge, got rid of the spongey lever feeling on the front as the rubber hoses used to balloon under pressure.

Thats me received my Clymer Manual.

So now i have a Haynes & a Clymer I think I can probably get into trouble quite quickly some work done on the bike.

IF I can get some time.

Also my new DID chain & sprockets Kit was delivered today. looking good.

Will post photos when i get a chance to take them.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

• 3 weeks later...

Result !

Got a nice 2nd hand rear shock off a running 1992 bike for £60 ! !

This week I aim to get the back wheel,Swing-arm & Shock off the bike so I can feel some progress has been made.

Then work out how to tip the bike back so I can get the forks off & get new steering head bearings in so I can put the replacement forks on.

( After I take them apart & replace the seals & oil of course.......)

Yep. Sounds about right. Roughly what I thought of doing.

The other was since it will have no back wheel,swingarm & shock. Pile o bricks on the ground under the seat & one of my big tie down straps loop under them around the seat then ratcheted enough just to give some working room at front.

I will come up with something.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever had the feeling that everything is conspiring against you actually doing some work on your motorbike ? ?

2 weeks holiday ( 1st week in Englandshire,2nd week at home with the assurance that I WOULD get a day with the bike) & never got near it.

Off 3 days this week. haven't even moved the tarp off of it. Next week i have 2 days off. Day 1 I'm painting the garden fence,trip to the rubbish dump,getting blinds fitted & putting up new curtains. 2nd day I haven't found out about yet but what are the chances I will get time for the bike? ? .........

Looks to be in somewhat similar state to mine......

:eusa_think::eusa_think::eusa_think:

Wee bit progress. Sorted out where to put my light in the carport so putting that up next week.

Also found my external grade switches & sockets for getting power out for light & power tools. So putting them in next week as well.

Got all the right bits for my drill + screws & rawlplugs so all set. Just work & Family getting in the way.

Nothing new there.

Even my Bosses Boss came up to me in the Crew Room and asked if I had made any progress with my Bike ! !

This bike will be on the road for spring. Lots o people waiting to see it going. Even the Pastor at the church I attend is waiting for it. ( he rides a Suzuki GS500 ). Some of the other members have bikes so there is a core of people just waiting for me to join in on their runs.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

Power into Carport ! ! !

Also light in to Carport ! ! !

Now for the electricians amongst you. The light in my carport is on all the time. regardless of which way the switch is pushed.

the switch has 3 bits at the back for wires : L1,Common,L2.

Live feed into Common. Then Live to Light from L1. Tried the wires in another couple of ways but Light doesnt come on. Any ideas ? ?

happy for the light to come on when I switch power on from inside the house because days are getting shorter & i will be working on bike in the dark.

But next spring,summer dont really want the light to be coming on when the Sun is shining. Any thoughts ? ?