hydrogen fuel cell

mark 88
This post is 4246 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all has anybody seen these home made hydrogen generators people are making on youtube ? very basically you get fire from water and people are fitting them to there cars. from what ive read the internal combustion engine is quite inefficient around 60%, alot of the fuel is not fully burnt up in the combustion chamber and is past out through the exhaust. when the gas from the cell enters the air intake ( two parts hydrogen one part oxygen) and into the engine it burns rapidly especially with the oxygen it burns everything up in the combustion chanber ensuring all the fuel is used thus increasing fuel efficiency and probably tuque.

one fella used this on his vw Bug and getting 22% more from a full tank.

now a two stroke is very inefficient in its basic principle they waste fuel so i wonder how the cell would alter the engine's performance as well as operating temperature :eusa_think:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

interesting, I though the thermal efficiency was more like 40%.

CHP (combined heat and power) generators are about 90% efficient.

I have tried making these generators, quite good fun actually.. Blown two of them up getting to over confident on the amperages being put in makes the wires hot enough to ignite the browns gas..One hell of a bang for sure.Be very careful if you do play with this stuff.. It is extremely flamable.. I was going to fit it to an old CX500 but have now sold off all my bikes. I would however like to build something along the lines of about a 5 litlre water capacity system and fit it to my van and see what happens. I have heard it does work.. But it consumes more power that tyou can actually get out of it. if that makes sense.

My theory is this.. As long as my fuel consuption get better then its all good..

Gimme a thorium powered vehicle any day!

I would not try it on a 2 stroke as your oil mixture would be impossible to to correct . And would most likely cause it to seize from lack of lubercation. As thermal eff. is increased so is the temperature of the eng.

Not to mention the whole contraption would look pretty :hah: stupid straped to the side of a bike

true dt502001 but the idea of my dtr 125 doing 70 mph up a hill would boost its coolness up so much nobody would care about the 45 gallon drum strapped to the back lol :pinkpleased:

ive tryed making them to using my bikes battery but the reaction is not strong enough

from what ive read the internal combustion engine is quite inefficient around 60%,

Ha Ha Ha your kidding, about 20% of the energy from the fuel actually makes the vehicle move, over half of it is lost as heat the rest in overcoming internal friction and mass.

If you think about it the internal combustion engine is just a small steam engine with a steam substitute that gives a bigger bang.

We are all running around on 18th century tech.

Benz didn't invent the engine, Triscothic (bet i spelt that wrong) did.

Benz didn't invent the engine, Triscothic (bet i spelt that wrong) did.

you did :babyha:

Bugger :eusa_doh:, Trevithick got him confused with that bloody cricket bloke.

Ahh well,bright side i won the bet.

They tried it on mythbusters and whilst they could get a car to run on bottled hydrogen they could not make a car run from a hydrogen generator of the reccomended size alone.

one thing that has always interested me is an LPG motorcycle, i have an LPG converted kia sportage for towing the bikes'n'stuff around and on petrol it returns 25-30mpg (2.0L DOHC petrol), whereas on LPG it returns around 25mpg but LPG is nearly half the price of petrol, my XJ600 will do about 120 miles on £20 of petrol, theoretically if i could LPG it i would be able to do the same miles for half the money running it on gas.

food for thought... its this kind of thinking that usually ends up with me getting "another project"

They tried it on mythbusters and whilst they could get a car to run on bottled hydrogen they could not make a car run from a hydrogen generator of the reccomended size alone.

one thing that has always interested me is an LPG motorcycle, i have an LPG converted kia sportage for towing the bikes'n'stuff around and on petrol it returns 25-30mpg (2.0L DOHC petrol), whereas on LPG it returns around 25mpg but LPG is nearly half the price of petrol, my XJ600 will do about 120 miles on £20 of petrol, theoretically if i could LPG it i would be able to do the same miles for half the money running it on gas.

food for thought... its this kind of thinking that usually ends up with me getting "another project"

Its been done but its a bit of a dud as the weight of the tank and the crappy range make it difficult to justify.

I'll happily put the petrol into my 200bhp/litre motorcycle, if my rangy made that much power its peak output would be around 900bhp, hhmmmmmm?

you are right there gynic but its extremely profitable, how much money do you think is spent in a year on keeping internal combustion engines lubed and fueled? that's a lot of money to be made. i never thought of l.p.g that's an idea the fuel tank would be quite heavy, aluminium probably not take the pressure. if money was no issue titanium would have a high strength to weight ratio higher than alluminium.

i read an article once in a mini mag ......

it went on the theory that most of the energy generated by the combustion engine is lost in heat, so why not use it to generate steam and use the steam for a power stroke? its a little hard to explain but il give it a go....

he managed to convert an A series mini engine into a petrol / steam engine, the engine would do 1 cycle on petrol then 1 cycle on water (it was a 4 piston engine, 2 pistons go to tdc at any 1 time) vapor delivered via a modified injector system, the vapor would enter the barrel turn into steam and push against the piston. he did loose a little hp but it made up for it in mpg!

basically he managed to cut his fuel cost in half by increasing his mpg to about 50 or 60 miles, and he predicted that with enough research and development 70+mpg was possible. plus it lowered the engine temperature which theoretically would make your engine last longer.

the problem he had was that he couldnt find funding to work out the kinks and go forward into development but the theory was sound and he backed it up with a decent prototype.

i read an article once in a mini mag ......

it went on the theory that most of the energy generated by the combustion engine is lost in heat, so why not use it to generate steam and use the steam for a power stroke? its a little hard to explain but il give it a go....

he managed to convert an A series mini engine into a petrol / steam engine, the engine would do 1 cycle on petrol then 1 cycle on water (it was a 4 piston engine, 2 pistons go to tdc at any 1 time) vapor delivered via a modified injector system, the vapor would enter the barrel turn into steam and push against the piston. he did loose a little hp but it made up for it in mpg!

basically he managed to cut his fuel cost in half by increasing his mpg to about 50 or 60 miles, and he predicted that with enough research and development 70+mpg was possible. plus it lowered the engine temperature which theoretically would make your engine last longer.

the problem he had was that he couldnt find funding to work out the kinks and go forward into development but the theory was sound and he backed it up with a decent prototype.

And a penny gets you 10 if you look deep enough the petrochemicals would have been the ones killing it.

Sounds way too complicated for me, think I'll stick to my Flux Capacitor

• 2 months later...

Stako make 7 litre lpg tanks designed to fit inside topboxes, then all you would need is a small reducer, another standalone ECU and injector(s), i read somewhere that all scooters in shanghai are LPG as they wont allow petrol ones on the roads? (wether there is truth in that i do not know), it wouldnt be all that difficult to make one run on lpg i dont think, may be something i should consider, would be great for nipping around the base

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online