TDM900 restricted to 33bhp

besty414
This post is 4317 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all just passed my test A2 so will be restricted to 33bhp been trying bikes out, im a bit tall so need a slightly higher bike the usual 600 just dont fit. The tdm 900 feels just right, can anyone tell me how eay it is to restrict and what is the best way to go about it.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You can get the dealer to do it or try yourself. FI international do the kits, but I think they only supply dealers. You might find one on ebay.

I had my 1300 restricted by the dealer & got them to remove it for free as part of the deal

Yamaha offer some free restrictor kits on selected models. So if you;re going to buy a new one maybe try negotiate the kit with the price (incl. removal afterwards too. As per clarkegray!)....

I wish I could afford a new bike, looking at a second hand 2004. Looked on the net and FI come up all the time for £170.0 but as you said will only supply to a dealer. So probable £200 when I’ve taken labour into account.

I wondered if anyone had experience with restricting a tdm 900 and what was used as it seems a bit of a rip off. My insurance company have told me I don’t need to show them a certificate and MCN say they are not worth the paper they are written on. I was thinking of restricting myself and getting a dyno report to prove restriction to 33bhp.

I believe the tdm is an electronic fuel injection so would probably require some sort of electrical chip or a throttle restrictor but not sure what any ideas..

• 3 weeks later...

try http://www.cheap33bhprestrictorkits.com/

however, it is still a grey are if you can fit one yourself or if you need to go to a dealer and pay £220+ for a few washers and a bit of paper . . its a scam ! congrats on passing your test btw the 2 years restriction is a long, slow and painfull few years . . trust me !

I found the 2 years passed quick, and 33bhp is plenty when you're jumping from 12-15bhp, then when the restrictor comes off its like a new bike...

My 1300 was a throttle restrictor. Whilst I appreciate MCNs article, if you've paid for a restrictor and have the certificate from a dealer (and of course you don't remove the restriction) I bet the bike wouldn't be tested by police etc... If you do it yourself then you could have issues...? Then again if the bike is 33bhp you should be alright

As far as I know you need it to be fitted by a dealer, I thought the insurance wanted proof of restriction and your issued a sort of certificate when its been restricted.

As far as I know you need it to be fitted by a dealer, I thought the insurance wanted proof of restriction and your issued a sort of certificate when its been restricted.

When I got my previous bike, I had the dealer supply me with a certificate just in case. But the Insurance never asked to see it, they didn't even ask if the bike was restricted, I simply said it was stock.

Of course I do not recommend unrestricted riding, do as I say and not as I do and all that :eusa_whistle:

Whats the insurance costs on a restricted bike. Hopefully my 18 yr old son will be going through his test this summer and he has his eye on a bigger (restricted) bike. As I will be paying the insurance, I'm interested in the ball park price

Whats the insurance costs on a restricted bike. Hopefully my 18 yr old son will be going through his test this summer and he has his eye on a bigger (restricted) bike. As I will be paying the insurance, I'm interested in the ball park price

It's effectively insured as if it were unrestricted (though you should declare the restriction), you could therefore try out some quotes on mcn compare (other comparisons sites are available). Most insures do state in the small print (the 'endorsements') that if a license has restrictions these must be obeyed for the insurance to be valid.

It's effectively insured as if it were unrestricted (though you should declare the restriction), you could therefore try out some quotes on mcn compare (other comparisons sites are available). Most insures do state in the small print (the 'endorsements') that if a license has restrictions these must be obeyed for the insurance to be valid.

I've just come out of my restricted period - got the certificate and all that carry on. No one ever asked about the restriction or asked to see the certificate - including the insurers .... most expensive bit of paper (that no one has ever asked for) that I've ever bought !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online