xs250 rebuild

beef
This post is 3659 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok about ten years ago i was given this xs250 by a friend after my kwak 125 was nicked and burnt out.

xs1.jpg

it was ran for about a month was really spluttery and crap. inspection found that the spark plug had been snapped in the head and then welded together

i have never rebuilt an engine before, and i want to, so i figured that seeing as the engine was already pretty much knackered then i would do it to this one and get it back on the road and outta my garage.

so engine was taken out

IMAG0405.jpg

the offending spark plug

IMAG0411.jpg

i then set about stripping it down to sort it.

the head didnt want to budge but i got it afer a while and much effort to reveal this

IMAG0412.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

so then i carried on stripping it.

IMAG0416.jpg

wiring loom out, most of its in poor condition, so will get a rewire

SDC10902.jpg

rear guards off

SDC10901.jpg

and then everything else that needed to come off did

SDC10903.jpg

when removing the seat the hinges fell apart and there is some rust all over the seat base, so decide that it was to be stored for a later date and after looking around the web i found this

5163308104_93e78fde611.jpg

so i decided that was the route for me

so cut and ground of the seat mounts

SDC10907.jpg

the blue is to cover the bare metal to protect it till i blast it

will be getting rid of the bits thats red and chopping the rail down to the back of the cross member and plating it to take the rear lights.

also need to cut off the rear footpeg mounts and a few other unwanted brackets ect.

and as you saw from the pics the frames rusted and scratched and in a mess so it will be blasted and powdered

forks may need replacing as they are pitted.

fork lowers will be powdered as will the swing arm and a few other bits.

got a custom seat unit for it so will be incorporating the side panels and keeping the air box as i have the kwak which is running pod filters and has been a pain in the arse to sort out and running right.

Very nice. I like that inspiration bike. I'll stay tuned for updates to see how it turns out. :)

Neat be looking foward to see the finished bike

very interesting, looking forward to see how this turns out.

also try the www.xs400.com site as the bike shares everything with the 400 except carbs head and barrel in the sohc range.

I have a rewire how to on there too!

Yeh good on yeah" i would go and put in the 400 engine in , as the XS250 was a bit of a sick old dog ,

good luck ,,,keep the pickies coming,, :photo2:

well i have been to the engineers and they have got the spark plug out of the head and there is still thread on the head to accept the plug. :spin2:

buuuut i have also found another head, barrels and pistons. and they will be with me by the end of the week. so rebuild will begin soon once i can afford a full gasket set and the nesseccary bits.

well i have had a delivery,

heres the box

newbits1.jpg

and its contents

newbits2.jpg

thats, barrels. pistons. head. cover and oil filter

newbits4.jpg

and after a quick wire brush to remove the crud, i find nice smooth undamaged barels and pistons

newbits3.jpg

and a head in need of a good polish.

all the bits are mechanically sound but in need of a good clean and polish prior to rebuild.

so i have the lower cases, barrels, head and cases to blast and clean.

but do i paint the lower cases, barrels and head, and then polish the cases or do i blast them and leave them bare, if so how do i protect them from the elements??

I used steve Smethhurst

he lives near me so postage no problem and his son goes to my school :)

I used steve Smethhurst

http://www.aloh.co.uk/

he lives near me so postage no problem and his son goes to my school :)

thanks for the link drewpy, my mate has just bought a parts cleaner and also has a media blaster so i will be doing the majority of it myself.

but i need my carbs vapour blasting and have been looking for weeks and found nothing. so i will be giving him a call.

and hes only over in salford so bout 15 20 mins away as am in oldham. so no postage ect and can talk face to face aswell.. :icon_smile:

thanks for the link drewpy, my mate has just bought a parts cleaner and also has a media blaster so i will be doing the majority of it myself.

but i need my carbs vapour blasting and have been looking for weeks and found nothing. so i will be giving him a call.

and hes only over in salford so bout 15 20 mins away as am in oldham. so no postage ect and can talk face to face aswell.. :icon_smile:

I have used a guy in Skemersdale to do mine. he'll give 10% to YOC members. details in the members section

well i have had a blast at my mate brads today,

literally. all afternoon with the sand blasting cabinet

i did the top half of the lower cases, the engine, breather cover, the barrels, and the con rod.

am happy with all the bits, espcially the con rod as it was rusty and full of crap and has come up so clean and well and no signs of damage.

couple of comparison pics.

blasted1.jpg

at the top of the pic you can just see the top of the lower cases...

blasted2.jpg

will take some of all the engine parts together when they are all done.

make sure you clean the crap out.

dish washers work well especially when the female of the species is out

could do with my Gilera tank paint blasting off, how much to get it done?

make sure you clean the crap out.

dish washers work well especially when the female of the species is out

could do with my Gilera tank paint blasting off, how much to get it done?

dont worry about it getting cleaned out it will be getting a good air hosing and a trip through the parts washer

and i will ask about the tank. you get any pics of it

looks exactly like this

DSC00906.jpg

but I've tried to get the paint off with crap nitromors and hardly made an impression!

have finally stripped the engine down to empty cases.

and i have also blasted the lower half of the lower case.

i also built a little jig to hold the engine while i rebuild it and until the frame is ready.

enginejig1.jpg

enginejig3.jpg

enginejig2.jpg

might not look much but i made it from scratch with no drawings and did the few welds myself, something else i aint never done before.

but it will hold it while i work on it and it will do what i want it too.

• Like 1

was they at Brad's shop?

think I saw those tonight!

keep the work rate up, you don't want to stall before the end :)

was they at Brad's shop?

think I saw those tonight!

keep the work rate up, you don't want to stall before the end :)

yeah i made it there as he has all the gear needed.

i left it on the bench where the pics were took. it needed to cool before i could take it home, was red hot after welding.

you get the tank done then?

yep, picked it up last night, prob going down sat about 11am on the tracker so Brad can have a looksee :)