1993 XJ400 Diversion not starting

scarfacetm1984
This post is 3297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again guys.Having a problem starting the bike.New battery,new plugs but it doesn't fire up.I know its obvious thing after all bike was standing for 2 years,but where should i start?fuel pipes,carbs?Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What happens when you try to start it? You said you have new plugs... have you checked for spark? You know you have fuel? Does the bike have a petcock? Is it in the on position? Does the bike require you to pull in the clutch when you start it? Is there a side stand cutoff switch? I know those are all pretty basic, but those are the only suggestions I can think of off the top of my head. If the bike turns over but doesn't catch it could very well be something entirely different. I'm sure the folks on here have loads of experience getting machines started after years of standing. :D

What happens when you try to start it? You said you have new plugs... have you checked for spark? You know you have fuel? Does the bike have a petcock? Is it in the on position? Does the bike require you to pull in the clutch when you start it? Is there a side stand cutoff switch? I know those are all pretty basic, but those are the only suggestions I can think of off the top of my head. If the bike turns over but doesn't catch it could very well be something entirely different. I'm sure the folks on here have loads of experience getting machines started after years of standing. :D

Hi Sacha,when i try to start ,it just turns over and over and nothing happening.took spark plugs out ,squirted some petrol inside and it fired.It has about 2 gallons in tank.Petcock in ON position.

Removed tank today and cleaned couple hoses as thought there is blockage,still no luck.

Thanks for reply by the way.

Can you bump start it?

Has about 2 gallons, from bone dry?

Will she go if you use reserve or prime?

How old is the fuel in the tank, modern stuff is crap and an engine that hasn't run for a while may need some fresh stuff to run. Where when its in regularish use it will be ok on older fuel. Like its used once a month :crazy: and the fuel is 6 months old before its filled.

Has about 2 gallons, from bone dry?

Will she go if you use reserve or prime?

How old is the fuel in the tank, modern stuff is crap and an engine that hasn't run for a while may need some fresh stuff to run. Where when its in regularish use it will be ok on older fuel. Like its used once a month :crazy: and the fuel is 6 months old before its filled.

Hi Cynic,fuel in a tank is about 2 years old,so i've put 2 gallons of fresh one.still no luck.tried it in RES/PRIME/ON

It's my first bike,so thats how i start it:key is on,light neutral went on,pressing button RUN and then START.Oil light comes on,bike's turning over but not starting.

Cheers

You did drain the old stuff out of the tank and carbs first?

Unlikely on a 20year old bike, worth making it habit to hold the front brake and the clutch as you press the button though.

2 reasons,

1 Pulling the clutch reduces the load on the starter as the clutch will not transmit as much load, some but it will give the starter and battery an easier time.

2 If it starts and you do have an issue holding the brake will help stall it, the back brake may work as well but in my exp if something happens you grip tighter,and both feet on the floor is always better.

If you didn't drain the carbs even though you added new fuel you still have the 2 year old rubbish in the carbs and much as you might hope you won't draw the new stuff through. It will gradually dilute as it blends. You would be cranking it for hours before it will go if thats the cause of the prob.

Unlikely on a 20year old bike, worth making it habit to hold the front brake and the clutch as you press the button though.

2 reasons,

1 Pulling the clutch reduces the load on the starter as the clutch will not transmit as much load, some but it will give the starter and battery an easier time.

2 If it starts and you do have an issue holding the brake will help stall it, the back brake may work as well but in my exp if something happens you grip tighter,and both feet on the floor is always better.

If you didn't drain the carbs even though you added new fuel you still have the 2 year old rubbish in the carbs and much as you might hope you won't draw the new stuff through. It will gradually dilute as it blends. You would be cranking it for hours before it will go if thats the cause of the prob.

Yeah you're right was thinking to clean carbs aswell.is it a big job?do i need to dismantle them completely?thanks

Never done a XJ, as far as normall practice goes its an old bike which is a plus. The carbs won't be all fancy they will just be regular cv carbs so they should come off together mounted on a rail of some kind. May have to pull the airbox to get room?

Be worth having a look around the float bowls though as the older stuff quite often had a drain point on the float bowls so you could drain the carbs down, my TDR has and that is a 88 bike.

Never done a XJ, as far as normall practice goes its an old bike which is a plus. The carbs won't be all fancy they will just be regular cv carbs so they should come off together mounted on a rail of some kind. May have to pull the airbox to get room?

Be worth having a look around the float bowls though as the older stuff quite often had a drain point on the float bowls so you could drain the carbs down, my TDR has and that is a 88 bike.

Yeah buddy was thinking about draining them first aswell.Found an unpluged plug near clutch lever,so bypassed them by connecting 2 wires together.still same problem.Side stand a bit greasy too so will try to clean it aswell.

Cheers

Hi again all.Drained the carbs today,still can't start it.tomorrow hopefully going to remove carbs completely and try to clean them.Anything esle i should look at ?It feels like no fuel is getting to the engine itself,may the pump be faulty or something like that?thanks

Yeah buddy was thinking about draining them first aswell.Found an unpluged plug near clutch lever,so bypassed them by connecting 2 wires together.still same problem.Side stand a bit greasy too so will try to clean it aswell.

Cheers

You might want to confirm what it does, depending on the wiring you may have made it definitely not start.

You might want to confirm what it does, depending on the wiring you may have made it definitely not start.

Checked on xj600 service manual and some over websites ,says it clutch lever safety switch,same i've done with side stand switch as it can be problem.So now on carbs or fuel pump otherwise its mystery.I'm in to the cars,but bikes are more complicated for me as its my first bike.cheers

Yes but does it inhibit the bike starting when the wires are connected together, or not connected together.

Yes but does it inhibit the bike starting when the wires are connected together, or not connected together.

Bike turns over same with wires as they were or connected together,bike just don't want to fire.seems like fuel not getting anywhere.thanks

Ok check the pump next then, best to work through logically or you get lost and miss things. Its normally something small that causes the problems.

Did the bike run ok before storage?

This post is 3297 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.