Model number from frame

This post is 4291 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everybody, first time on here.

Youve probably been asked this question before......

How do I decode a 9-digit VIN number?

I have an old XT250 now, which I think is a 1984 XT250L model, but have no other paperwork.

The frame number is 30X-004997.

Any ideas?

Rog

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI roger57 most vin search sites are actually set up for 17 digit vins though if you search really hard you may find one! im having similar problems. could tap in vin decoder to search bar, or motoverse vin decoder or check out ehow sites or how-to sites. or just tap in 9 digit vin decoder, got a link in favourites for vin decoders but dont know how to paste them onto this screen for ya, i can copy but they just wont paste????????

Welcome rodger & Harry, the anorack"s will be along shortly,,, or post up in workshop section, as all members do not look in here, :eusa_snooty:

only the die hard members,,, :spin2:

1983 xt250 from that number, if you need a dating certificate contacy Paul Dawkins on here, he is a a DVLA approved dating officer for yamahas

1983 xt250 from that number, if you need a dating certificate contacy Paul Dawkins on here, he is a a DVLA approved dating officer for yamahas

Damn good stuff from all you guys, thanks. A very helpful lady called Caroline from Yambits (I'm sure y'all know her!) has told me that the bike is in fact a 1983 XT250L Dual Purpose (?) and the 30X prefix means that it is a Japanese import, not a US import as I was told by the bloke I bought it off. I have the DVLA registration pack so presumably can now fill it in and send it off to get the bike registered?

No hurry though because it has certain, erm, issues that need to be resolved before it can hit the road.For example the rubber diaphragm which supports the main jet valve is perished and the cheapest I can find is about 80 quid!

Mervin,

Do I need a dating cert (sounds like fun...havent been on a date for 30 years - wife wont let me...) and if so how do I contact Paul?

Any favourite parts suppliers? Anybody? Please? Breakers?

Blackhat,

D'you reckon I'm better posting this topic in the workshop section? Its only here because I'm a newbie to the club....

Sorry chaps, but the devil is in the detail. That should be XT250K, not XT250L as stated before....

If you do not have a registartion number then you will need a dating certificate to get an age related plate, if you do not provide proof of age you will get the dreaded Q plate which can cause all kinds of problems like not being able to insure fuly comp etc,

Yambits are good for parts, also you will be surpirsed sometiomes at what is availalbe form Yamaha,

Granby,s of Ilkeston are very helpful with classic parts , some of the big shops that ar only interested in sellling you a new bike on finance most probably will not want to know,

To Contact Paul select send message in his profile HERE

OK. So I have a parts catalogue on CD. Its the right one so now I need to order some parts. Somebody mentioned that Yamaha themselves may be able to supply and the prices may (!) not be too bad. I know about CMS, but when I went on the Yam website the online parts cat only goes back as far as 1988. So does anybody know how I go about ordering stuff for a 1984 bike from Yamaha?

Is it simply a case of going to my local dealer (hate that) or can I do it online?

Cheers

Steve

depends who your local dealer is, as i say above it maybe worth phoning Granby,s of Ilkeston

Or for online you maybe able to do it from AJ Suttonms website

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/modelImage.asp?modelID=11135&m=YAMAHA+XT250K+DUAL+PURPOSE&uID=0

• 4 weeks later...

Im having the same problem too... I have a FZR400 EXUP with the 9 digit VIN 1WG-043144.

Please can someone help, the guy I bought her off was waffling on about it being some special edition and had a different frame or something and I need to get parts and also insure it, but I havent a clue wha model it is... Judging by the stickers its a TZR... but then there is a sticker on the other side that is a FZR!! lol! I think someone has gone a bit slap happy with the stickers and I have established that it is definitely an FZR... but what one??

Its a 1991 model if that makes the world of difference? Please help!

G x

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online