oil

chip2222
This post is 6734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Yep there is big differences even though they still lubricate, i read a very intersting article from mobil on this on the net, but cant remember where.

I seem to remember the clutch was the main thing

• Admin

Right heres my stab at it then!

Cars compared to bikes demand long service intervals so the oil has to be designed for this. The oils therefore have friction-modifiers and other additives in to keep them working for a longer time

If you use car oil in your bike, the friction-modifiers cause a problem because most motorbikes have a wet clutch.

Car oil gets onto the clutch, the friction-modifiers get to work and you'll end up with a slipping clutch.

Bike oil doesnt have friction-modifiers, so you dont get this problem. Im pretty sure but oils for wet clutches have an MA label on it.

Another thing to consider, is that car oils are not designed for a gearbox. The meshing of the gears shears the oil which does not happen with a lovely smooth crank. Which causes car oil to foam, losing its lubrication.

Motorbike temperature flucuates a lot quicker than a car. Larger mass of the car engine combined with the larger amount of fluids and a sealed engine bay mean the temp changes are less pronounced. The higher power output of a bike engine compard to size means higher temps with less fluids and metal to absorb the temp change, causes rapid change in temp during operation. Which means the oil needs a better temp tolerance to cope with this. Finally car oils tend to be very thin and will burn off and some may get past the rings and burn off.

And on top of all this a motorbike revs 4 times higher than cars.

This site gives good info regarding oils

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/i...eoil_bible.html

Chip, there are some twit's who are slowly creeping into this forum like Vin Diesel and Eddy Irish.

We need a admin tick box where we can just block there posts :P, or an individual one would be cool.

hi

alexasigno....many thanks for your reply i think i know what you mean and i now know not to use car oil as i was tempted a little.

smitty...glad you share the same feeling...tick box would be a good idea but it might get abused.

ta to all

J

• Admin

No probs mate, hope you understand my waffle.

As for a filter maybe a gun would be better <_<

smitty...glad you share the same feeling...tick box would be a good idea but it might get abused.

Nah an individual list, in your account you have a list of names, so when the page get's displayed it checks to see if there's a match. if so then dont show that post.

It would be weird cause people would be replying to things that u havn't read. So then u might need a thing to temporaly turn off this thing.

Just an idea. Thinking of writing one of these fourm thingies next semester.

I know, very big job. but it's one that ive been thinking off for a while.

It's for an assignment for a web application class that i'm taking next semester.

Done alot of programming before but sever side is new to me, ive done a bugger load of client side, both web (html + javascript) + run of the mill programs(c++, java etc).

• 6 months later...

the two oils car and bike are designed to run at different tempratures' and there are different types of cleaners and de' clogging ingredients between the two types. bike oil usually has to work a lot harder than car oil so is better refined and so costs more.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online