1976 DT175C

Sacha
This post is 3460 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The mental images...

Fomeh" you"ve been reading that Shavin Ravin mag again, :eusa_snooty: back in your box,

Now back on Topic " sash" hows your seat,, :ssst:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Fomeh" you"ve been reading that Shavin Ravin mag again, :eusa_snooty: back in your box,

Now back on Topic " sash" hows your seat,, :ssst:

Hmm... firm... yet soft, not too thick and with curves in all the right places. :biglaugha:

give me a break peeps, there is no alcohol out here, and what few women there are seem to be incredibly butch and twice my size... even the wildlife out here is starting to look attractive... i can even hear the stray cats f*cking behind the blast walls most nights, i swear they are doing it to tease me.

i need help... i know...

give me a break peeps, there is no alcohol out here, and what few women there are seem to be incredibly butch and twice my size... even the wildlife out here is starting to look attractive... i can even hear the stray cats f*cking behind the blast walls most nights, i swear they are doing it to tease me.

i need help... i know...

Poor Foams. :( I'm sorry.

heres-a-little-ass.jpg

Well what week is it this week or next week do they know what year it is they might finnish your motor?

• 1 month later...

Holy cow! This is still going on. I got wrapped up in suzukis and forgot about my favorite yamaha website. You should have just called down. We could have worked something out for a rebuild and it would have been in a timely manner. Thats ridiculous that the shop still has that engine. Did they get the magneto sorted out?

• Like 1

Well, here's the story with the motor... I took the motor to the shop and asked them to check it out. I knew the crank seals needed replacing (since the L/H one had dried up and fallen out) and the coil needed sorting. Guy took a look at it and we spoke over the phone. He said they could do the crank seals and gaskets, have the cylinder bored and do a one over piston and rings. So he would do all that as well as clean and adjust the points. He said the crank bearings felt good so he wouldn't need to split the case.

So later I find out that the case is broken where the shift lever shaft sits. Seeing how I didn't want to use my original case as a replacement, and the ones on ebay are evidently worth a fortune, he said he'd try to weld it. If he didn't think it would hold up he'd let me know. (Much) Later I got word the motor was done. Here's what was done: barrel bored and cleaned, new piston and rings, new crank bearings and seals, and new gaskets. edit - and the case welded. But when I went to pick it up today, it's now missing the magneto, the oil pump cover, and both the kick start and shift levers. I know I took all of it to them. Everything was in a box when I dropped it off. And why would he tell me he'd clean and adjust the points if he didn't even have them?! How was he supposed to check out the magneto (like I asked) if he didn't have it? I'm seriously so disappointed at this point. I'm calling him Monday to tell him he needs to find my missing parts (because they aren't at home!), and I'm never doing business with these guys again... I'll adjust the points myself, otherwise I may never get it back. :madflame:

But wait, there's another story! I took my wheels to the same place to relace the spokes and get new tires. $400 later I got the wheels back and changed out the bearings and seals. I mounted them and they were wobbly. I took them back and asked them to check the runout again because I couldn't think of anything I could have done to create the wobble. ?? He called me and told me that the rims had flat spots, but he got them "better than they were". Um, if the rims were bad why in the hell did he lace new spokes?! At least, that's what I asked myself. I thought they would tell you something like that. ?? They must really be getting a good laugh at my expense.

so déjà vu my bike is back to rolling chassis (I swear I get one step ahead and then have to go back two spaces)

dt042013.JPG

Edited by Sacha

Holy cow! This is still going on. I got wrapped up in suzukis and forgot about my favorite yamaha website. You should have just called down. We could have worked something out for a rebuild and it would have been in a timely manner. Thats ridiculous that the shop still has that engine. Did they get the magneto sorted out?

Hey Dave! Hope SL,UT is treating you well. :biglaugha:

No, they didn't sort the magneto... but I did get all my bits back tonight. :yeah: So I'll have to find a coil and I also noticed the flywheel nut and washer are missing... and I don't see them on the parts breakdown anywhere. ??

bits.jpg

gaskets.jpg

motor01.jpg

motor02.jpg

looks like I've got work to do! :)

Hey sash" that bad news all that, even more ,how can he tell the main bearings were ok,

i don"t lke the sound of him, loosing your parts too. incompetant bastard,

hope you get the parts , and read up about points settup, .

As for the wheels, if they had flat spots he would have seen that when trueing the first time,

hes a liar, get your old man to have a word,,, :yeah:

Hey sash" that bad news all that, even more ,how can he tell the main bearings were ok,

i don"t lke the sound of him, loosing your parts too. incompetant bastard,

hope you get the parts , and read up about points settup, .

As for the wheels, if they had flat spots he would have seen that when trueing the first time,

hes a liar, get your old man to have a word,,, :yeah:

Got the parts. And I paid for a set of crank bearings and labor so they better have replaced them. I am gladly done dealing with those yahoos now. :shrug: I'll be happy to go it alone... well, not really alone because it'll be with plenty help from all you YOC folk I'm sure!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so it's been a while again... but that doesn't mean there hasn't been progress (granted it hasn't been much). :)

I knew the screws on my coils were soft so I wanted to make some kind of tool to remove them without completely buggering them. However, I asked my dad for his help, and with the best of intentions, he made the decision for me... I would have to drill the screws.

magneto_screw01.jpg

magneto_screw02.jpg

I managed to get it done, and the coils off my original motor. One of the screws came out, but the other I popped the top off so I'll have to get the rest of the screw out of the threads, but I'm one step closer to a running motor.

coils01.jpg

coils02.jpg

I got the coils installed on Dave's motor, but now the flywheel nut doesn't want to thread on the crankshaft. :eusa_think: I'm not sure if the end got mushroomed or something at the shop or if I'll be able to clean up the threads once it gets started.

flywheel01.jpg

flywheel02.jpg

A couple of other things I noticed are cracks in the oil pump and flywheel covers. Do you think these will cause problems? Should I see if my original ones are any better or try to repair these?

oil_pump_cover.jpg

flywheel_cover.jpg

What else? Hubby and I got the decals on the tanks (well he did all the work, I just handed him stuff really). :)

tank.jpg

oil_tank.jpg

On the agenda for this week... more clear coat over those decals... another wet sand and then buff (and the tanks should be done). Clean and rebuild the used mikuni carburetor I found... finish installing the rest of the goodies on the motor and get it all mounted in the frame. (ambitious ya? here's hoping I get it done along with reading a chapter every night for my advanced research class)

Hi

The cracks won't affect the bike as both of the covers (Oil Pump & Mag cover) don't contain oil, the crank shaft stub does look a little messy,

Aj

Hi

The cracks won't affect the bike as both of the covers (Oil Pump & Mag cover) don't contain oil, the crank shaft stub does look a little messy,

Aj

Thanks Andy! I thought that'd be the case. :) I'll see what I can do to clean them up or see if mine are any better. Then I'll try to clean up those threads.

Lookn good sash" i see you had the hot air gun and soapy water there for the decals,, :thumb:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Class went til 8:30 and I'm too lazy to get on the computer, but wanted to give an update. I'm still making progress on the bike. But it sure seems like I take one step forward and three steps back.

The oil pump had been disconnected on Dave's old motor and on closer inspection it looks like it's missing a gear. So I've got my oil pump and will use it for now.

Now the really bad, sad, discouraging, infuriating... I could go on, but then it'll just sound like a pity party... so out with it... the black on the f!@#*g decals bled. They're completely ruined. The beautiful blue paint means f!@#* all now because it'll have to be completely sanded down again to totally start over. :madflame: The decal place said the decals have to be clear-coated, but Mike said he could see the clear coat penetrate the vinyl and bring the ink out. So now I've got to contact them and see what they're going to do. I tried to share some pics on my photostream, but I've no idea if it works. I'm just going to go relax and finish my cup of tea and try not to think about it for now.

So a good night for me and good morning to you all across the pond. :)

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A7JtdOXmJqJOk4

That's a shame Sacha, I really feel for you, all that hard work down the drain, still at least you know what it will look like when it's done AGAIN!! Enjoy your tea and a nights rest will make it all seem better tomorrow (hope) :eusa_think:

• Like 1

Wow, that's like, a total major bummer, dude! I'm curious to hear what the chemical reaction was, or if it was a faulty product. Do you know the names of the paint and clear coat? All oil or lacquer based, or all acrylic, or a mix? Was the reaction instant after the first coat? So many questions. . .

Either way, I hope it all ends up without too much sanding or expense to get a fresh coat on!

Wow, that's like, a total major bummer, dude! I'm curious to hear what the chemical reaction was, or if it was a faulty product. Do you know the names of the paint and clear coat? All oil or lacquer based, or all acrylic, or a mix? Was the reaction instant after the first coat? So many questions. . .

Either way, I hope it all ends up without too much sanding or expense to get a fresh coat on!

It is a bummer man.

He used all RM products (production clear, hardener, and reducer) to mix the clear. It reacted pretty much instantly. :(