DT125RE WONT START

Keiran95
This post is 4287 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay so i took my bike out for a ride the other day & i needed a pee so turned the bike of on the ignotion, went for a pee went to ride of again and the bike just wouldnt start of the button, i checked i had fuel, the fuel tap was on, the kill switch ect and still no joy so after a few minutes of pissing about i decided to try and pump start it and it started straight away! so while it was working i headed home the bike ran perfect after i got it started but then i decided to go out again later that day and it just died on me as if i had ran out of fuel but i know for a fact i had a full tank of petrol, but it seemed like it was dieing then running okay then dieing again

for example (NO power,POWER,NO power,POWER!,No power) Now i have thought about it, when i went to take my bike out for a spin it would usually idle in neutral with no problems what so ever but that day it wouldnt it would cut out everytime i left it in neutral with no revs idleing..

i took my bike to a friend that knows what he is doing and we stripped the carb down to check if there was a blockage and it seemed to be fine. he did manage to get it started from jump leads of his car but as soon as he took the leads of it died again. i am posting here in hope that someone can help me because i have no idea, i am currently bidding on a whole new igniting wiring harness with a CDI and stuff hopefully that will sort it as my mate seems to think it is the CDI although i havent been back to him just yet with my haynes because he is on holiday til sunday,

Thanks for reading, i appreciate all help that you can give

Keiran

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

check your sidestand switch

check it's appearance, tightness, connections and if you have a multimeter check it's function...and wiggle it about to make sure it doesnt affect the reading! Spray it with WD40 pehaps

you can try bypassing it by disconnecting it and bridging out the connectors on the loom, if the bike works now you need a new stand switch and i am NOT recommending you should ride with it disconnected until you get another, that one is up to you

Why do you think its the CDI,,,,,sur didnt the bike fun fine before this happened.

Charge the battery and turn up the idle screw just a little,,,,,,that would by my fisrt thaughts.

What revs did it idle at before??

If it works with jump leads attatched thats surely pointing towards the battery? Batteries can just all of a sudden die, its weird and annoying but they can lose a cell or something (cant remember the technical term)

Check the rectifier as well, make sure the leads have good contact and no corrosion around them.

The cdi sounds fine though.

Youre better off finding the problem before spending money and hoping. With DT's its usually something simple.

thank you all for replying, i am going to go and have a play with the side stand switch and see if it will start, my friend said that it doesnt seem to be sparking, i guess that the sidestand switch would stop this from happening because it doesnt want you to ride away with the stand down?

The stand switch could be faulty i guess but i thought it may have started at least? Its simple to bypass so its worth a try.

But why did the bike start with jump leads attatched?

its beyond me, i'm really getting annoyed with it! coming seriously close to just selling it as it is...

my mate has tested the sidestand switch with a multimeter and he said it isn't that so i am waiting for the new ignition wiring harness to come along with a rectifer and CDI hopefully this will sort it, ifnot get a coil????

The bike should start with side stand down,,,provided the bike is not in gear.

Whats the story now,,,, what is the bike trying to do when you try to start it,,,,,what sounds ????

Is there no spark at the plug when its out and earthed on the head ????

Have you checked the kill switch for loose or coroded wires ???

Is there any clicking coming from anywhere on the bike,,,eg. starter or little white neutrel bok at back of bike ???

When you hit the start button what happens ! nothing or does it turn over ???

Does the plug get wet when its turning over but not starting ???

If ya have no spark, start at the plug and work backwords, all the way to the coil.

Is everything else on the bike working when the ignition is on ??? lights,, indicators,, horn,, speedo lights ???

When i hit the button it makes the correct noises it just doesn't start, its turning over but just wont go :(

i have checked for a spark with it earthed to the exhaust and it doesn't seem to spark

the lights on the dash will light up like normal but the indicators have never worked but the horn & speedo lights & lights work

unsure on the plug getting wet or not i'll check very soon for you and get back to you

i really appreciate the help by the way guys, i have a very short temper and dont like it when things go wrong lol

Edited by Keiran95

When i hit the button it makes the correct noises it just doesn't start, its turning over but just wont go :(

i have checked for a spark with it earthed to the exhaust and it doesn't seem to spark

the lights on the dash will light up like normal but the indicators have never worked but the horn & speedo lights & lights work

unsure on the plug getting wet or not i'll check very soon for you and get back to you

i really appreciate the help by the way guys, i have a very short temper and dont like it when things go wrong lol

Earth the plug on the head of the engine, the exhaust is held on the bike but there are also rubbers here,,,, so you wont be getting a propper earth.

Did you try a plug that you KNOW is working ???

i have never had the magneto rotor off and i dont have a brandnew plug but i have a few in my garage that i have ended up with over the years and the one that was in it when it broke down on me

just checked if the plug, its getting wet

running out of ideas!!! :(

i have never had the magneto rotor off and i dont have a brandnew plug but i have a few in my garage that i have ended up with over the years and the one that was in it when it broke down on me

just checked if the plug, its getting wet

running out of ideas!!! :(

And, is it gettin yet ???

What about spark with plug earthed ???

Stick in a few of them plugs ya have there and try for spark !!!

EDIT: sorry miss read your post,,,, it is gettin yet

The bike should start with side stand down,,,provided the bike is not in gear.

Whats the story now,,,, what is the bike trying to do when you try to start it,,,,,what sounds ????

Is there no spark at the plug when its out and earthed on the head ????

Have you checked the kill switch for loose or coroded wires ???

Is there any clicking coming from anywhere on the bike,,,eg. starter or little white neutrel bok at back of bike ???

When you hit the start button what happens ! nothing or does it turn over ???

Does the plug get wet when its turning over but not starting ???

If ya have no spark, start at the plug and work backwords, all the way to the coil.

Is everything else on the bike working when the ignition is on ??? lights,, indicators,, horn,, speedo lights ???

Check all the simple stuff, try starting it again with the jump leads to see if it will fire up again.

Could be battery/rectifier.

Not having these on the opposing side of the Big Water, am unfamiliar but one post said it started with a jump from a car battery but died when disconnected from same. Does this use a magneto or an alternator/generator? Sounds like the latter from the posts, and if so, I would lean heavily toward battery and/or alternator. Especially since you were able to pump-start it to get it home - sounds like the battery had just enough left to limp home on and then gave up. Have you checked the battery voltage?

The battery is near to dead at the moment due me not able to get the bike running & all the attempts i have made to get it started, still no luck at the moment for me :(

Connect up the jump leads again and try and start it. Sounds like battery to me. Could be battery and just that it's flooding when you're trying to start it. Once you've tried it and it doesnt stard. Take the plug out and heat/dry it over the stove.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online