Problem with rear running light, suggestions anyone?

Natalie
This post is 4342 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so I'm new to all of this and I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do next.

I currently own a SR 125 and the rear running light won't work at all.

I've checked and I know that it's not the ground that's broken, it's the positive.

I was just wondering if anyone knows how to trace where the fault is in the positive?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you checked the bulb? simple thing really but normally one thats over looked.

(Not trying to say you a thick shit)

Yeah It is a dual filament bulb, which has been replaced and does work as the brake light works, is there a way in which I can trace whereabouts my fault is?

My dual filament bulb had the absolute TINIEST break in the wire right next to the post. I couldn't even see it... my husband found it. My brake light worked fine, it was just the tail light wire that was broken. Course I hadn't replaced it though either.

The only other way I can think of to check for faulty wiring would be to trace it out using the wiring diagram and use a continuity meter to check for breaks in the wire. Sorry - not much help.

What year is the bike? Does it have a switch for the lights or are they 'always' on? If it's not the bulb, I would try cleaning all the contact points. if you want to check the positive wire, get a screwdriver that lights up on current and put it in the positive terminal of the plug with lights on. If it lights up, then power is reaching the bulb holder, if it doesn't you'll need to try and trace it back. The screwdriver should also light up in the brake terminal when the brake is pulled.

If you post more details of what you've checked etc we might be able to narrow it down a bit?

Good luck

I've had a few people take a look at it but no one can seem to work out why it won't work :eusa_think:

Bought a Haynes manual today though, and gonna take another look at it tomorrow so hopefully I'll figure out what it is that's wrong with it!

It's a 1991 model and I think the lights are supposed to be always on, but I'm not completely certain. Now that you mention it I should probably find this out! Lol.

Will definitely try everything you've suggested :)

Like I said, I'm new to all of this this, and this is my first ever bike so sorry if I'm not very good at explaining things :shakeno:

Pick up one of these

http://api.viglink.c..._13341278475061

They're cheap and they work

Then once you have tried another new bulb, check the continuity of the wires using the diaghram in the manual to trace the correct colours and junctions etc.

My son has a 1992 model sr125 and the lights have a separate on/off switch. This is located just above the 'leccy start switch

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online