XJ600 Project

GREIGE
This post is 3318 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

IT LIVES ! ! IT LIVES ! !

Albeit briefly. Decided to run jump leads from car to bike for electricity & circuit. Put fuel tap on prime.( :eusa_whistle: ) Switched on & had green neutral light ! wahey ! !

So decided to thumb starter just too see if the engine would even turn. It did. Thumbed it a couple more times & the engine ran !! Switched off hoping I havent done much damage. Wife came walking out & said "is it meant to be leaking fluid like that ?"

Sure enough petrol coming out the carbs ! ! :eusa_doh::icon_redface1:

So the carbs were gonna be taken off to be cleaned anyway. It runs though ! ! 7 year old petrol as well...

Pumped up the tyres & they are holding pressure so at least pushing it around the carport will be slightly easier.

while you are on a stripping trip! if you decide to check your clutch out let me know how many fibre discs yours has as I bought a set for mine which had 7 in it, the book says 7 but mine has 8 ??? baffled, PS bits for these are available quite easily of the old EBAY just seen a complete rear wheel with disc for peanuts on there

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Will do peterb1951.

Yep. saw that wheel on Ebay. Some one selling bits for XJ in South Queensferry which is 1/2 an hour away from me. On my doorstep really.

Hope to start stripping in the next few weeks. Jobs in the house that MUST be done first. According to SWMBO.

( just been onto Yambits. according to their website the clutch has 8 plates.

Hope this helps.

Will do peterb1951.

Yep. saw that wheel on Ebay. Some one selling bits for XJ in South Queensferry which is 1/2 an hour away from me. On my doorstep really.

Hope to start stripping in the next few weeks. Jobs in the house that MUST be done first. According to SWMBO.

( just been onto Yambits. according to their website the clutch has 8 plates.

Hope this helps.

Looks like I was sold a pup then, still that's what you get for taking the bargain route I suppose, stripped mine out anyway but plates looked good so refitted them, I think previous owner had maybe put the lever in wrong as its better than it was, not perfect but better

following this with interest, god i miss that sweet-ass XJ of mine... i got a feeling the fireblade wont do 50mpg :(.

may have to buy it back before i leave benson...

forgot to add, looks like your bike also has the Motad exhaust system, they are prone to rotting out in the collector box, kind of a crap design really, the downpipes are stainless steel but the collector box and tail section are mild steel and as i said they tend to rust away due to the moisture collecting at the lowest point in the pipe, good luck finding an original exhaust system though, you will probably find rocking horse sh*t with hens teeth in it easier than you will find a complete system for sensible money, same can be said for the pannier rack!

• 2 weeks later...

Got the exhaust off. All looks fine in the colector area. Except for surface rust & dirt the whole exhaust looks fine.

Stripped off all the bodywork as well. Taken off battery & air filter.

then OOPS ! butter fingers. I dropped the clocks. Glad my tarpualins are blue. Didnt show up the air colour...

So another job added to the list. Anyone know a good clock refurbisher or can suggest a home made repair. Just the plastic cover over the speedo thats broke.

( Lucky S.O.B time again. Got given bike jacket & trousers for nothing cos they are too big for guy that had them. Fit me fine...)

You lucky SOB's free bikes wtf next is it going to start raining money to fix them. :shrug:

Nice bike for free and won't cost much to get road worthy used forks,new tires, new fluids thoes bikes weren't hard on clutches so if it's not broke why fix it?Like the brake hoses don't have to be replaced they work,, cdi must be fine it started,calpiers dont leak so why put seals in just flush the system, if the chain and sprockes are still ok use them untill the need to be replaced.same with the brake pads and discs the rear 1 prob isn't warped your just looking at the rust I would take sand paper and clean it up first. Realy short of the forks,carbs needing cleaning and the tires being 7 yrs old the bike just needs alot of polishing.Even the seat isn't ripped.Quite a deal for free :thumb: shame about droping the clocks.

Jus a thought how much would that new fugly farring fech ,me I would sell it for $$$ to buy the parts needed and have her on the road in a week, :yes: and replace the" want "things as money alows. But as winter is just around the corner 6months of cleaning and painting she will be a beauty.

Just on the brakes. These brake lines are now 22years old. On safety grounds I will be replacing them. The calipers will be getting checked out and if pistons & seals are OK then I will clean them & put them back on. Rear disc getting replaced on safety grounds as well. it is much worse in real life as compared to the photos.

tyres have splits in the side walls so will be getting replaced. A job that would have been getting done regardless of how good they looked.

Chain & sprockets look fine. Clean & lube.

Clutch mecahnism moving so just got to check the plates. replace if required.

keeping the ugly fairing cos I like it !

• 1 month later...

UPDATE.

Well nothing has been done in the last few weeks due to

A: Wife is very ill ( Heart attack that was diagnosed as gastroenteritis ! ! )

B: water leak in kitchen which means insurance company involved. Kitchen units,floor & wall plaster to be stripped & replaced.

C; hasnt happened yet but it all comes in 3's they say. :bawling::scared:

You lucky SOB's free bikes wtf next is it going to start raining money to fix them. :shrug:

:crylaugh::chair: Ha" classic , I"v missed this post,,, your near me too Wheres about in fife,

Im in the lovely little hamlet of Glenrothes New Town.

A wonderful post war tribute to Bad Planning,Bad Building & Bad Ideas. The Great Tri-something or other.

:spin2::biglaugha::icon_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Shit, sorry to hear about the bad news dude, im sure Karma will reward you sooner or later though.

As for the clocks im pretty sure i have an old set kicking around here somewhere depending which parts you want, i had 3 spare sets at one point but i think i gave them all to the new owner when i sold my XJ :'(

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Wild Foamy. Its the thought that counts.

All work on bike put on hold at the moment while my Better Half is in CCU at the VHK.

In fact it may be on hold indefinitely due to changes at work as well. Change of shift rota = less money,.

But may be able to get more O/T.

When my wife is fit enough to come home that is.

• 7 months later...

UPDATE

Have some money to spend on the XJ !

Just got 2 wheels off ebay. £26 each + £8 delivery each.

Got shiny brake discs on them !! Tyres that probably will be fine for MOT. ( Get them replaced asap anyway)

Got forks coming as well. £90 + £15del off Ebay. Complete with triple clamp/tree thingy. So new bearings,oil seals(because) and dust seals then staright fit on hopefully.

This means I have spare wheels & forks to refurb when I get cash.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Thats the forks arrived. Need a good clean.

Need new seals but thats how the seller described them.

Project starting to come together now. Just got to clean out Carport to give me space to work & I can get started.

Piccies as I can get them on.

( new batteries for camera ! :banghead::banghead::photo2: )

Still forgot batteries for camera.

Done Jury Duty on my 2 days off this week as well.... :madflame::madflame::madflame:

So lost some time on the bike.

However I spent some time at work today on the computer.

Went comparing prices on things & bought some spares from Wemoto. Wasn't cheapest for everything but getting them all in one place made more sense.

1 Gel Battery

1 Air Filter

1 Oil Filter

4 Spark plugs

2 Fork Oil Seals

2 Fork Oil Seal Clips

2 Fork Dust Seals

2 pairs Front Brake Pads (GG)

1 pair Rear Brake Pads (GG)

on separate shopping got 1 Clymer Manual.

When these all come they will be put safe in cupboard till I need them ( Soon soon sooon.......)

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::spin2::spin2:

get a part manual too, comes in handy chasing spares.

just cleaning carbs on the fz (xj motor), rewired alternator and other bits and bobs.

doing clutch tomorrow (weather permitting)

Got a Haynes Manual

Getting a Clymer Manual

Where do I find parts manual ? How much do they cost ?

Full o questions me ....

:biggrinbounce::biggrinbounce::biggrinbounce: