xvs125 oil in air filter build up

Thunderchild
This post is 4268 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been having trouble with bogging on my xvs 125 as can be seen in my other thread. I decided today to clean out the carb and noticed a pool of oil in air filter again. I recently cleaned out the air filter and also changed the oil and oil filter so it's not over filled. Is this the piston rings or the crankcase vent tube? I can't see where it has come from to be honest and it's not smoking when started which I would have thought would be an indicator of the rings? She did have too much oil in her previously which is why I drained/changed it all recently. She felt like she wanted to go yesterday when I tried her, but bogged down again and cut out when I stopped.

Any ideas welcome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would suggest pulling the plugs out and havin a look at them if they are coated in burnt oil then your looking at a rebuild. Puting in a new set may get you sometime,if it fixes the bog then you know.If not then try pulling the air filter out may be more pluged than you think. Also have you tryed cleaning the carb? And doing a compression test?

As far as I know we never got thoes 125 bikes here too small for us crazy Canucks, but I have read here that the ring's are hard to get and expensive.

She has new plugs, new oil and filter. It was the first place I started as she had had too much oil in her to start with, so she's not 'over filled' any more. I know to expect a mist of oil in the air filter, but this was a small pool in the bottom of the case. I only cleaned this out recently so there shouldn't be that build up already from a quick test ride down the road. That's why I'm thinking the loss of compression is causing the bogging and blow through of oil. I'm waiting on a compression test kit coming to be sure before I spend out on a new set of rings.

could just be the excess oil that was in the pipe has been cleared, your best bet would be to take the engine case breather off the engine then try and start her up again. see if any oil is coming out of it

easy way to check if its the rings would be to try and start her up say 4 times, if it dont start then whip out the spark plugs and put a teaspoon of clean motor oil in the plug holes, then hold the start button for 3 seconds so the engine turns, put the plugs back in and try and start her up again, if she starts then its defiantly a compression problem. (the oil in the cylinder seals any gaps in the rings so you can start the engine, you will get a little smoke but it shouldnt harm the engine if you only put a teaspoon of oil in)

lets just hope your lucky and its not the rings :)

She starts no problem Paul, just bogging and not go over 15mph. I was going to clean out the carb today but once I found the oil in the air filter again I stopped, which is why I thought it could be the rings. I guess you could be right about the oil in pipes, as she is not blowing smoke when she starts which is what made me indecisive about the rings now.

I'll have a look at the engine case breather and see what's happening. If she looks ok, I'll go for the fuels lines check and then clean out the carb.

Edit: Just checked the breather and it's fine, no oil whatsoever.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online