1981 Yamaha xt250, anyone had one? have one?

nathan123
This post is 4305 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just passed my a2 test the other day so i'll be on this beast for 2 years until I move up to a nice 500 or something, always been into classic bikes and this falled nicely under the temporary 33bhp limit!

Got its MOT in a few days so havent had a chance to properly go on it yet, just up and down my road. Feels very punchy and for a 250 the torque is pretty fierce. Just wanted to know if any of you fine people have had any experiences with these before? either positive or negative!

thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just passed my a2 test the other day so i'll be on this beast for 2 years until I move up to a nice 500 or something, always been into classic bikes and this falled nicely under the temporary 33bhp limit!

Got its MOT in a few days so havent had a chance to properly go on it yet, just up and down my road. Feels very punchy and for a 250 the torque is pretty fierce. Just wanted to know if any of you fine people have had any experiences with these before? either positive or negative!

thanks.

Well done Nathan, XT250 are nice bikes for starters , my 18 year old rides on and loves it. Its rattles a bit but still keeps going and

and keeps going up in price. If you have a look at www.xt500.co there is a lad on there who has restored one and has made a cracking job on it.

Cant fault having a classic, always wanted an XT500 myself and now i have one or two.

TTB :spin2:

I'll check out that website tommy cheers! And will put some pics up of the bike now and how it did look before the restoration. Thanks for the replies, just got another query...

Obviously this is subjective to each bike and relative to the quality of the parts etc, but how do you think it will handle on the motorway? Obviously I'm not talking tearing up the right hand lanes and constantly over taking but do you think it would be happy cruising in the left hand lane at around 60-65mph?

Thanks guys!

I'm a fan. Had a few XL's of same vintage and mates had XT's. Should do 65mph but depends on your weight and gearing and you wouldn't be getting much more unless you want to blow it up. Gotta look after the old ones.

Cool! where the xl's 2 strokes or four? Yeah I know the top speed could be better and im not expecting too much cos it's a pretty heavy bloody bike as well so im quite pleased that its as quick off the line as it is!

Does anyone know if there are any modern exhaust mods I could use on it?

hi nathan.just to let you know when looking for engine parts the yamaha sr250 uses the same engine

Oh ok that's handy then, was very hard to find parts on eBay and stuff durin the rebuild so probably would've gone quicker if I knew that back then. Will keep you all posted on how the Mot goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. I'm new to this forum. My brother gave me his old 1981 Yamaha xt250. And it runs good but I recently took the motor apart and put in a new piston and rings and put it back together did the timing right and everything. And now it starts and runs but the valves sounds really weird. I tuned them to the right specs and it didn't help. It kinda went away but its still there. And now sometimes when you start it the kick start kicks back up really hard. If anyone can help me I will greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Robert.

Passed its mot! And officially on the road. Took it out for ages yesterday and is great fun on back roads and dual carriage ways, albeit the suspension leaves a bit much to be desired for a trails bike! Rob, what source are you getting the specs from?

I got them from searching around on the internet. The valves seem fine today but it still kicks back pretty hard when you try and start it. I've been tinkering with it this morning and I'm stumped. The piston is at technology the lines match up the valves are perfect so I can't understand it at all.

Dented the left side panel the other day whilst riding and had a quick look for replacements online.. THEY GO FOR £60 +!!! criminal. But seems I have no other choice :(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online