DT125RE WONT START

Keiran95
This post is 4287 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thanks for the reply, i have fitted the new CDI unit that came and its still not starting so i suppose that eliminates that, i have yet to change the rectifier and i will put the battery on charge when i find the charger

Thanks again

Keiran

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nope didn't see this! How do i check and what cover is it i remove?! i now have the bike advertised on a website getting offers left right and centre! but would love to get it sorted and keep the FECKER!

you take the left hand cover off, no need to drain oil

put the bike in 3rd gear, then take a hold of the magneto and see if it has come loose by twisting it back and forth

ideally you will use a proper puller and draw it off for a visual check of the key

I really need help, i have just been offered a grand in cash for my bike the way it is..

I have no idea whats wrong with it but i paid 1100 for it and spent around 300 on it,

Do i let it go with a loss or attempt to fix it?

So the bike runs normally when you bump start it except for it not being able to idle and erratic power delivery?

On a seperate note, it sounds as if the YPVS isnt working correctly either, possibly due to lack of electric current reaching the servo.

Has the bike been de-restricted by earthing the rev limiter circuit?

If so, a dodgy earth could be causing these problems...

Just an idea, as I am not familiar with these newer models with the electric start!

List of possible causes from the workshop manual:

The ignition system fails to operate (no spark or intermittent spark).

1. Main and ignition fuses

2. Battery

3. Spark plug

4. Ignition spark gap

5. Spark plug cap resistance

6. Ignition coil resistance

7. Main switch

8. Engine stop switch

9. Neutral switch

10. Sidestand switch

11. Pickup coil resistance

12. Wiring connections (of the entire ignitionsystem)

I still think its the battery.

for example (NO power,POWER,NO power,POWER!,No power) Now i have thought about it, when i went to take my bike out for a spin it would usually idle in neutral with no problems what so ever but that day it wouldnt it would cut out everytime i left it in neutral with no revs idleing..

I had a similar problem with a TZR, it always happened when it was wet. I tried everything with the electrical and fuel system but to no avail, I was truly baffled!

The cause had nothing to do with the electrials or fuel, it was water getting under the throttle grip and the throttle closing of its own accord without me being aware of it.

As someone posted earlier, it could possibly be something very trivial!

Sounds like a battery the plates in the battery can shift and temporaly short out the battery. But a faulty ignition switch can cause power to cut in and out,the contacts can get worn esp.if you have lots of keys hanging from it. Try hot wireing (red to brown I belive check a wire schematic if you have red brown black and black with white then it is red to brown) it and by passing the side stand as mentioned above,kill switch unplug it and the ignition control unit ,If it runs then start pluging in 1 thing at a time.And check the voltage comming to the battery needs to be 12.7 or higher at idle

I would suggets an new plug and cap the cap has a 5ohm restior in it and also can cut in and out this will cost you under 20 bucks.Check your mag as noted above and the earth mentioned in this quote below if you do all of this you should find your problem in less than 2 hours. Good Luck

So the bike runs normally when you bump start it except for it not being able to idle and erratic power delivery?

On a seperate note, it sounds as if the YPVS isnt working correctly either, possibly due to lack of electric current reaching the servo.

Has the bike been de-restricted by earthing the rev limiter circuit?

If so, a dodgy earth could be causing these problems...

Just an idea, as I am not familiar with these newer models with the electric start!

List of possible causes from the workshop manual:

The ignition system fails to operate (no spark or intermittent spark).

1. Main and ignition fuses

2. Battery

3. Spark plug

4. Ignition spark gap

5. Spark plug cap resistance

6. Ignition coil resistance

7. Main switch

8. Engine stop switch

9. Neutral switch

10. Sidestand switch

11. Pickup coil resistance

12. Wiring connections (of the entire ignitionsystem)

Thanks again, i've got the battery on charge and i'll let you know how i get on tomorrow.. i'm going to try all of the above and hope i get somewhere, im really thankfull for all of your time & help!

Thanks again

Dont give up on it, its probably something really minor and stupid.

It looks like its a electric fault right? Is the battery holding a charge? Maybe try jumping it from a car?

If that doesnt work go through the wiring loom to make sure there are no corroded connections and give it a bit of wd40 as this can sometimes work its magic. Might even be a dodgey earth? Piece of piss to fix if it is and would stop it from sparking.

Keep going dude!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online