Advice Please. What Do I Do next??????

weimieman
This post is 4286 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Morning all. Hope you are all keeping well. It's been a good couple of months since my last post as all the responsible grown up things like gardens, wall building etc have got in the way of fun things like motorbikes!

Well, I think I have bought myself sometime from wifey and it's that time of the year when I'm looking for my next project, only thing is, I haven't got a clue so I'm looking to all you knowledgable chaps (and chapesses) for a shove in the right direction.

Anybody who followed my tarting up of my trusty DT last year will know that I joined the forum as a bit of a laugh and I kind of got engrossed in the whole Yamaha scene and I put far more work into the DT than I ever thought possible. Needless to say that she has now been relocated froom the outside plastic greenhouse to the garage next to my main bike. The MOT has run out at the mo but I've had eye surgery recently so both bikes ran out at similar times and I was advised not ride for at least a week to a fortnight. Well the main bike flew through the test on Saturday so I just want to track down a nice set of 80's mirrors for the DT and that'll be the MOT sorted for that. I know I don't need the mirrors but I'm a bit of a big girl's blouse and I'm more comfortable riding with them.

Anyway, I digress. (Come on admit it, you've all missed me waffling on haven't you???)

The question is what bike do I go for next? Remember, my skills are only average and my budget isn't huge! I really enjoyed the DT and found my way around that okay with the help of a Haynes manual and a helluva lot of advice off here so I'm not against another one of those. I loved the simplicity of the 125 engine so I've been looking at RD's but they are commanding daft money and I'm after something a bit skanky to tinker with. I'm not against anything larger than a 125 but it does help to keep the cost down. LIke the DT, my plan was to get as much tax on it as possible when I first get my hands on it then register it in my wifes name so I can then ride it off my own insurance until the bikes finished and then swap it over to me. I know it add's an owner to the log book but with the age of the bike I'm looking at, another owner isn't going to hurt it!

I've really enjoyed some of the bobber projects on here but I don't want to go too far as my tool range isn't that great but I'm hoping to invest in a good welder and compressor this year so a bit of hammering, welding and filling won't be out of the question.

So you you have it peeps, I'm a blank page and would love to hear some advice what this novice (but enthusiastic) should do next. Looking at a max spend of £1000 on the bike so please enlighten me :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If sticking with Yams, what about an XT/SR 500.

A big single and relatively easy to work on. Can still be had for under £1k, obviuosly requiring some work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-Yamaha-XT500E-Enduro-Un-Registered-US-Import-Classic-Restoration-Project-/221060708364?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item33783eb80c

You do realise that to ride 'your wife's' bike (had to be carefull there) she has to have it insured in its own right.

As to others, how about an older 125, one of the yamaha twins. Or my "one day never" project of putting a 200DX motor in a DT175.

welcome back weimieman!

I have a few suggestions. I'm guessing with the DT125lc 86 you never got to experience th YPVS so how about 3 other 2 stroke options all of which utilise the power valve servo motor.

A bit too samey maybe but a later DT125R?

A move across to the sports side of things with a TZR125

or

a step up to a Yamaha RD350LC YPVS

with your experience of Yamahas and the 2 stroke engines im sure they would feel nice a familiar.

Yes the register it in the wifes name means you will end up with 2 policies, cos generally the bike has to be insured for your insurance to cover you 3rd party i think , be better to go to carole nash ot footman james and get a classic multibike policy, you can then add classics as you go i have 5 on mine added a Z650 at no cost last year all for £250 full comp agreed value on the RD,s

If sticking with Yams, what about an XT/SR 500.

A big single and relatively easy to work on. Can still be had for under £1k, obviuosly requiring some work

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item33783eb80c

Well thats a big old beastie! It's on the short list, thanks for the link :)

You do realise that to ride 'your wife's' bike (had to be carefull there) she has to have it insured in its own right.

As to others, how about an older 125, one of the yamaha twins. Or my "one day never" project of putting a 200DX motor in a DT175.

Indeed you did tread carefully there and I think you got away with it!!!! To be honest, I was kinda interested in one of the earlier DT's, somewhere late 70's ish and that was one of the few ideas I had for myself before running back to you lot!!!! Also considered a 175 or the ever decreasing in numbers rare-asrocking-horse-poo DT200.

All this talk is just getting the juices going again, takes me back to last summer and that bird cacking on my head!

welcome back weimieman!

I have a few suggestions. I'm guessing with the DT125lc 86 you never got to experience th YPVS so how about 3 other 2 stroke options all of which utilise the power valve servo motor.

A bit too samey maybe but a later DT125R?

A move across to the sports side of things with a TZR125

or

a step up to a Yamaha RD350LC YPVS

with your experience of Yamahas and the 2 stroke engines im sure they would feel nice a familiar.

Afternoon Andy

Damn good to be back to be honest. I have been checking in from week to week but not signing in just to see how everyone was getting on. I got to the point where I felt I had nothing to contribute if I didn't have a bike on the go!

I certainly like the idea of trying out the YPVS so a later DT is definately on the short list. Never thought about the TZR but that's definately rattling around in there now! I've been keeping an eye on some RD 350's and by God they do go for some daft money. My only fear with that sort of project would be that for me to get it so cheap it would have to be a complete stinker and to see any decent end result I'd have to get into the obessive world that Nev introduced me too but I don't think the old skill levels are up to that yet.

It's only been a couple of hours since I posted and I've got some great ideas now thanks to you lot. Ee by eck lads, it's reet grand to be back