starting??

danzley0
This post is 4284 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i recently am having problems starting my bike

sometimes its fine and starts no problem at other times the battery dies with no key in the ignition

there is a clicking sound when i press the start button sounds like a loose connection but i cant work out where

i have replaced the starter relay and charged the battery and i am currently replacing the choke cable but the problems were before this any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Dan.

How old is the battery? If it is too old it may not be holding a charge.

If it is just "hit and his" it sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Clicking normally means a relay. I would check and clean all the earths and terminals from the battery to the relay and then to the starter motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Clicking (on my bike, anyway) usually means that the battery is just worn out. Get a new one.

I agree with the above. Sounds like the battery is on its way out. Put a multimeter across the terminals and you should get a reading of around 12 - 12.5v. Start the engine and it should rise to around 14.5v

ive tried charging the battery and connected it back up it clicks still and doesnt start ill try borrowing a battery to make sure it is that as funds are limited at the moment ive also changed the starter relay this tip was given to me by my local bike shop it just seems to have made the problem worse so ill see what happens from there

thanks for the advice

• 2 weeks later...

easy way to see would be to bypass the relay at least then you could narrow down the problem.

battery dies with no key in the ignition?

possibly a duff reg/rec unit?

i cant see it .....the reg rect is just diodes that change ac into dc to keep the battery charged and pump 12v dc into the bike from the engine when running, if it was broke then ac current would run to the battery causing it to swell and eventually kill it. if the battery is going flat with no key then either the battery isnt holding its charge (due to old age, needing water, or broke reg rect) or he has a short in the electrics, ..........or he has turned his key too far back and left the parking light on.

yeah a check cant hurt just look through the pdf manual :)

Bad oil pump? can you easily push it and start? Am experiencing this sort of issue, hopefully getting solved tomorrow. :hyper:

• 1 month later...

if its leaking from the bottom of the carb then tighten the screw at the start of the pipe, if its leaking from the top, then the float needle has stuck or you have the petrol tap on prime.

drain carb, then open up the square side, you will see 2 plastic circles that move ....(thats ur float) they control a "needle" at the top where the metal bit is (that joins the 2 plastic circles) , just wiggle it up and down to free it, then put back together.......should sort it out.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online