Dragstar 650 top speed

Dejavuagain
This post is 4327 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Lies.

The Drag speedo only goes up to an indicated 110mph, which equates to about 94.5mph in real terms.

You were either going an actual 98mph, or were reading in km.

How do you arrive at that number? I think the speedo error is only about 2-3%, which would put the actual speed at 106.7mph for an indicated 110.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Matt black paint offer more air resistance than shiny chrome ;)

:finger::duel:

seriously she clocked out and a bit, it was on the M6 with my mrs following in the car, its common knowledge that speedo's are over clocked on speed, OOO just realized that if dejaveuagain is clocking 80 tops thats not good news as its prob in the region of 75, could be worth balancing the carbs or loosing a few stone :eusa_whistle: only kidding x

I think balancing carbs would be easier lol

Above 70mph, the average unmodded Dragstar speed is approximately 85% of indicated speed.

Below 40 it's approximately 84% and above 40, it's approximately 90%.

I asked some Yammie bods once, when trying to figure out how fast I was actually going through speed cameras.

Figures are approximate, since the average unmodded Drag is supposed to top out at 92mph.

Well if I go by the speed indicated on my Garmin GPS, on a reasonably flat road, indicated 70 on the speedo is about 67-68 on the GPS. Indicated 30 is about 29 on the GPS. This leads me to believe the margin of error on the speedo is something of the order of 2-4%. Would I be right in assuming that the same goes for the odometer? That would mean we all have lower mileage bikes than we think! :spin2:

the margin of error on the speedo is something of the order of 2-4%.

Speed camera"s are set at 3% over,to allow for any error, Touts is about right, :thumb:

But lets face it The dragsters are heavy - and airo dynamic as a barn door, Gonna have to be set-up perfect to achieve 100+

My 1300 has a top speed on the clock of 130mph. I've heard elsewhere it'll hit the peg on the speedo but I have no idea what the top speed is? I know my bike weighs a tad more than yours but if 700cc only gets me an additional 15mph that's not fantastic...

My speedo is about 2-4 mph out compared to GPS

GASCO and all speed cameras are set at plus 10% plus 2mph to allow for speedo discrepancies. so you can do 78 and not get flashed.

But you need a gps to be sure.

My gps reads 87 when I manage to get my 650 showing 90, but I have got a screen on it.

My 1300 has a top speed on the clock of 130mph. I've heard elsewhere it'll hit the peg on the speedo but I have no idea what the top speed is? I know my bike weighs a tad more than yours but if 700cc only gets me an additional 15mph that's not fantastic... My speedo is about 2-4 mph out compared to GPS

The 535 Virago actually has a touch more power than the 650 Drag!

But then, the Drag weighs 230kg and only has 40BHP, most of which is low-end torque.

It all depends on your set-up.

A 700cc Deauville will destroy a Drag on performance.

The 535 Virago actually has a touch more power than the 650 Drag!

More accurately, it has a higher power-to-weight ratio, so is quicker off the line.

Regarding claimed horsepower, when I had my draggie dyno-ed last November while she was being rejetted, she registered 35hp at the back wheel. Now she had done some 33K miles at the time, but even so, I thought losing 5 ponies, or 12.5% of the original power was a bit excessive. But after a bit of googling it seems the power transfer loss between crank and bak wheel could be anything between 10% and 20% for motorbikes. So I'm pretty sure the 40hp quote is at the crank, not the back wheel.

I know it depends on the bike, my old 600cc fazer would outpace my 1300 no problems, but the 650 draggie and 1300 are similar beasts....

Yip toutsy " even more loss with a Shafty than a chain,, The old XS650 would probably put out more horse ,, :eusa_think:

well on way home from college(gas training) i decided to rip the shit outa my draggy

it was a bit windy but i got a whole 92/93 out the old girl (cant be exact the needle was just by the 90 mark)

and it was bloody loud haha

my old gs500 was a lot quicker lol

but riding a dragstar is not about speed

its a statement

Hi all I have just recently bought Dragstar 650. I know speed was never going to be as good as my 600 Bandit.

But I get 80mph flat out, is this normal?

What kind of speed were you hoping to get out of it? I ride a 650 Dragstar (that has been restricted) but although I know it's capable of 70+ prefer to do what it says on the 'box' and cruise along on it . . . .

The 650 are supposed to have the rev limiter set at 7200 rpm, so with the final drive ratio that equates to 103 mph tops.

Its the max torque at 3000 rpm that I like about the bike, you don't have to ring its neck to get it moving.

Max speed in each gear based on the rev limiter below:

Max revs 7200 rpm, (Max Torque @ 3000 rpm)

1st = 37MPH

2nd = 53MPH

3rd = 69MPH

4th = 86MPH

5th = 103MPH

This is all way over my head, I'm just glad that mine can and will achieve the national speed limit. I bought a cruiser for leisurely cruising around, enjoying the scenery and the whole experience of being on the bike. I'm more than happy to allow those who wish to, to whizz passed me, leaving me to trundle along at my unrushed pace.

I know I'm in a very small minorty, but there must be some other riders out there who share my take on things . . . .

I know it depends on the bike, my old 600cc fazer would outpace my 1300 no problems, but the 650 draggie and 1300 are similar beasts....

Both generally top out around the same speed, but the 1300 will kick fuck out of a 650 on performance, 0-60, etc. Even the 1100 is noticably more beast with 20 more horses and less of a percentage increase in weight.

I know I'm in a very small minorty, but there must be some other riders out there who share my take on things . . . .

I go as fast as is practical, I am able and is sensible at the time.

I am often accused of treating my Cruiser like a Hoolie Bike, mainly by the comparatively sedate other half... I do outride a fair few bikes that should be whipping me, though. It all depends on my mood - I like slow, controlled corners and scraping the pegs at 10mph. The best feeling is getting a corner perfect!

This is all way over my head, I'm just glad that mine can and will achieve the national speed limit. I bought a cruiser for leisurely cruising around, enjoying the scenery and the whole experience of being on the bike. I'm more than happy to allow those who wish to, to whizz passed me, leaving me to trundle along at my unrushed pace.

Not that small, everyones in too much of a hurry these days.

Chill and relax :yeah:

Not that small, everyones in too much of a hurry these days.

Chill and relax :yeah:

Exactly. You can leave the ripping around to all the street/sport bikes. The reason I got the XVS650 as my first 'proper' bike was to take it easy.

It does make the wife laugh though when I get nods off all other bikers when passing or at lights :biglaugha:

Couldn't agree more, went out for a ride last Sunday on some of the favoured roads around my way, and must have had at least 20 sports bikes pass me, and rode home from work yesterday with the wife on the back, when we got home she said you do fidget a lot don't you I asked what she meant, well your head is always nodding around, I explained it was due to all the other bikes we passed... Doh!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online