New set of Avon Venoms on xvs650

Toutsuite
This post is 4333 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My draggie's getting a new set of tyres next weekend, as the bridgestones she's got on have done 11000 miles. The front is down to 2mm tread, and the rear is quite a bit flat in the middle. So I'm thinking Avon Venoms as recommended by a few here.

The question I have to any of you who have avons fitted to this bike: Yamaha lists the front tyre size as 100/90-19 in the manual. But Avon seem to only list 100/90-18 and 110/90-19 sizes on their website, and list the 110/90-19 size for the custom 650. So what front tyre size venoms do you lovely people have? Will the 110/90-19 fit my front wheel?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My draggie's getting a new set of tyres next weekend, as the bridgestones she's got on have done 11000 miles. The front is down to 2mm tread, and the rear is quite a bit flat in the middle. So I'm thinking Avon Venoms as recommended by a few here.

The question I have to any of you who have avons fitted to this bike: Yamaha lists the front tyre size as 100/90-19 in the manual. But Avon seem to only list 100/90-18 and 110/90-19 sizes on their website, and list the 110/90-19 size for the custom 650. So what front tyre size venoms do you lovely people have? Will the 110/90-19 fit my front wheel?

bear with me i have two 650's in the garage with venoms on, cant for the life of me remember what size they are, will have a look tomorrow and come back to you, :D

If you put on the bigger tyre size (which shouldn't be an issue) just remember it could make your speedo very accurate - my Fazer had the next size up tyre on the front where the speedo sensor was and it was pretty much spot on with the GPS...

No idea what size. I just tell the fitter bloke what I want and he gets the right ones in, heh heh!

I'd probably get:

Front: 110/90-19 62H

Rear: 170/80B15 83H

Mine last an easy 20,000 and handle great in all weathers, so you've made the right choice!

The guy at Watling tyres in Catford says Avon don't make the front venom in that size anymore, so he'll get a cobra front. Should be fine. I'm having them put on this Saturday.

Taskmeister, cheers for the info re longevity. Any news on the state of your engine btw?

• 2 weeks later...

Loving my venom/cobra tyres! The bike is much more surefooted, and I'm much more confident leaning into bends and corners at all speeds.

Well Venom certainly offer it for sale on their webshite... we bought a full set for Claire's bike the other day!

No news on engines as there's none for sale at sensible prices. Might be able to fit an 1100 engine in, or possibly fix the fecked crank, so I may only need a new con rod.

No idea what size. I just tell the fitter bloke what I want and he gets the right ones in, heh heh!

I'd probably get:

Front: 110/90-19 62H

Rear: 170/80B15 83H

Mine last an easy 20,000 and handle great in all weathers, so you've made the right choice!

task is that the right size for your front??

mines a 130 wide

task is that the right size for your front??

mines a 130 wide

You also have the 650-A, ie the Classic.

Customs have a thinner front ;)