DT175 MX Oil seal replacement

This post is 4286 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have gearbox oil leaking from behind the flywheel I think? I cant be sure untl I get the flywheel off. Can this happen or is it more likely the sprocket seal or clutch?

If it is the crank seal, how do I fix it??

I have heard it can be done in situ, but I have no idea how, any help much appreciated.

Ed

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Gearbox oil cannot leak from the LH crank seal Ed, Its either the sprocket seal or the gearchange shaft seal, crank seal can be done in situ as can gearchange shaft seal but cant remember whether the sprocket seal can, maybe Cynic will know?

Yes you can do it in situ, its the bearing you have to strip the gearbox for. Haven't done it myself mind, and i'd bet it will fight you as its a good size. Did mine when the cases were split. Its a dodle then.

Aah. Now im confused. Just had flywheel off, and it looks alot like the gearbox oil has been coming out of the crank seal. ie oil behind flywheel, and this area is pretty well secluded from the sprocket and gearchange because of the shape of the casting. Could the inner seal have gone too ?

Forgot to add, it only seems to leak when not running but warm. And having removed seal, its not a lip seal, its got a spring either side, which worrys me into thinking that some where inside is a lip seal where there should be a double seal? Eeek.

Damn, just placed order with yambits. Is it an engine strip job for rhs? It runs ok, maybe a bit Smokey, was running gear specific oil not engine oil though.

Only the outer case and the primary drive gear, the gearbox side isn't so bad as it seals to a collar (with said 'o' ring inside) so relatively it should come out easier.

Maybe remove the clutch basket for a bit more wiggle room.

Don't mix the seals up when you get them they look very very similar.

They will be on separate orders so hopefully wont be mixing them up. So whip the case off, take the primary gear off, and.hopefully all good? Thanks lads, hope that fixes it!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online