1976 DT175C

Sacha
This post is 3433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hmm, sounds like you did it up right. I don't suppose you were lucky enough to have bought the (possibly) defective decal from a nice local shop who'll be glad to sand and prep it for another coat, huh? Oh well, you're in it now and it's still gonna be a freaking awesome ride! But, damn you, setbacks!!

BTW, on the plus side of this tragedy, at least you don't have to sand the underside of it again, or it didn't get kicked by a goat, . . . :jossun: It's gonna be kickin' a$$ and takin' names in no time!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thank you for that bit of inspiration. :) She will be kicking ass SOON!

• 3 weeks later...

What a bummer,cant see how the decal company can blame the RM products,did they give any recomened ratios for mixing the clear/hardner?

I;m leaning towards they printed the decals on crap vinal did the backing paper have 3M on it? Doubt they will pay for repaint but they could at least give you new stickers free.

Did the side pannels react as well?

Edited by dt502001

Hey DT502001... I saw you'd posted and expected a ragging for not having her done yet. :biglaugha:

The decals were 3M and the oil tank decal turned out fine. The decal website didn't have any information about ratios or what clear coat to use. They offered me a 10% discount and free shipping on my next order, which I suppose is better than nothing.

If I do get their decals again we may take them to a local place for reproduction in materials Mike knows will be okay with the RM products. But I'm also contemplating having my brother-in-law airbrush it. :eusa_think:

I've got the motor ready to go in the frame and I think I'll rig up an auxiliary fuel tank so I can at least get everything together and running in the meantime. :yeah:

well sacha, what can i say? she's coming on nicely!

When is this going to be finished then? ha ha...... might have a little race with you n see if i can get mine back on the road before you.

Doubt it will happen tho as you got too many advantages over the pond, bet you guys got bike bit on tap hey?

• Like 1

Ok here it comes then,WTF you haven't got the motor in the frame yet why? Don't you have 2 tanks just pop the other 1 one to run the bike untill you sort out the paint,the year is getting shorter allready ,or should you be putting white picket fence around this project. :biglaugha::babyha::razz: LOL.it's comming along nicely don't let the small set backs slow you down still a good 4 months of riding so geter done!

• Like 1

... might have a little race with you n see if i can get mine back on the road before you...

Oh it's on now... :biglaugha: You're way better at this than I am so you'd still have a chance!

Ok here it comes then,WTF you haven't got the motor in the frame yet why? Don't you have 2 tanks just pop the other 1 one to run the bike untill you sort out the paint,the year is getting shorter allready ,or should you be putting white picket fence around this project. :biglaugha::babyha::razz: LOL.it's comming along nicely don't let the small set backs slow you down still a good 4 months of riding so geter done!

Well, I wanted to clean the motor up a bit before I installed it, but then I decided to leave it. I'll just do a real nice clean and polish, new paint on the barrel etc. once I rebuild the original motor and get that one on it.

The oil pump from Dave's donor bike had been blocked off (so he'd been premixing) and I found out it's missing a gear so I swapped my original pump for his. His bike also didn't have a tank with it so I'm currently on the lookout for another tank.

Also, the "professionals" that rebuilt the motor buggered one of the seals so I had to take the cover off and fix that. Course I had to take the cover off any way so I could run the oil pump lines up through the casing. But I'm ready now... as soon as my nephew has a minute to come by and help me put the motor in.

dt_seal.jpg

Yep HARDLY mechanic's at work I'm thinking you could have done a better job blind folded,,realy how do you not see that? oh i know screw someone around for months on end and then just slap it together. I hope thats the only thing they ducked up. I guess they don't have a wire wheel either they could have cleaned up the rust on that shaft in seconds, but then againg they would have to care about the work they do!

The motor is not that heavy just get lots of rags and tape them to the frame where you might nick the paint when instaling the motor set it in place and use a jack tolift it up to get the mounting brackets and bolt to line up.

GET ER DONE LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I've been up to... rebuilt two carburetors... found out the one from Dave's bike was not looking well.

carb01.jpg

so decided to use the one I found on ebay.

carb02.jpg

Then I had to rebuild the carb on the little bike because she decided to have a bladder problem (again). This time I went as far as taking the throttle slide out and I did find some gunk in there. I'm hoping that some of that gunk made it's way down and was the cause of the overflow. Hopefully it'll be fixed this time.

carb03.jpg

After spending that morning on the little carburetor, I managed to get the motor mounted with some help from Mike...

motor_mounted.jpg

I thought I'd have a day's worth of work to get the exhaust, carb, air intake, etc. mounted, and I got started with the exhaust... only I ran into trouble. The holes on the exhaust flange of my original exhaust are too small for the studs on Dave's cylinder. So I thought I'd be clever and clean up Dave's exhaust and just use it. Got that done and went to install it. Here's what I found...

exhaust_gap.jpg

The original exhaust would reach the manifold, but the flange won't go over the studs, and Dave's exhaust wouldn't even reach the manifold. Damn it! Out with the measuring tape...

exhaust_measurement.jpg

I guess that's what happens when you use bits from two different bikes. Long story longer... she's still not done. :bawling:

Now I have to decide which way to move forward. Do I drill the holes out on my original exhaust flange? Do I get into my original motor and just get that one done so everything fits? Do I tear down Dave's donor bike and get all of his parts back on it? Oh, the choices...

• Like 1

Hey Sacha drilling out the original should pose a problem if you decide to put the original motor back in as you can slip a couple of washer on befor the nuts and wont hurt anything,or while you have the other motor appart put the larger studs in,I would because they are stronger Then even the purest wouldn't know.

Anyway keep up the good work nice to see your so close to riding it now. :hyper:

• 1 month later...

Hey whats up with the bike? Get the pipe problem fixed yet???????

Yes! I made new studs for the exhaust and got it assembled. Now I'm trying to work through a lack of spark. I've been working on homework since 7am in an attempt to free up all day tomorrow to work on her. :yeah:

Holy hell! It's been a month?!

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A7JtdOXmJqJOk4;0A34BB1F-564B-4B7B-886C-9C067117CF40

There are times of major frustration with most builds Sacha.

My build adage is:

"Until you have suffered pain, you don't know what pleasure is".

It could be translated into - The tougher the build, the more you enjoy the bike because you will know what it took.

• Like 1

Shame about the tank but realy it's looking great,you have come a long way from what you started with.I take it your not going to bother with the tank untill winter and just use it as is.I would.Looks great from afar and far from good up close :eusa_whistle: But thats 1 of thoes thing that you can't control,did the sticker company come thrue with new ones for free at least?

Hope the spark issue is easy to sort so you can finnaly ride the bike,realy we only have another60ish days of riding left before we start seeing the white crap falling and 90ish before were knee deep in the crap and cant ride

• 4 weeks later...

it's about time we had an update sacha.. :spin2:

All I got's this short video... see if you can make heads or tails of it...

http://youtu.be/k98DzK_W6yA