1992 SR125 Running issues

jimmy
This post is 4320 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Afternoon folks

My son rides an SR125, 1992 model. He has owned it for about a year now and it seems relatively incident free, with the exception of the CDI Unit. I had to replace this unit about six months ago, after a lot of head scratching and testing of parts I bit the bullet and replaced the CDI. ..Problem solved!

A couple of weeks ago he started complaining the bike wasnt running right and had no power. I took it a run and sure enough the bike would struggle under load (the engine, not me). There was also an occasional clatter from the top end. Valve clearances and cam chain checked and adjusted. Plug, cap and lead replaced to no avail. He purchased another CDI from ebay and hey presto, the bike is running fine again, He says it has an occasional backfire, but apart from that its fine.

Anyway the questions are

1/ By replacing a 20 year old part with another 20 year old part, this is going to keep happening so... Doeas the newer CDIs work on the older model. I know the pin connections are different but if I just solder on new connections will it work?

2/ and if not, Is it possible to crack open these units and get them repaired from an electronics guy

Thanks for any help here

jimmy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1) Dont know if the newer CDI's will work on the older bikes,,,,,sorry.

2) There's a lad on here "Speedshop" is his name,,,,,, he takes old CDI's and fixes them up,,,,,,,, check him out and see if he can do your model,,,,,,,send him a personal message,,,(PM)

I wonder why the bike keeps burning out the CDI. Is there an underlying prob causing a short or a surge in volts. Might be worth looking over the wiring harnes for bare wires and testing the regulater/rectifier is doing its job correctly.

You probably have checked this anoying kinda crap allready though,,,,,,,havent you !

Electrict's not really my thing,,,,,but best of luck finding the prob.

I think the fact I'm replacing a 20 year old part with another of the same age may be the reason they're failing. As you say, I have went through the whole harness a number of times and the reg/rec is working fine.

Cheers for the speedshop info, I will give him a shout

Well, I just opened up the old unit and it is indeed, sealed in resin....bugger

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online