XJ600 Project

GREIGE
This post is 3296 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I would assume you would only need to use two wires! A switch just interrupts the supply

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my experience of polyphase systems is limited, perosnally i'd be checking for continuity between all combinations of the three poles on the switch.

never had much experiance with domestic wiring other than change plugs :( please for f*cks sake dont electrocute yourself.

my experience of polyphase systems is limited, perosnally i'd be checking for continuity between all combinations of the three poles on the switch.

never had much experiance with domestic wiring other than change plugs :( please for f*cks sake dont electrocute yourself.

All wiring to Carport is UNPLUGGED while I am working on it. Only plugged in to do the smoke test.

drewpy. Got 3 wires.

Green/yellow Earth straight through to light fitting cos its metal.

Blue Neutral straight through as its not required to be split at switch.

Brown Live is the only wire that is required at the switch. Main interrupted Live goes to Common ( I believe ) then the Brown for the Light goes to either L1 or L2. Its on L1 at the moment which gives me Constant On. If I switch to L2 it gives me nothing.

Consensus with a few friends & my dad tonight thinks it may be a faulty switch. Broken so gives constant live through L1 and nothing through L2 as it wont switch over.

Open for ideas though..

Ta.

1 step closer to actually working on the Xj600..........................

• 2 weeks later...

EVERYTHING ON HOLD.

Due to ongoing health issues that my wife has it has become apparent that our present house is not suitable.

So we have come to the decision that we must sell our house & relocate to a bungalow.

This means that all my energies on my days off will have to be focused on down sizing all our stuff so that we can move into a smaller dwelling.

So I am making arrangements to move my XJ & store it at my Dads. Also all my tools & spares for the XJ.

Furniture to be picked up by local charities ( except for the stuff we are keeping),trips to the tip,charity shops etc.

No fun for a wee while but hopefully I will be back working on the XJ within a few months. ( Also hoping to have a new proper shed with roof,walls,doors,power,light etc. Watch this space....[ 10x8 gable shed with double doors... :whistle: .] )

Sorry to hear of the health issues mate, long term heath issues suck! but at least your getting a propper man cave out of it.

Thankyou people.

Trying to get the house into condition to sell. Not many suitable bungalows in Fife in our price range at the moment ( just 2 !! )

Only 1 that has everything we need.

Man cave is a dream that I hope to get if we have the room! Keep praying ! !

Wish you luck with your move and hope your wife keeps well, it's at these times that family and friends come into their own, don't be to proud to ask for help if you need it. Take care of yourself as well. :jossun:

OK. I haven't picked up the bike yet but want to be prepared. List of things to do ,what order, what may need replacing etc

Just enjoy the out come bud. :-)

20130927_164107.jpg

At the moment I don't even know what year it is ! Just know its a pre Divi XJ600.

What I'm thinking ( in no chronological order ) is the following:

1 : Fuel Tank. Rust inside ? Old Fuel ?

2 : Fuel lines. Knackered/perished ?

3 : Carbs. Stripped & cleaned ?

4 :CDI how to check ?

5 : Oil & Filter. Change before or after getting engine turned over ?

6 : Battery. Probably knackered from sitting outside for years.

7 : Rear shock. Repairable or pick up something 2nd hand. May be seized.

8 : Brake calipers. Rebuild or replace ? Brake lines renew with braided hose.

9 : Tyres. Replace. old tyres definitely knackered with sitting outside.

10: Chain & sprockets. renew.

11: Clutch. new plates & springs ? ?

12 :Other......

So what am I missing ? Anything major ? This is a project bike so will be worked on when time/finances allow.

All comments are greatly appreciated ( especially funny ones....)

Respray......

Are you sure its a XJ600 ? ? ?

Its got SHAFT DRIVE, XJ600 is CHAIN DRIVE ! !

May be XJ900 you are looking at.

:blink::blink:

Was thinking that is a 900 seat could be a 750 I suppose but I have one of them and the seat looks different! Not sure what the 700 looks like? Not a 700 they are like the Maxim.Yamaha900.jpgThis is the 900 seat.

I think you have a 900 mate? Look at the side panel by the carbs they look the same to me. Spotted something else as well the wheels are the same on this one as yours.

Unless someone has swapped all the parts off of a 900? It could be done but a lot of work as the fittings would be different.

Another Update :

Bought a Bungalow ! With a Garden ! With space for a Man Cave !

Eyeballed the space I can put a shed & (confirming with a tape measure when I get the chance) I think I can get a 10'x8' shed at the side of the house.

With room to spare & have access to back garden.

Entry Date is mid Nov so it will be spring before I get the area slabbed & shed put in.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

• Like 1

Proper Job! good on you mate, new start for you and the missus hopefully things will get better here on out

As above hope your both going to be happy in your new home and a new shed, SORTED. :jossun:

Was quick.

God had been hinting to us for months to get rid of excess baggage. We ignored him.

So up pops the perfect bungalow with all the extras and in the budget we had.

So what could we do but get off our fat rears & go see it.

Its a repossession, non standard build.

Signed mortgage stuff today. How does 3 bedroom,3 piece bathroom( Bath,washbasin,toilet) and separate WC ,Kitchen diner,lounge,Box room,utility area,BIG garden,off road mono-block parking for 2 cars, 85m sqr loft space sound ? ? ?

All this for £50,000

:biglaugha::eusa_clap::elephant::chair:

Will post some pictures separately when I get some taken.